Semi Finals: France 1-2 Spain, England 2-1 Netherlands

Disco

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

You're definitely winning the final. Never hated a tournament more than rhis one.

You got spicy in the COPA thread to be fair. :lol::lol:

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Tbh if that was at the start of the tournament I'd say it was vintage Southgate; wound everyone up but ultimately totally vindicated in his decisions. I appreciate that's been a harder sell this time given how shit we've been, but there was nowt wrong with tonight. 

I feel like we've been very German. Absolutely shit, did what needed to be done and got there, got progressively better. Don't think we'll win it, but I didn't think we'd win this like that either

2 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I've been wanting Southgate to pick Watkins. That sort of goal is his trademark. He creates just a bit of space for himself in the area and then hits the corners. 

I don't think there's any chance of his starting ahead of Kane in the final, but hopefully he'll come on a bit earlier.

The centre forward play in this tournament has been so awful for the most part, especially from the better teams!

That Watkins goal was such a shock to the system, as it was so unexpected and jarring compared to what we've been watching.

4 minutes ago, 54 said:

I hate to break this to people, but you don't get to a final just on luck :lol:

We've been very solid and difficult to break down, but relied on lucky breaks going forward.

Plenty of teams have won tournaments doing the same, international football is often about being risk adverse and difficult to beat.

The most promising thing is that we actually look like we believe we can win it.

3 minutes ago, alexf said:

This reminds me of the Bruce narrative when he left. The "stick" has been blown out of proportion massively this tournament in particular. If you play shit then people are going to call it shit. You make a good tactical change like he finally did tonight, you're going to get praised. Simple really. If they can't handle a little criticism then they should walk away.

Its not been a little criticism though has is, it's been way way over the top, and for the most part totally needless.

Just now, alexf said:

This reminds me of the Bruce narrative when he left. The "stick" has been blown out of proportion massively this tournament in particular. If you play shit then people are going to call it shit. You make a good tactical change like he finally did tonight, you're going to get praised. Simple really. If they can't handle a little criticism then they should walk away.

I don't love any manager crowing about getting criticism but (as usual) the comparison to Bruce is daft. Bruce was a piece of shit who did fucking nothing, ever for NUFC. He was crysrsing about criticism within a week or two. Southgate, meanwhile, has consistently delivered over a prolonged prod l period and you might have some sympathy for him for getting bottles lobbed at him etc.

Harry Kane is becoming everything I hate in a striker. Slow, always behind play, not getting in scoring positions, not a goal scoring threat generally and only there to be an advanced defender. Like an elite Chris Wood.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

We can't beat Panama and these cunts are in the final. End the American experiment.

At least you've got some good Presidential candidates to choose from