Marc Guehi

gdm

3 hours ago, Kimbo said:

He’s done us a favour not selling him to us at the numbers being thrown around, I think next summer they will regret it more than us. The frustration on my part is that we didn’t get a CB, not that we didn’t get to pay stupid money for Guehi.

What he said there is pretty reasonable tbh.

Wouldn't be surprised if we're back in January.

40 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Wouldn't be surprised if we're back in January.

Neither would I but I hope not. The world isn’t short of good CB’s and every season a crop of good young defenders emerge. I want us trying to get the next Saliba or Van Dijk, Guehi is good but he’ll never be that. He’s a PSR headache at the reported numbers.

Just now, Yorkie said:

So the Riad injury scuppered it, then. Indicates we were a bit unlucky, imo. 

Yorkie man ffs. 

We were stupid for letting it drag in to so near the window closed and should have moved on.  

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It doesn't let us off the hook entirely but it seems like the deal gets done if that injury doesn't happen. 

For 70m :lol: 

People only stopped talking about the nonsensical price out of desperation to get the deal done. 

But you also can’t call horrific planning which left us leaving the window empty handed as “unlucky” when it was incompetence. 

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It doesn't let us off the hook entirely but it seems like the deal gets done if that injury doesn't happen. 

yeah but for how much over the odds?

I'm not going overboard on the defence here, you can keep your fume :lol: Not denying that we played a risky game but ultimately it was a bit of misfortune which meant we didn't get what we wanted. I'm not sure it would've necessarily taken the full 70, but the fee is another debate just generally. 

40 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'm not going overboard on the defence here, you can keep your fume :lol: Not denying that we played a risky game but ultimately it was a bit of misfortune which meant we didn't get what we wanted. I'm not sure it would've necessarily taken the full 70, but the fee is another debate just generally. 

I’m all fumed out thank you for your concern :lol:

the reason I call it incompetence is because we had a few warning signs to walk away, Parish flapping his gums, Palace starting him even in the league cup :lol: Palace totally willing to negotiate on price etc. Ultimately we never agreed a deal with Palace so we were essentially betting the house on something which had sand for foundations. This is why I don’t see it as misfortune, it was somewhat predictable. 

I see all of this as a result of failing to sign Tosin. A refusal to pay a little extra there cost the club a mostly wasted transfer window and nearly cost the club a record transfer fee.

34 minutes ago, Stottie said:

I see all of this as a result of failing to sign Tosin. A refusal to pay a little extra there cost the club a mostly wasted transfer window and nearly cost the club a record transfer fee.

Eh? Tosin was always going to Chelsea once they came in for him. We didn’t miss out on him due to a lowballing of wages.

I don’t think Mitchell will want to be burnt by Palace again. It either gets sorted at the start of the window in January for a lot less than £70m or he doesn’t come then. There’s no chance we’re paying that in January and there’s no chance we’re dealing with Palace again unless it’s clear they’re not going to fuck us around in my opinion 

6 hours ago, r0cafella said:

I’m all fumed out thank you for your concern :lol:

the reason I call it incompetence is because we had a few warning signs to walk away, Parish flapping his gums, Palace starting him even in the league cup :lol: Palace totally willing to negotiate on price etc. Ultimately we never agreed a deal with Palace so we were essentially betting the house on something which had sand for foundations. This is why I don’t see it as misfortune, it was somewhat predictable. 

I get what you're trying to say but we still have our £70m. We haven't "lost" anything unless you see that as not signing another CB but by all accounts Guehi was the target, and Howe wanted him or no-one at this point in time. 

2 minutes ago, Cf said:

I get what you're trying to say but we still have our £70m. We haven't "lost" anything unless you see that as not signing another CB but by all accounts Guehi was the target, and Howe wanted him or no-one at this point in time. 

Oh yeah absolutely; financially we haven’t lost out in fact we’ve gained. In terms of the other aspects that depends we need to wait and see what they do with the money before making further judgements. 

6 hours ago, Stottie said:

What little extra do you think we refused to pay ?

We can't compete with Chelsea on wages, recent trophy wins or being based where he already lives. It's a madhouse there, but the odds were stacked against us as soon as they came in.

If more money and staying local is his preference over regular starts and a more stable environment then that's his prerogative. But I think it also means he's not a player with an attitude that fits with the current NUFC ethos.

Edited by bobbydazzla

I don’t want the club to be competing for people who are prepared to take loads of money to sit on the Chelsea bench TBH. 

If he wanted to come for a reasonable price, great. If he preferred money and not moving house in order to not play, that’s on him. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

I wonder what’ll happen with Tosin. Chelsea will be desperate to sell him to make a profit but if he barely plays they’re not going to get a significant fee from Europe. Maybe another KSA treat

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I wonder what’ll happen with Tosin. Chelsea will be desperate to sell him to make a profit but if he barely plays they’re not going to get a significant fee from Europe. Maybe another KSA treat

His salary might be a bit high but nothing Chelsea can’t cope with. He can just warm the bench until Fofana gets injured (which should be any day now). 

Super low risk inexpensive signing as far as Chelsea are concerned. 

Chelsea have got about a billion players that they paid billions for and who earn billions but aren't very good

Tosin as a free transfer and mid to low end earner won't even feature in their financial thinking. In fact they've probably already forgotten that they even signed him.

Edited by bobbydazzla

1 hour ago, bobbydazzla said:

Chelsea have got about a billion players that they paid billions for and who earn billions but aren't very good

Tosin as a free transfer and mid to low end earner won't even feature in their financial thinking. In fact they've probably already forgotten that they even signed him.

Maybe they signed him so we couldn't.

10 hours ago, Erikse said:

He'd try to get a similar price, just because january.

£70 million?!

No chance surely.

By then we'll be on our way to getting both Botman and Lascelles back.

If he's fortunate maybe £50 million at best, and only if we think we can get in ahead of other teams by doing a deal then.

I think there's a chance everyone waits till the summer and he'll start seeing £35 million bids as Guehi will be on a free In a year.

Edited by KaKa