Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Strawberry

21 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

As it stands, we would fall foul of FFP. Does that not literally mean we have overspent? Serious question.

As I understand - this sale isn't to generate FFP room to sign new players. It's to be FFP-compliant. We are signing DCL because we are in bed with Everton to help each other out. You give us a player we like, you give us a player you like.

We've been linked with DCL for at least 2 years now, and Wilson is coming towards the end. 

50 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

They've overspent in the transfer market and we need to sell our most promising youngster to become FFP compliant. We likely need to sell productive first-team players to buy anyone.

We had about £130-170m worth of talent barely contributing last season.

They have done a lot right. But they have not done "pretty much everything right".

Like.. people are trying to suggest Chris Wood was a good transfer. It didn't really work out how most would've wanted but we got our money back and stayed up - it's a lucky escape in truth. No need to rewrite history,

wot

I still have a little bit of problem with the business side of our club for not securing more non related party commercial deals; yes easier said than done but their remit is to grow that side to help offset the acquisition of players. Further, the sale side of players has been rock bottom (talent or not) and that’s also heavily contributing to this. 

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I'm not against it if the club thing it can work, but I do have worries. I was kind of hoping the Wilson replacement would be a safer or more exciting bet.

I can see him doing damage in the cups TBF.

Maybe we still see Gordon as someone who can play in the middle still. And of course we have a few (although not many) less games to play.

I think because it looks like Isak will miss games, the feeling is we need someone comfortable in the league as an alternative option.

We're still going to look for a younger versatile striker by all accounts, and so that will likely be more of a wildcard exciting signing.

Just now, KaKa said:

I think because it looks like Isak will miss games, the feeling is we need someone comfortable in the league as an alternative option.

We're still going to look for a younger versatile striker by all accounts, and so that will likely be more of a wildcard exciting signing.

I hadn't picked up on that, but I was saying that if we had a third striker it would be much more comfortable. Same if Wilson stayed really, he can't be relied on to be available when Isak needs a break.

3 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I still have a little bit of problem with the business side of our club for not securing more non related party commercial deals; yes easier said than done but their remit is to grow that side to help offset the acquisition of players. Further, the sale side of players has been rock bottom (talent or not) and that’s also heavily contributing to this. 

But our side players are terrible TBF.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

More development squad player I think? Not first team ready at least.

Just now, Pablo said:

Surely the sensible decision is sell Callum for £25m and sign DCL for £25m.

Of course Everton need to be on board.

Who's paying £25m for an injury prone 32 year old?

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I hadn't picked up on that, but I was saying that if we had a third striker it would be much more comfortable. Same if Wilson stayed really, he can't be relied on to be available when Isak needs a break.

The only reason we are looking at DCL is to replace Wilson I think.

With the injuries last season, his age, and the fact his contract is now in the last year, it's hard to justify keeping him. Especially as there is some interest in him too.

But yeah, talk has continued about a younger versatile striker coming in that can also play other positions. Will be a player that still needs developing, but will be in the first team.

5 minutes ago, TBG said:

In comparison Real Madrid have signed Mbappe on a free.

Makes you think 

Funnily enough last year they signed 'washed' striker Joselu as a backup.

Worked out alright for them ...

I thought Wood was and is poor, obviously he has ability and shows it now and again, but overall i think he's not great. However, he was vital for us at the time.

The team was the sum of its parts, and sometimes some parts aren't great, but the term sum of its parts sums us up since Eddie has been here. 

It's why I look at who Eddie wants to sign and think 'well not sure about this one'. And then watch the team be so good because of that mantra. 

Sum of its parts, no dickhead rule, constant hardwork, Eddie's calmness. It's why I love Eddie and his team so much, it's all about togetherness and the team.

Edited by Bimpy474

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

That depends what you define as a dud, for example Wood, Targett, Tonali, and Ashby would not be described as good signings at this point in time for one reason or another. 

There is no real comparison with Gordon and Calvert Lewin, one was a youngster that had potential but was struggling to put it all together, where as Calvert Lewin was good 3 years ago, before having a serious injury and never looking the same player again.

Targett was a good signing for us initially. Wood did a job when we were in a desperate position. The idea that Howe and the scouting team take any responsibility for Tonali's hidden gambling addiction is an absolutely bizarre take [emoji38]

One thing I like about DCL, his power in the air. Good movement off the ball, caused us problems at Goodison last season for both of those, even though he did miss a proper sitter :D 

The price will be too much when over £20m, but got to trust club they see it as a worthwhile spend for next 3 seasons and DCL happy with a reduced roll that doesn't rock the dressing room with moaning. Feel people will lose their mind too much over this, when the RW and CB are the big transfers this summer to improve the side. Like we could have a XI of

First XI: Pope - Livramento, Schar, New CB, Hall - Bruno, Tonali, Joe - Gordon, Isak, New RW

Back up: New GK - Trippier, Botman, Burn, Kelly - Miley, Willock, Longstaff - Barnes, DCL, Murphy

(Botman as back up due to injury for majority of season). It's a team and squad moving forward. With 2025 then taking next step with players from Howe first 6 months moving potentially on (Like Trips / Burn / Willock) for a new CB, CM and RB. Think 2 to 3 first team signings each season is the going rate. Which would be RW/CB this season, and GK the arguable 3rd depending who it is and when they take over number 1.

23 minutes ago, andyman said:

25M for DCL is mad. He is not that good :lol: 54 goals for Everton since 2016. Shitness me.

That's certainly one way of putting it. :lol:

Another would be when he was playing regularly in a good team, with an excellent manager he scored 15 in 41, at just over 1 in 2 per 90 (a goal every 200 mins), then 21 in 39, at better than 1 in 2 per 90 (a goal every 158 mins)

Either side of that he was a kid, then injured and playing in a terrible team.

As willing back up strikers go, this is probably as good as it gets

Edited by Kid Icarus

Lunchtime procrastinating:

Trippier: 10

Wood: 6

Burn: 8

Bruno: 9

Targett loan: 7

Pope: 8

Botman: 7

Isak: 10

Targett: 3

Gordon: 9

Tonali: -

Barnes: 7

Livramento: 8

Hall: -

Only the Targett signing has been a dud. I get the argument re Wood but he was the only one to qualify as a panic buy so should be measured differently imo. 

Jury well and truly out on Tonali and Hall. 

38 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

Targett was a good signing for us initially. Wood did a job when we were in a desperate position. The idea that Howe and the scouting team take any responsibility for Tonali's hidden gambling addiction is an absolutely bizarre take [emoji38]

I didn’t say they take any responsibility for it, I am saying that nobody in their right mind would say at this point that Wood, Targett and Tonali have been good signings.

The latter two might turn out to be good signings but current they haven’t been.

Wood was abysmal.