James Trafford

Called this yesterday when I saw our bench.

It is a classic of the genre if we go for him and don't upgrade other more obviously crucial positions. We are obsessed with long term planning and securing targets we want when the opportunity arises rather than addressing immediate issues in the XI. Generally I appreciate the calculated nature of it all - but it feels particularly jarring right now.

Edited by ponsaelius

1 minute ago, gdm said:

If true, what are we doing? What’s the strategy? 

Vlad leaves on loan, Dubravka on a permanent. Trafford becomes number 2 with an eye to taking over from Pope in a year or so, Ruddy becomes what he joined for (3rd choice and English qualified) & Gillespie continues to have the best job in the world.

Just now, KDT said:

Vlad leaves on loan, Dubravka on a permanent. Trafford becomes number 2 with an eye to taking over from Pope in a year or so, Ruddy becomes what he joined for (3rd choice and English qualified) & Gillespie continues to have the best job in the world.

Precisely

Hardly surprising. Everyone other than Pope is dog shit, the Greek lad was signed solely for FFP and the 3, arguably 4 positions we've targeted all summer are CB, RW, GK, and (if the Hezze link is true) DM. 

All positions that do need strengthening. 

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Called this yesterday when I saw our bench.

It is a classic of the genre if we go for him and don't upgrade other more obviously crucial positions. We are obsessed with long term planning and securing targets we want when the opportunity arises rather than addressing immediate issues in the XI. Generally I appreciate the calculated nature of it all - but it feels particularly jarring right now.

Your post yesterday about getting good and not being side tracked by perfection is bang on. 

Yeah when you look through the noise we do definitely still need a either a long term or immediate Pope replacement (which is why we have looked at both Trafford and Mamardashvilli). That hasn't changed from the start of the window, it just seems bizarre because we signed that Greek lad for accountancy and haven't been able to shift Dubravka.

Just now, Gh0StFaC3 said:

Would have much preferred spending £30M on Mamardashvili

We can’t afford a centre half & winger never mind £40m keeper 

Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

Loan with an option/obligation is not a bad deal

But if we do this and don't bother with a RW then it's a bit ludicrous 

Actually, I typed this without thinking

I meant buying him but immediately loaning him back to Burnley wouldn't be a bad deal as last season he looked very raw, needs minutes but getting a young keeper in is needed 

1 minute ago, Gh0StFaC3 said:

Would have much preferred spending £30M on Mamardashvili

Especially if we're not actually going to spend any money on a CB or RW. Might as well get a great goalkeeper.