Quarter Finals: England (5p)1-1(3) Switzerland, Netherlands 2-1 Turkey

Disco

You speak the dumbest language on Earth and now we all speak it. God is English.

You live in the Atlantic ocean and get no hurricanes.

Gonna spark him pure out when I meet him.

Kane just looked off the pace. I don't mean to be unkind, but I hope he's out for the semi-final.

I'd prefer Watkins to Toney, mind.

Just now, Cronky said:

Kane just looked off the pace. I don't mean to be unkind, but I hope he's out for the semi-final.

I'd prefer Watkins to Toney, mind.

I’d prefer Watkins too, he’d be a lot more involved. However, it all depends on how much we use the ball in the final third. Hard to imagine any striker having a great game with the way we play 

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

You speak the dumbest language on Earth and now we all speak it. God is English.

We actually live on land [emoji38]   I agree about the language [emoji38]

The way this is unfolding England will 100% get Turkey in the semis, with half of the Turkish starting eleven suspended.

No offence but watching this in a pub away from the negativity of this thread did wonders for the experience :lol:

Better performance, still very stodgy in attack but positive signs against the best team we've played yet. And 5 perfect penalties - these young lads don't wilt at the mere thought of a shootout which is huge really.

16 minutes ago, Andy said:

Wish I had it in me to get behind this England team. Neighbours were screaming like Newcastle just won the champions league. I might as well have been watching Fulham taking penalties in a pre season tournament against Stoke. 

I kinda feel the same but even I was cheering, just go with it

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

We were better in our ball retention and I think our passing was more positive. However, our shape going forwards was still all about building slowly, not committing players etc. Kane shouldn’t play and it massively stunts us. I think Shaw starting in the next game will help us. If Gordon was on the left and Shaw was playing we’d be so much more balanced and fluid going forwards 

I agree, there's something not right up front and would be happy with those changes. Athough I didn't think he was brilliant, Foden at least actually looked more like Foden with his movement and when he was on the ball and better than previous matches.

Up until this match we had a midfield that didn't work, an entire left side that didn't work, looked really vulnerable on the counter, and our cohesion and patterns of play were really poor. I thought all of that improved in this match, not great, but much better.

The main problem beyond up front is our intent imo, started going for it at 1 nil down and then going to pens, at some point there needs to be trust that if risks are taken and don't work out, we can cover for it. At the moment it's far far far too cautious and ironically it puts us in much riskier positions.

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

This game after ten mins has already been more exciting than the England game save for the pens 

Actually taking risks. Highly illegal 

1 minute ago, LiquidAK said:

No offence but watching this in a pub away from the negativity of this thread did wonders for the experience :lol:

Better performance, still very stodgy in attack but positive signs against the best team we've played yet. And 5 perfect penalties - these young lads don't wilt at the mere thought of a shootout which is huge really.

Loads better when he had to gamble. Weird that. 

ace pens, all 5

2 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Penalties are all about technique- and it’s an extremely good England side, technically.  Never doubted that they’d slot them away - none of the ‘put your laces through it’ shite so beloved of English players of that past.

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Loads better when he had to gamble. Weird that. 

ace pens, all 5

Yep we instantly looked better when we made the 3 changes. Frustrating it took going a goal down to spark it.

8 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

It was definitely better, and against the best team so far, but it feels like a hard battled 0-0 draw away to Palace after a limp, winless streak to Brentford, Everton and West Ham at this point :lol:

It is, but it's also getting that draw against Palace after they've just confidently beaten Man United (Italy) and drawn with Liverpool (Germany)

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Penalties are all about technique- and it’s an extremely good England side, technically.  Never doubted that they’d slot them away - none of the ‘put your laces through it’ shite so beloved of English players of that past.

Aye you actually just have loads of good penalty takers now. The 2 most famous people to miss penalties for England are Gareth Southgate and Stuart Pearce, 2 defenders. Its not by chance you're better at them now :lol:

I thought the first half showed glimpses of a team that might click. Then the second half happened and we got bailed out by individual quality. 

I'm in such a funk, like. England are probably gonna win something just as I've stopped giving a fuck. :lol:

Find being a football fan horribly complicated these days. I'll try and put it down to growing up. 

Just now, triggs said:

Aye you actually just have loads of good penalty takers now. The 2 most famous people to miss penalties for England are Gareth Southgate and Stuart Pearce, 2 defenders. Its not by chance you're better at them now :lol:

Never bought the ‘lottery’ patter re pens.  It’s true that ultimately someone has to fail to score, but this England side reminds me a lot of the Germany sides of when I was a kid - one or two genuine  first-class players, and the rest are all really good technical footballers.  There’s no cloggers in there

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Mike said:

I agree.

Best and most widely spoken language, turn up anywhere in the world and there’ll be at least one local who understands you.

UK more northernly than most of the USA, same latitude as Northern Canada from memory but far milder weather. Thank you Gulfstream.

Edited by SAK
Spelling.

Posted (edited)

If we won this tournament how would everyone feel? I know this isn't the world cup but based on the record at previous tournaments, Southgate would probably be regarded as the greatest England manager of all time. 

Edited by relámpago blanco