Marc Guehi

gdm

8 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

That's a heck of a fee mind. Obviously I see the appeal of a Tino-Botman-Guehi-Hall back four and I have confidence in Nickson/Mitchell/Howe etc. 

Fingers crossed there's money in the budget for the difference maker at RW we want.

My hope is that we've (almost) confirmed the 3rd CF we wanted at £10-15m, we believe we can get the RW we want either for a decent fee or on a loan-with-obligation and that's why we're throwing wads of cash at our top CB target.

That is some backline, like

£65m on a CB and talks with a £60m winger from the same club have made me extremely excited. 

Edited by Thumbheed

He’s fast and strong as an ox. Just listen to Ivan Toney talk about playing against him. I think he’d be a tremendous signing and one that would give me more confidence of us getting top 4 next season (with a RW coming in).

People talking about the fee, you’re always going to have to pay a bit more of an English player and particularly after how he played in the euros. 

I 100% for this deal, absolutely no doubt about it even if we overpay slightly. But even then I’m thinking are we really overpaying? I would almost say no. It’s amazing and surreal for us to pay that amount for a CB but bring it on! Unless there’s a serious injury or something then we’ll have a guaranteed starter for RCB/LCB for the next 8-9 years or so. We won’t have to be thinking about upgrading. So much better than upgrading now only to upgrade on the upgrade later. Buy it once or buy it twice. IF this happens then we will think it was worth every penny and more in the near future. 

Edited by Ikon

2 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

He’s fast and strong as an ox. Just listen to Ivan Toney talk about playing against him. I think he’d be a tremendous signing and one that would give me more confidence of us getting top 4 next season (with a RW coming in).

People talking about the fee, you’re always going to have to pay a bit more of an English player and particularly after how he played in the euros. 

This is my only concern, makes sense to not sign a) at English premiums and b) players straight after a decent to good tournament. Poor market management.

Don't doubt his ability having watched him a few times though.

I know we’ve been joking about the likes of Schar and Coloccini playing the DM position. Guehi could actually do it genuinely well I reckon. Don’t get me wrong I don’t want him there but he has the awareness of space and is very very agile and nippy on the turn for a CB. Has so much composure and calmness in his game. When we attack I can see him going forward quite a bit at times. He also has the specialty tool in his locker at being able to read a situation and press forward nick the ball in front of the opposition ball, either with a quick burst forward or the octopussy leg around and then win the ball and recycle our attack once we’ve lost possession in the last third. Winning the ball off the opposition straight away in the last third after losing it can be so dangerous for us. 

This is where football has lost its magic for me. We’re linked with one of the best players from the Euro’s, likely to be an England international for the next 10 years, absolute proven PL quality, yet as fans were debating whether the club can still comply with PSR. Bored of it.

Edited by Shearergol

One of the things they may have thought of is chemistry, if Hall, Tino and Guehi have all been trained the Chelsea way, they will know each others game and have a high standard of training they came through even if they were in different aged teams. 

Makes you think though, there was so much Abramovich did to make them a world class entity, building foundations for the future, the only problem other than Mourinho he never found his Wenger or Pep, the one to put in place a long term pathway to the team. It’s crazy how Bohley has destroyed the hard work within a few seasons, in time he will be remembered as their Ashley I’m sure 

3 minutes ago, GEFAFWISP said:

This is my only concern, makes sense to not sign a) at English premiums and b) players straight after a decent to good tournament. Poor market management.

Don't doubt his ability having watched him a few times though.

Now he's broken into the England team and performed well, his price will only continue to climb, most likely.

I think it's likely Guehi is coming out with top marks from all involved with the scouting process, and significantly ahead of other options.

With his contract now in the final two years, we can jump in now and still pay a fair chunk, but get in ahead of other teams that would likely prefer to try and get him for cheaper next summer, if not on a free in 2026.

If he still had 4 or 5 years remaining we wouldn't even have a chance really, I don't think.

33 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I hadn’t noticed using both feet when passing.  That’s good and cool. He’s still not a progressive passer.  Everything I’ve said about his ability I’ve backed up with why it’s my opinion and stats. 

He could very well end up showing he’s worth every penny and more. 

I've done that a few times at 6 a side on a Tuesday night. 

Trouble is it's both at the same time 😢

4 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

This is where football has lost its magic for me. We’re linked with one of the best players from the Euro’s, likely to be an England international for the next 10 years, absolute proven PL quality, yet as fans were debating whether the club can still comply with PSR. Bored of it.

I don't even think about this anymore, with Mitchell coming in now.

They would have weighed up a bunch of things before deciding whether this was feasible.

I think adding such a guaranteed performer in the league, who is young enough to improve further in a better team, and who is a top character and a now full international, is as good as it gets.

This increases our chances of locking down a top 4 place immeasurably.

This might be a different kind of point, you may not agree with it making sense but I’m convinced I’m right, despite getting things wrong all the time :lol: 

How much effort and money do companies (clubs too)  put into marketing? Trying to grow their brand and reputation in every way possible. “If you’re not seen you’re not heard of”. Signing like Guehi however expensive he might be will be great PR for the club. People will be raising eye brows and the club and its ambition will get plenty of talk in the news and all sorts of media. This cannot be underestimated imo how much it will also help us off the pitch regarding the brand Nufc and potential sponsors and so on. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I would’ve let everyone get some sleep

like, but whatever. 

They're trying to do it before this dude wakes up....

2_GettyImages-1414804620.jpg

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

This might be a different kind of point, you may not agree with it making sense but I’m convinced I’m right, despite getting things wrong all the time :lol: 

How much effort and money do companies (clubs too)  put into marketing? Trying to grow their brand and reputation in every way possible. “If you’re not seen you’re not heard of”. Signing like Guehi however expensive he might be will be great PR for the club. People will be raising eye brows and the club and its ambition will get plenty of talk in the news and all sorts of media. This cannot be underestimated imo how much it will also help us off the pitch regarding the brand Nufc and potential sponsors and so on. 

Good point. Although not sure what Guehi's status is off these shores but having high profile players is certainly a strategy for brand growth.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Nice!

Sounds like he's excited about the move, which makes this even better.

We really have to push for top 4 this season. There's enough uncertainty outside of Man City and Arsenal that we have to try and take advantage.

Think this kind of move is a big step towards that.

3 minutes ago, Ikon said:

emm Guehi's not that big of a name.. and he's a CB after all, doubt he'd cause a commercial windfall.

It is a massive price, but it’s possible that no big money RW is doable this summer so they’ve decided to go all in on a sure thing at CB. 

There’s a part of me that likes the signings from abroad for lower fees, satisfies some idea that we’re smart and getting one over on other clubs. 

Big signings from the PL are such an unusual thing for us to do, takes a bit of belief to accept that the signing is because he’s the best player for the profile we want and not just because he’s obvious. 

Probably a stupid and random thought. 

5 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

My main worry with this is that it means we've put right wing on the back burner for another summer, given how much it would cost. PSR is shit.

Were all going to be waxing lyrical on Gordon on the right this time next year.

its the Notorious B.I.G all the way this season