Last 16: Romania 0-3 Netherlands; Austria 1-2 Turkey

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

I suppose there is the potential for that to happen.

Seen it happen so often. The buildup and then the tear down.

Needs to tone it down a bit.

Edited by KaKa

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Can see the villain arc developing for Bellingham with the fans.

Not handling the attention and spotlight on him too great, unfortunately.

Aye, him scoring yet another high pressure clutch goal this season, a last minute overhead kick that single-handedly kept us in the tournament suggests that the spotlight and pressure isn't for him. 

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I mean they were shit, but it's a bit weird to still be angry that they won when them not doing that was going to be a huge part of the reason for being angry. :lol:

Understandable feeling for any football fan, I reckon. There were times that I wanted Benfica to lose, because I thought that in the long term it would be best. When you have a terrible manager you just want him to get sacked, instead of having small pockets of air that will just delay it, and possibly when it happens is already too late to fix the season.

Edited by TenkoDaLuz

Actually impressive how bad Inglun were before the first goal. So, so bad. Southgate’s decisions absolutely melt my mind. 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Aye, him scoring yet another high pressure clutch goal this season, a last minute overhead kick that single-handedly kept us in the tournament suggests that the spotlight and pressure isn't for him. 

It's just the way he carries himself at times on the pitch.

As soon as the bad result comes, especially as he hasn't actually been playing that great, you'll see.

Just now, TenkoDaLuz said:

Understandable feeling for any football fan, I reckon. There were times that I wanted Benfica to lose, because I thought that in the long term it would be best. When you have a terrible manager you just want it to get sacked, instead of having small pockets of air that will just delay it, and possibly when it happens is already too late to fix the season.

I get that sentiment but it's a mad mindset in a once every 4 years tournament in which the manager is almost certainly leaving anyway. 

5 minutes ago, mouldy_uk said:

Am I the only one that likes Bellingham being a bit of a knob :aww: 

Our teams have often lacked the confidence, bordering on arrogance, that winning sides often have.

Southgate and England used their get out of jail free card, tonight. Got to feel for Slovakia, undone by a moment of class, in an insipid England performance.

Worst thing is - Southgate will line us up the same way v the Swiss, next Saturday. You just know it.

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

Switzerland is a couple orders of magnitude better than Slovakia though

Agreed. They've got the organisation and quality to go through fairly comfortably. England are winging it but the Swiss are sailing through their games. Calling it now, Swiss win and Xhaka MotM on Saturday

It'd be nice to think that this mess this can be sorted out and a real plan drawn up to beat the Swiss and actually look decent for once while doing it but all the evidence so far suggests that GS does not learn, continually plays in a way that just doesn't really work, and ignores the fact it's unbalanced and disjointed and boring to watch and we're incredibly lucky to get to the QF. Tournaments are notoriously difficult for changing personnel, tactics and mentality from game to game but if the obvious changes haven't yet been made, hard to see it happening now. Same again for Saturday i'd think.

I see the Southgate fans identifying the biggest fluke of a win there ever was as a hard fought epic masterclass of some sort.

Honestly, they deserve each other.

Pretty absurd result in the end. Would've never seen that coming when the game ticked into the 80th minute and we'd made one substitution.

Walker as poor as last game.

Foden as poor as the previous three games and still can't stay onside.

Trippier seemingly crocked and has screwed Guehi (going to be a huge miss) out of a Semi Final.

Kane and Bellingham once again anonymous for large large parts of the 90 minutes.

We won but I really don't see any way we can be confident about a win against Switzerland. Feels like we'll get turned over comfortably.