Final: England 1-2 Spain

Disco

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

You're basically making the point I am. Spain weren't that good, we should have been better.

One thing I will say in our defence is we do a good job of making other teams look not good. 

Whilst looking crap ourselves of course. 

3 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Understand it's raw for people but think Southgate is getting too much flack there. Made the perfect subs to get us back into the game, but then definitely sat back which has been our issue all tournament. Definitely time for a fresh start

He is at fault. Didn't learn anything about the team all tournament and reacted to everything hoping for individual magic, how can he start Kane when he's been awful.

We lost because we sat back again and just started hoofing the ball back to Spain, which Southgate didn't change anything about.

He's bottled a WC semi, Euro Final and was shit tonight as well.

The criticism is right where it deserves to be.

3 minutes ago, Ed Vinegar said:

At the end of the day, in normal time in the knockout stages we were ahead for like 3 minutes. It was always going to be a struggle in the final, but there's a big what-if over what might have happened if we'd tried to be positive after the equaliser when they were a bit rattled.

That was your moment to win. I know Southgate's a coward but today I thought he would smell blood and push forward after the 1-1.

Edited by TenkoDaLuz

I think we played good football for perhaps 45 minutes the entire tournament tbh. The final played out exactly how I expected it to.

2 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Got the starting line up wrong as he has in every game so far. Hence why we've gone behind in every game in the knockout stages.

Spot on - he makes the mountain we have to climb then he gets the credit when we climb it.

Just now, TenkoDaLuz said:

That was your moment to win. I know Southgate's a coward but today I thought we would smell blood and push forward after the 1-1.

It’s just not in his DNA

6 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Had a heck of a tournament overall to be fair.

Think in a team that uses the ball well and has control, he's much more well suited.

Was really good today, surprisingly so.

I thought he was great at Brighton. I think he's been terrible since and thought he was their weakness tonight until then. This feels unnatural, I hope you know what I mean 

Kane needs to retire from international football, we need to move on from him, watching him jog around for nearly an hour made my blood boil. Walker is finished at this level too, in fact none of the City lot particularly impressed.

The better team won tonight and they deserved it but it still stings. We need a new manager and to start bleeding some new players in at international level.

13 minutes ago, alexf said:

Walker is so arrogant with his pace. Always out of position and assumes he can get back until he can't and hen he costs goals like that.

To blame for both for me.  Unintelligent defending 

2 minutes ago, Aiston said:

He is at fault. Didn't learn anything about the team all tournament and reacted to everything hoping for individual magic, how can he start Kane when he's been awful.

We lost because we sat back again and just started hoofing the ball back to Spain, which Southgate didn't change anything about.

He's bottled a WC semi, Euro Final and was shit tonight as well.

The criticism is right where it deserves to be.

👏 

The biggest problem for England is that Southgate makes you too cautious. And Kane should not have played, clearly was not in shape. 

Your centrebacks stay so deep that when you lose the ball there is no counter attack threat, but it also makes hard to press, so automatically you have to drop deep. And of top of that, he didn't get the best out of players. Foden, Bellingham, Kane all moving to occupy same areas of the pitch, and no threat behind. Watkins should have started.

4 minutes ago, Beren said:

Conor Gallagher ffs :lol: An incredible number of minutes this tournament.

The fact that he was meant to come on before they scored :lol: unreal 

Sad to say but yet again you can’t actually sack Southgate after this. It’s too idealistic to sack him based on performances when the results show we lost one game (the final) and even that was in the last minute. He’ll get the World Cup if he wants it.

Just now, LiquidAK said:

Bellingham had a great game tonight I thought. Retained the ball so well through their press

:serious: he had some good touches at times but was a passenger for the most part imo.

7 minutes ago, Andy said:

This Spain team would definitely have lost to the teams you listed, but those three teams would have won this tournament without a single glove being laid on them.

Over the course of this tournament though, Spain have definitely deserved to win for me. They've played the best football, won every match without needing penalties, and swept aside all the other favourites on their way. They are a poor team relative to some other winners, but still the best "team" in this competition. 

I think you get where I'm coming from though. England massively played within themselves and got to the final, got me to the point of thinking they should win it then didn't,  then didn't.  They're proper teases.