Final: England 1-2 Spain

Disco

Just now, ikri said:

Southgate is so conservative he doesn't believe in the left wing.

This your own work? I’ve not heard it before but feel like I should have done 

🎵 "We still believe.."🎵

Shame our manager didn't. 

The fact he was about to bring on Tripps and Gallagher just before they scored their second, sums up this tournament for us. Uninspiring.

Southgates tactics have ground itself to this point but absolutely muzzeled and harness one of the most attacking and creative England player pools of all time.

We need a change. Shame the FA have reported already offered him a new contract.

1 minute ago, Segun Oluwaniyi said:

It is hard to understand what happened with Kane in this tournament. Does he simply refuse to stop coming deep and play in his proper position? Maybe he is incapable of playing as a true #9 at this point of his career. It cannot have been a tactical decision to have no presence upfront and one of best finishers in world consistently nowhere near goal scoring positions.

I've got a suspicion kane picks the team. 

Just now, LiquidAK said:

Understand it's raw for people but think Southgate is getting too much flack there. Made the perfect subs to get us back into the game, but then definitely sat back which has been our issue all tournament. Definitely time for a fresh start

Maybe if they were starters and not subs he wouldn't get as much flak

2 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

He just said they could play better etc, while the rest of the side were gaslighting us with saying things were good etc.

I do hope if/when Southgate gets the boot, we get leaks from fringe players like Palmer, Watkins, Gordon etc speaking out :laugh:

10 minutes ago, ikri said:

Southgate is so conservative he doesn't believe in the left wing.

You win the internet today 🤣 

Edited by pubteam

3 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Fuck off sucking Southgates hoop, hes brought nowt, we've done well in spite of him. Imagine what we could have done with a manager that had balls.

Totally agree - every commentator banging on about Yamal and the way he cuts in, Gordon plays the same bloody way.  If Yamal was English he would have spent the whole tournament on the bench.

Also ITV trying to give Southgate an out with if he wants to stay or go that’s his choice, he needs to go

Just now, El Prontonise said:

Kane = serial loser.

I was hoping if we won he'd retire from international football (maybe a Beckham style friendly send off at Wembley in September pending).

Bet this means the cunt limps on til WC26, bagging pens and tap ins against San Marino in the qualifying rounds but limiting our play and doing little of value in the tournament again as Safegate won't drop him.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

I think you're underselling them a bit; they've beaten everyone they've faced. Easily the best team at the tournament but, if anything, the standard across the board has been a bit lower in the tournament. There hasn't been any exceptional teams, but Spain were the best of them. 

I'm taking them as a team in the context of all the football I've ever seen. I think that's the best way I can phrase it. In that context I don't think they're anything compared to most tournament winners.

The standard is low right now, I thought England were well below the level they're capable of and as much as I've defended Southgate, the buck stops with him, watching that admittedly with bias, knowing all of those players, we should have won. I was convinced we would and it hurts/makes me feel mental a bit.

2 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Understand it's raw for people but think Southgate is getting too much flack there. Made the perfect subs to get us back into the game, but then definitely sat back which has been our issue all tournament. Definitely time for a fresh start

Got the starting line up wrong as he has in every game so far. Hence why we've gone behind in every game in the knockout stages.

Just now, RobsonsWonderland said:

Maybe if they were starters and not subs he wouldn't get as much flak

Sure there's an argument. But it takes a certain amount of bravery to take off England's all time goals scorer and captain with 60 minutes gone - the sort of subs we've been crying out for all tournament. Failings elsewhere cost us but there should be some credit too 

Feels gutting that we’ve had two finals and not even tried to go for it in either. Finals have only happened what, 3 times in our history? And to just go out there with the primary intent not to concede is awful 

At the end of the day, in normal time in the knockout stages we were ahead for like 3 minutes. It was always going to be a struggle in the final, but there's a big what-if over what might have happened if we'd tried to be positive after the equaliser when they were a bit rattled.

kane foden bellingham saka mainoo were ineffective second half.

walker was shocking at RB.

crying out for bowen and gordon to come on.

watkins and palmer could have come on just after half time.

5 minutes ago, andycap said:

They where good all tournament if you think they aren't, fuck knows how you think England have been playing. 

You're basically making the point I am. Spain weren't that good, we should have been better.

Just now, gbandit said:

Feels gutting that we’ve had two finals and not even tried to go for it in either. Finals have only happened what, 3 times in our history? And to just go out there with the primary intent not to concede is awful 

Italy final felt much worse as I felt that game was really there for the taking.

Spain were the best side today and throughout the tournament and we weren't suddenly going to change course.

Rice is not international class in that anchor position. The trouble is, we don't seem to have anyone else at this precise moment.

Spain deserved it of course, but when we equalised I could see us going on to snatch it. 

Kane's departure seemed to lift the team mentally as well as physically. It looked like one tournament too many for him. And I never seem to see him talking to his team-mates, which for a captain is a bit worrying.

The wait goes on, but at least we have some good young players coming through.

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

🎵

The fact he was about to bring on Tripps and Gallagher just before they scored their second, sums up this tournament for us. Uninspiring.

Exactly this :thup: couldn't believe it with the game to be won, but he had already surrendered the initiative again by then

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

You're basically making the point I am. Spain weren't that good, we should have been better.

Man for man you'd argue we had a better squad, we had someone in charge who doesn't understand modern football.

Edited by pubteam