Marc Guehi

gdm

29 minutes ago, 1964 said:

I can't blame palace for this debacle, other than perhaps leaking the offers to the media.  I don't believe they are upping the price either, we just haven't offered them what they believe their asset is worth.

They have the right to set a price and if that's not met, refuse the offer.   They don't need the money so hold all the cards, so all we can do is either give them what they want or walk away, but we should stop hating them for doing the best for themselves

It's the way the whole saga has been played out man.  It's been mentioned numerous times.  Keep up.

46 minutes ago, 1964 said:

I can't blame palace for this debacle, other than perhaps leaking the offers to the media.  I don't believe they are upping the price either, we just haven't offered them what they believe their asset is worth.

They have the right to set a price and if that's not met, refuse the offer.   They don't need the money so hold all the cards, so all we can do is either give them what they want or walk away, but we should stop hating them for doing the best for themselves

How does that make it a debacle ?

Can only imagine the alternatives are not presenting themselves as absolute bargains either. Otherwise I doubt we’d contemplating overpaying (which is sometimes justified) for Guehi. 

1 hour ago, Upthemags said:

Might be a blessing in disguise - bizarre how hard Palace have held the line despite there being zero other bidders, and off a data set that is pretty much no larger than the Euros. I have no doubt we have offered them the most they'll get.

Starting xi upgrades are needed of course, but its honestly not even clear Guehi gets in when we're fully healthy. People forget just how good Schar was last season, save a few flubs. And, not for anything, he was arguably the most dangerous player on the pitch in that SUI England match, outshining Guehi himself.

All of which is to say we'll be fine. Worst case, we go into January with PSR reserves to reinforce as needed - a luxury we didn't have last year. No doubt we're still going to smash the league this year.

Guehi didn’t play vs Switzerland. So I should hope he did outshine him. 

Regarding our strongest XI. You could well be right. But you’re conveniently ignoring the fact that Schar is coming up 33 and his contract expires at the end of the season. So are we not looking to the future, as well?

Burn isn’t young in footballing terms and neither is Lascelles. The latter is currently crocked and I think his contract is also up in 2025. Again. These players will need replacing or at least another option to compete with them. 

Botman is also out for an unspecified amount of time and will take time to get back up to speed. 

Kelly is very injury prone. 

So even ignoring the fact that I think he would play a lot of minutes. Either through necessity, rotation or because of how good he is. Then I can still see why they might be so keen on him right now.  

They may well see it as a chance to

get the CB they want for the next 5-7-10

years or whatever and possibly even future captain material. He would instantly help the squad this season. As well as being a mainstay for seasons to come. As we are clearly going to need to refresh that defence over the next year or two. 

Leave it until January or next season. Then it would leave us light at the back and also open it up to other clubs at a lower price or because of teams suddenly needing another defender. So we could well miss out. 

I suppose some fans wouldn’t care and think the price is too steep. But the club and the people that matter might think the opposite. 

5 minutes ago, Lee Charnley said:

I think we have enough to get through to Botman being back then get Guehi next summer on the cheap. Though, I bet 50M buys Tomori.

Nearly, try again!

55m might get him.

Music Video 80S GIF

If we've got 55/60m to spend it could be used more productively abroad. Guehi is a statement signing, but we could get equal quality and an rw looking beyond pl players. More of a gamble maybe.

Can't argue that guehi wouldn't improve us, but if we're as skint as being made out we need to be smarter

Edited by gjohnson

We shouldnt spend that money on Guehi>

We should look for cheaper alternatives abroad>

*asks for cheaper alternatives of the same quality

It's not my job, it's up to Mitchell to identify quality targets>

Mitchell identifies Guehi>

:lol:

There's no realistic way we don't have any targets beyond guehi. Anyone who's spent an hour  playing FM has a back up. Only way we don't is if were wasting a lot of time on physical meetings we know aren't going to progress

6 minutes ago, STM said:

If this Mitchell is half as competent as being made out there will be other options. As always, the press don't know a tenth of what's actually going on. If they do know everything then we've got bigger issues than getting another body in

Edited by gjohnson

1 minute ago, gjohnson said:

There's no realistic way we don't have any targets beyond guehi. Anyone who's spent an hour  playing FM has a back up. Only way we don't is if were wasting a lot of time on physical meetings we know aren't going to progress

And there it is.

6 minutes ago, STM said:

I’d be surprised if Guehi was a Mitchell target tbh. Pretty sure it’s been widely reported that Mitchell’s appointment would have no effect on this summers targets.

1 minute ago, STM said:

And there it is.

Ok rephrase...anyone who's ever done any kind of recruitment in any way shape or form knows you need at least one back up option. There's a million reasons for him to join and twice as many to not. 

Sounds very Freddy Shepherd to do eggs in one basket. Out of date when he did it and absurd now

5 minutes ago, STM said:

And there it is.

I get the sarcasm, but when it is literally your job to do it all day every day (obviously more detailed and advanced) then you should be pretty good at it

Admittedly I don’t watch as much football as I used to. Or play any football computer games anymore. So I can’t say I’m familiar with all of the names people are so keen for us to sign. 

But surely if we thought there was a player out there abroad ‘just as good’ as Guehi or ‘with more potential/upside’. For less money. Then we would have signed them by now? 

Seems pretty clear that Guehi is the club’s number one target and there must still be confidence in getting it done. If that’s the case. Then it’s good enough for me.  

14 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

I get the sarcasm, but when it is literally your job to do it all day every day (obviously more detailed and advanced) then you should be pretty good at it

Can you have a job playing FM all day? 

Being consistent and going after your priority targets – that has right mentality, ability and personality to fit the group – builds a winning team. 

Settling for third and fourth choices, and shopping around for players that's almost what you're looking for, eventually gets you West Ham United. 

I don’t think we’ve done anything wrong. We’ve been trying to negotiate for a player with 2 years on his contract that clear wants to come here, meanwhile Palace have been sticking to their demands and leaking our negotiation attempts in the press in the hope they can start a bidding war like Brighton.

The only fault on our side is if we haven’t got a suitable 2nd choice lined up.

I would say a lot of the names offered as alternatives the club probably haven't even looked at.  

That's the problem what fans see in the era of seeing games everywhere, at all times from every part of the globe. And Football Manager being as it is, we've all become master scouts in our heads.

What Eddie thinks will fit into his team would be far more narrow than what we think, along with the no dickhead rule, he wants the right players and is prepared to wait.  Mitchell might be a different story, but I'm convinced Eddie has veto on players, and so he should.

I’ve calmed down now after our 4th bid was rejected. Get it done if it’s only a few simple millions.  At first I was like don’t give them a damn quid.