Last 16: Romania 0-3 Netherlands; Austria 1-2 Turkey

Yorkie

8 minutes ago, 54 said:

I mean I get why it's annoying, but that is factually offside. 

I guess it depends which frame the VAR team choses to use when the ball is passed to Delaney. But yes, annoying but factually offside.

Just now, mosstef said:

I guess it depends which frame the VAR team choses to use when the ball is passed to Delaney. But yes, annoying but factually offside.

It's done by censor with semi automatic offside I'm fairly certain, so they can track exactly the moment the ball hits a player.

Just now, 54 said:

It's done by censor with semi automatic offside I'm fairly certain, so they can track exactly the moment the ball hits a player.

That would make sense. In that case, Delaney should've cut his toenails before the game.

I think Atwell once again showed a complete lack of common sense and game management. Denmark just had a goal disallowed by the tightest of margins (but rightly according to the rules). One minute later the ball takes the slightest touch on a hand from one metre away that didn’t really even change the ball’s trajectory. The cross wasn’t even dangerous.

Not one neutral would bat an eyelid if he just lets it go even if you can technically give a pen for it. Yet he had Taylor on the screen in few seconds and was certain that it was an incident that should play a massive role in deciding who goes through to the next round. It’s just poor officiating and shows the state of officiating in England when he gets even the VAR gig at a major tournament.

Edited by Pata

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

I find it funny how Andersen is punished for an unnatural position of his hand (even though it was a natural position) yet Havertz can unnaturally stutter during his penalty run up and goes unpunished

need to ban stutter pels , like.

10 hours ago, Pata said:

I think Atwell once again showed a complete lack of common sense and game management. Denmark just had a goal disallowed by the tightest of margins (but rightly according to the rules). One minute later the ball takes the slightest touch on a hand from one metre away that didn’t really even change the ball’s trajectory. The cross wasn’t even dangerous.

Not one neutral would bat an eyelid if he just lets it go even if you can technically give a pen for it. Yet he had Taylor on the screen in few seconds and was certain that it was an incident that should play a massive role in deciding who goes through to the next round. It’s just poor officiating and shows the state of officiating in England when he gets even the VAR gig at a major tournament.

It is actually the complete opposite, that decision being made was good officiating. That is of course if the metric used to "measure" good vs. bad officiating is how effectively and correctly a referee enforces the rules of the game.

I think the level of competency in the English referee stock compared to other "big" footballing nations is absolutely laughable, don't get me wrong. But the insane amount of factually incorrect absolute idiotic whining about decisions referees have made so far this EC has leapfrogged all of my other pet hates in football, now reigning supreme at the top of my list without a snowball's chance in hell of another pet hate ever overtaking it again :lol: It's now reached a level where I couldn't contain myself from actually making a post in defense of Stuart fucking Atwell's refereeing skill - which never would even have been close to happening before all the fucking fucktard whiners started shouting in their echo chambers this EC... jesus fucking christ, the pundits are meant to be "experts" and all they do is say factually incorrect shit to rile up the public for engagement and ad money. 

I mean, if we imagine a world where money doesn't rule all and informing the general public about the actual fucking problem(s) with football instead of riling them up by spouting bullshit - there'd be a genuine chance that fans would make enough noise and get the actual problem fixed. Fixing the problem would give fans less to get riled up about and result in less viewers/online engagement though, so that will never happen.

For clarity: The referees at the EC have, so far, delivered the best performance by referees at a major footballing tournament - at least in my lifetime - when judged on the criteria they're meant to be judged on; how correct they enforce and apply the rules of the game.

Now, please re-read the five words in bold at the very end of the above paragraph again. Okay. Now, read it once more, for safety.

The problem isn't the referees - the problem with what you're witnessing at the EC is the rules the referees have been ordered to follow and enforce. 

Pundits should enlighten the public about that fact, not blame referees who are actually, for once, doing their jobs well. Don't get me wrong, I hate the way the rules are at present and I am just as annoyed at the same incidents as everyone else. If we, the fans, want to see those annoyances go away and football be "repaired" - then we're doing ourselves no favours by allowing IFAB to use the referees as scapegoats they can hide behind as they continue on with their apparent crusade intended to fucking destroy the game of football that we know and love.

IFAB needs to alter/rewrite the laws of the game. That way referees on the pitch (and VAR teams) won't continue to piss off everyone when they do a good job.

(just fyi; @Pata , my rant isn't directed at you even though I quoted your post before going off :lol: you're one of the good guys :rose: )

I just think handball rule is very gray and you could not give that penalty for quite many reasons, the close proximity being the biggest. Handball rule is the one thing English refs are usually more lenient on so was disappointed Atwell gave that in mere seconds.

2 hours ago, Pata said:

I just think handball rule is very gray and you could not give that penalty for quite many reasons, the close proximity being the biggest. Handball rule is the one thing English refs are usually more lenient on so was disappointed Atwell gave that in mere seconds.

That the handball rule is fucked up now we can blame 100% on the English and the Scots :lol: IFAB has one meeting per year where its members vote over all the alterations/rewording/removal/additions/expansions/limitations suggested by its members since their last meeting. FIFA has 4 votes, as far as I can tell they are the only member of IFAB that has actively submitted suggestions to IFAB over the last 20+ years. IFABs other members are made up of the English FA, the Scottish FA, the Welsh FA and the Irish FA - each of the FA's have one vote, making the total amount of possible votes eight. For a suggestion to be implemented by IFAB into the laws of the game, a minimum of six "aye" votes are required.

The Irish and Welsh FA's appear to actually consider each suggestion being put forward, as looking through some of the minutes from the annual IFAB meetings show that they vote "no" to suggestions quite often (as they did when FIFA suggested changing the offside rule into the farce we're witnessing now).

The English FA, however, as well as the Scottish FA... I could not find a single time any of the two voted against a FIFA suggestion - which means that since FIFA+England+Scotland = 6 votes, the presence of the Irish and Welsh at these meetings is just a literal waste of time for those two FA's as FIFA know they get all their suggestions through the annual IFAB vote. It's painful that the English and Scottish FA representatives at IFAB quite clearly are bought and paid for by FIFA and blatant corruption is occuring at the most important meeting for all of football each fucking year, because that's what it is. There's no fucking way there has never been a suggestion put forth by FIFA that the English and Scottish FA reps should've voted down, but they never vote against FIFA :dontknow: The fact the Welsh and Irish reps vote against FIFA quite often at those meetings only helps to highlight the blatant corruption :lol: 

The game's fucked, guys. After discovering how IFAB operates I wholeheartedly recommend choosing to stay blissfully ignorant, jumping head first down the rabbit hole will just make you feel like all is lost. There's no way IFAB will end up being able to correct its course and start to give a shit about the sanctity of the rules they're meant to regulate on behalf of the entire world, simply because it's not a money making operation so even though the corruption is clear, obvious and taking place in full daylight - nobody's losing any money from it so nobody that could do something about it will ever care enough to do.

dean winchester finger guns GIF

Frustrating. Hopefully Mainoo's energy will make some amount of difference but I feel like that left side is still going to be fairly ineffectual. 

If we're not winning by the 60th minute then a Palmer / Gordon double sub has to be the move (assuming nothing drastic has happened elsewhere in the game)