Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Strawberry

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The club have done pretty much everything right, so we should believe there’s a sensible plan to whatever they’re planning to do next? 

They've overspent in the transfer market and we need to sell our most promising youngster to become FFP compliant. We likely need to sell productive first-team players to buy anyone.

We had about £130-170m worth of talent barely contributing last season.

They have done a lot right. But they have not done "pretty much everything right".

Like.. people are trying to suggest Chris Wood was a good transfer. It didn't really work out how most would've wanted but we got our money back and stayed up - it's a lucky escape in truth. No need to rewrite history,

Me in April: I can't wait for this season to end and for people to stop being at eachothers throats about our performances and squad depth.

Me in June: I can't wait for the football season to start again to stop people being at each others throats over who we may or may not sign.

I'm a fickle man apparently. :lol:

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

They've overspent in the transfer market and we need to sell our most promising youngster to become FFP compliant. We likely need to sell productive first-team players to buy anyone.

They have done a lot right. But they have not done "pretty much everything right".

Like.. people are trying to suggest Chris Wood was a good transfer. It didn't really work out how most would've wanted but we got our money back and stayed up - it's a lucky escape in truth. No need to rewrite history,

Is this ‘we overspent’ argument new? What would have been the difference if we spent less last summer (preparing for a busy CL season) so we could spend more now? 

I’ve heard doubts about a few of our signings here and there but I haven’t heard the argument that we spent too much overall. 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

How was Wood a bad transfer?

He came in and contributed to us going on top 4 form for half a season.

We overpaid due to circumstance but do the people using him as a bad example genuinely think we'd have been better off keeping that £25m?

Edited by Hanshithispantz

I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing the merits of a signing. 

DCL appears to be a replacement for Wilson. He'd give us the option to go far more direct with his ariel strength and hold up play, but his finishing isn't as good and he is rather injury prone.

While I have complete faith in our recruitment, given they've barely put a foot wrong, this feels like a sideways move so that we can shift Minteh and Wilson for PSR purposes.

21 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

so the things that went wrong were the clubs fault and the things that went right were a lucky escape - got it.

58 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

But Gordon was very young, we knew he had pace to burn and that he was a pressing machine. And no major injury worries. Huge potential that is being realised.

DCL does not have the same attributes. He’s been living off a purple patch from 4 years ago and his next injury will probably keep him out for a few months. I don’t get it, I’d honestly rather have Chris Wood back.. at least he’s reliable in terms of his body not breaking down.

Its a luxury signing when you know the rest of your squad is 100% - but it’s not though is it.

Sometimes I really wonder which Calvert Lewin I've been watching.

That guy is at least 6 ft 2, he is quick and strong, and has an incredible work rate. All things Howe values. He has also shown he will score goals under better circumstances.

It has also been shown and stated multiple times now that his injury record is being exaggerated. Never mind the fact that he is not coming in to be our lead man upfront and so won't be under the same rigorous demands.

I cannot wait for August to come around,if we sign this guy, because when the guy gets on the pitch in the kind of team we have built it's going to be really interesting to see what people have to say then.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

How are we fire selling players?!

We have to raise X amount by the end of the month and are selling valuable assets to do so. We are selling because we have too.. I guess it's not at rock bottom prices but it seems we are gaming the system with Everton for mutual beneficial fees.

Certainly - if we had not gotten ourselves into an FFP hole, we wouldn't be selling Minteh in June or at all.

IMO we didn't think the punishment for falling foul of FFP would be so severe.

The trouble is everyone agrees Howe has done a great job to date, however some think we should just trust everything he does and it’ll turn out good as he’s earned that trust, whereas others and I’d probably include myself here are happy to question individual decisions along the way rightly, or wrongly.

Not worth getting heated over, for what it’s worth so far this window I’m happy enough with Kilman link wouldn’t be my first choice as wanted a pacy right sided CB, but not particularly happy with Trafford and DCL links.

I feel starting 11 needs strengthening, but can see view that the bottom line needs upping in the squad difficult balancing act.

I don’t agree with Brexit Eddie but I do think he clearly favours PL experience, which I think is the wrong approach if where looking to close the gap and just to safe in my opinion.

Edited by Whitley mag

54 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Anyone doubting a transfer is beaten with the Anthony Gordon stick.[emoji38]

Rightly so, and tbf, it's not just the Gordon stick, it's the Pope stick, what's looking likely to be the Hall stick, what could be the Barnes stick and to an extent the Livramento stick.

Meanwhile, some of the players this forum has had the most clamour for since the takeover: Lodi, Paqueta, Maddison, Diaby, Targett, Szbozslai, Minteh. Hardly a list of players who've gone on to all-star status. 

Pope and especially Gordon should have been lessons in humility for our fans, but nah, so many just jumping straight back head first into the assertion over Howe's nose for talent that Calvert-Lewin is bang average and Minteh's a wonderkid. :lol:

Edited by Kid Icarus

23 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Is this ‘we overspent’ argument new? What would have been the difference if we spent less last summer (preparing for a busy CL season) so we could spend more now? 

I’ve heard doubts about a few of our signings here and there but I haven’t heard the argument that we spent too much overall. 

As it stands, we would fall foul of FFP. Does that not literally mean we have overspent? Serious question.

As I understand - this sale isn't to generate FFP room to sign new players. It's to be FFP-compliant. We are signing DCL because we are in bed with Everton to help each other out. You give us a player we like, you give us a player you like.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

As it stands, we would fall foul of FFP. Does that not literally mean we have overspent? Serious question.

As I understand - this sale isn't to generate FFP room to sign new players. It's to be FFP-compliant. We are signing DCL because we are in bed with Everton to help each other out. You give us a player we like, you give us a player you like.

This. Very stupid to ignore last seasons spend which sees us in the situation we're in now. 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I’m guessing we budgeted for some form of European football and having missed out we are in a bit of a pinch. 

That being said; if someone wants to give daft money for Minteh you have to take it. But of course those funds have to be deployed well. 

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We have to raise X amount by the end of the month and are selling valuable assets to do so. We are selling because we have too.. I guess it's not at rock bottom prices but it seems we are gaming the system with Everton for mutual beneficial fees.

Certainly - if we had not gotten ourselves into an FFP hole, we wouldn't be selling Minteh in June or at all.

IMO we didn't think the punishment for falling foul of FFP would be so severe.

Minteh is an asset that we are going to make a significant profit on, but he is not a significant hit to the first team because he has not been involved.

Wilson is a very injury prone 33 year old that looks like he isn't keen on continuing to play second fiddle.

Almiron has run his course and is quite frankly not good enough.

Is there someone else I am missing? Because these cannot be classified as fire sale moves surely?

Just now, r0cafella said:

I’m guessing we budgeted for some form of European football and having missed out we are in a bit of a pinch. 

That being said; if someone wants to give daft money for Minteh you have to take it. But of course those funds have to be deployed well. 

But qualifying for Europe next season wouldn’t affect FFP over the last three years. Not qualifying for Europe next season is next seasons FFP issue.

9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Sometimes I really wonder which Calvert Lewin I've been watching.

That guy is at least 6 ft 2, he is quick and strong, and has an incredible work rate. All things Howe values. He has also shown he will score goals under better circumstances.

It has also been shown and stated multiple times now that his injury record is being exaggerated. Never mind the fact that he is not coming in to be our lead man upfront and so won't be under the same rigorous demands.

I cannot wait for August to come around,if we sign this guy, because when the guy gets on the pitch in the kind of team we have built it's going to be really interesting to see what people have to say then.

Speaking personally I haven't really seen him play this season, certainly not regularly. I'm mainly going on his reputation for being injured a lot. You're right he has some basic attributes that are good though.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Speaking personally I haven't really seen him play this season, certainly not regularly. I'm mainly going on his reputation for being injured a lot. You're right he has some basic attributes that are good though.

His attributes have not suddenly left him. In the right team they are just going to be more pronounced and effective.

We're just a couple of months away now. Let's see what happens. I'm looking forward to it.

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

His attributes have not suddenly left him. In the right team they are just going to be more pronounced and effective.

We're just a couple of months away now. Let's see what happens. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm not against it if the club thing it can work, but I do have worries. I was kind of hoping the Wilson replacement would be a safer or more exciting bet.

I can see him doing damage in the cups TBF.

Maybe we still see Gordon as someone who can play in the middle still. And of course we have a few (although not many) less games to play.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo