Marc Guehi

gdm

Just now, jack j said:

Mebbes we haven't bid as high as everyone is saying?

I suspect there are a lot of addons and delayed payments because we probably dont want to spend more than a certain amount this window. This may be the sticking point considering there was noise we had reached the amount in total they had initially wanted.

7 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Being taken for an absolute ride on this one. If we do get him we’ll have overpaid for him substantially even though I like him a lot 

I agree. We are negotiating against ourselves at this point. This show of weakness will be noted and used against us in future negotiations.

11 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

From this, combined with the high profile Parish interviews and such, it sounds plausible that this whole saga in the media is a made up story being orchestrated by Palace to try and drive a bidding war. Like a last desperate effort.

Maybe Mitchell knows something we don't and we're anticipating getting him for less than has been said after all? 

It's my hope talking as much as anything, but it's pretty clear that something weird is going on.

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Caulkin also echoed what Edwards is reporting on Friday (I think was).

As in our end are confused by the reporting?

I suppose this could all be a big ploy by the Palace media team and they are just holding out for as long as possible in the hope someone else comes in for him. Maybe the time it's taking has nothing at all to do with the money offered for Guehi and more to do with Palace stalling for time.

I wonder if part of why we have Guehi as our number one target is the hope that having a newly established first choice England international will propel our status amongst the top teams in the league. I know we've been finishing at the right end for the last couple of years, but having those bigger, marquee players must help in getting some recognition perhaps. Still, I trust Eddie knows what he's doing and would be able to coach whoever he chose to bring in. Just feel a bit like £65m-£70m is a bit of a stretch right now and can't help thinking RW is equally in need of a big player.

2 minutes ago, STM said:

As in our end are confused by the reporting?

Aye, in a nutshell we're nonplussed at the talk of multiple bids been knocked back.

Do teams even "bid"? I assumed it is just a series of discussion until an outcome is reached or one of the parties withdraws?

Parish said in that Talksport interview that he’s been speaking to other teams. Whether that’s true or whether he’s trying to start a bidding war is unbeknownst to us. A lot of the “bids” have come from Sami Mokbel and then they’ve been echoed by Downie and others. The other day Luke mentioned “supposed” bids, intimating we hadn’t even made any official bids. And yeah it’s not like FM, submit bid, wait for bid to be rejected or accepted. It’s continuous dialogue. 

Edited by Joelinton7

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Aye, in a nutshell we're nonplussed at the talk of multiple bids been knocked back.

Do teams even "bid"? I assumed it is just a series of discussion until an outcome is reached or one of the parties withdraws?

Right. I doubt they fill out a form and fax it then wait for a reply of "Accepted"  or "Rejected".

We call them or meet with them and they discuss terms I have to assume.

10 minutes ago, 80 said:

From this, combined with the high profile Parish interviews and such, it sounds plausible that this whole saga in the media is a made up story being orchestrated by Palace to try and drive a bidding war. Like a last desperate effort.

Maybe Mitchell knows something we don't and we're anticipating getting him for less than has been said after all? 

It's my hope talking as much as anything, but it's pretty clear that something weird is going on.

I think it’s Palace trying to control the optics of selling their best three players after such a strong finish to the season. 

Annoying that Parish is taking a ridiculous and massive gamble by rejecting each repeated bloated offer of ours, and now has been rewarded with the Schar straight red... Wonder if it'll coax an extra few million out of us

2 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Annoying that Parish is taking a ridiculous and massive gamble by rejecting each repeated bloated offer of ours, and now has been rewarded with the Schar straight red... Wonder if it'll coax an extra few million out of us

What repeated offers?