Marc Guehi

gdm

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not having a go, but your source on this transfer has had a nightmare.

How? It's not just one source, and everything they've told me has been pretty much correct, apart from the fact he hasn't signed yet. They are (or at least as of last time I spoke to them) very confident of getting him. They're also absolutely 100% correct that he wants the move. They just thought it would have happened sooner than this.

27 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Good value, but doubt we go near him on character grounds.

What’s the story with his character?

1 hour ago, jack j said:

Fuck me man. Tell them to get fucked and move on

They have mugged us off for 2 weeks now. Embarrassing now

I would come out and say tat in public as well but i'm petty like that - i'd say something along the lines of "with the TV interviews have slight digs and just keep chipping the price up and up, this just isn't how we want to do business so we're walking away now.  We do rate him though and would have loved to hsve signed him" (that last bit as a message saying if you choose not to sign a new deal, you've got a job here).

9 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Bit gutted to hear this in all honesty 

That doesn't mean to say we're not actively talking with other targets by the way... we probably are... I just don't think we've finished with this one.

1 minute ago, Shadow Puppets said:

How? It's not just one source, and everything they've told me has been pretty much correct, apart from the fact he hasn't signed yet. They are (or at least as of last time I spoke to them) very confident of getting him. They're also absolutely 100% correct that he wants the move. They just thought it would have happened sooner than this.

Wanting the move is very different to agreeing a fee mind

2 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I might be wrong but I’m pretty sure you have said they think it’s imminent a couple of times. Not sure how that is possible when we haven’t had a bid accepted.

11 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Bit gutted to hear this in all honesty 

I don’t really care about transfer fees etc i tend to think if the club can afford it and pay it then fine but even id be annoyed if we pay more than £65m for him. Move on and get a centre half & RW and rescue this shambles of a window

I’m sorry, Guehi is a good defender and I’d want him in our squad but £65m is a fair amount for him. Move on to other targets.

Just now, joeyt said:

Wanting the move is very different to agreeing a fee mind

And no-one has ever said they'd agreed a fee.

What I've been told, and have shared on here, is that last week (prior to the friendlies) we were very very confident that it would be done in time for him to play a part in those. Guehi had been talking to some of our players about life up here, and that he wants to and is expecting to join us. Also that there is some financial incentive for us to get it done prior to the season starting (something to do with a Chelsea clause).

Then that didn't happen, but at the weekend I was told they were all still very confident that it would happen imminently. Then Parish came out with his spiel in the week, and I was told we were still interested and negotiating and it's still looking good... just brinksmanship... and that has proven to be true.

I still feel like that's the case, but I haven't spoken to anyone in the last couple of days. The level of confidence on display is what makes me really think that it will eventually get done... I think it's just surprised everyone how long it's taking.

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I might be wrong but I’m pretty sure you have said they think it’s imminent a couple of times. Not sure how that is possible when we haven’t had a bid accepted.

They have thought it's imminent, yes. Because the level of confidence in it getting done has been so high. Imminent doesn't mean bid accepted... it means that they expect to reach an agreement imminently.

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

They have thought it's imminent, yes. Because the level of confidence in it getting done has been so high. Imminent doesn't mean bid accepted... it means that they expect to reach an agreement imminently.

I may have misunderstood you then, imminent to me means the transfer is imminent as in about to happen.

2 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

That’s the thing people can’t / don’t want to accept when it comes to transfer stories, mainly reported by journalists.

A journo can report that a club is after player X, are confident of securing a deal for player X, all which can be 100% accurate, but if the deal doesn’t end up materialising, the journo is a ‘know nowt fraud’.

Think a lot of the time it’s just people needing someone to vent their frustrations at.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I may have misunderstood you then, imminent to me means the transfer is imminent as in about to happen.

Fair enough... I've never said (nor has anyone ever said to me) that a bid has been accepted.

1 minute ago, Shadow Puppets said:

And no-one has ever said they'd agreed a fee.

What I've been told, and have shared on here, is that last week (prior to the friendlies) we were very very confident that it would be done in time for him to play a part in those. Guehi had been talking to some of our players about life up here, and that he wants to and is expecting to join us. Also that there is some financial incentive for us to get it done prior to the season starting (something to do with a Chelsea clause).

Then that didn't happen, but at the weekend I was told they were all still very confident that it would happen imminently. Then Parish came out with his spiel in the week, and I was told we were still interested and negotiating and it's still looking good... just brinksmanship... and that has proven to be true.

I still feel like that's the case, but I haven't spoken to anyone in the last couple of days. The level of confidence on display is what makes me really think that it will eventually get done... I think it's just surprised everyone how long it's taking.

I'm not sure you can say it's still looking good when we've had £65mil bid rejected. 

We've clearly spoken to the player and he wants to come but it sounds like we started off nowhere near Palace's valuation and 4 bids later we still aren't

Should have walked away a week ago.  A complete waste of time.  Palace have no need to sell & can just keep upping the asking price.  We should have moved on to other targets days ago, long before this became a fiasco.

Just now, joeyt said:

I'm not sure you can say it's still looking good when we've had £65mil bid rejected. 

We've clearly spoken to the player and he wants to come but it sounds like we started off nowhere near Palace's valuation and 4 bids later we still aren't

As I say, I haven't spoken to anyone in a couple of days, so it's just my gut feeling that we aren't done with this one yet (but that gut feeling is based on knowing how confident they have been even as recently as Wednesday). Just because Palace are saying we're not there yet doesn't mean we aren't close.

The biggest problem with this transfer is that Palace are leaking every last detail of each bid. If that hadn't of happened and today was the first you were hearing of it, how would you feel? Probably quite excited, right?  Transfers take weeks / months... it's just all part of the process.