The worst Newcastle player you've seen in a match

gjohnson

56 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Maybe you are mixing it up with the 1-5 one? Could be he did really well in both, though. I still remember the 1-5 game, because despite conceding 5, he had one of the very best games I have seen from a goalkeeper ever. It was rumoured that he wanted to leave because of this game, don't know if that's what actually happened, but he left not long after.

Given had been gone a few years by the 6-0

6 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Given had been gone a few years by the 6-0

I don't even remember the 6-0 game myself to be honest. Lucky me.:lol:

Edited by Erikse

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

The issue I had with Obertan is that it was almost impossible how bad he was when you considered his physical attributes. How someone with that pace could be so utterly awful all the time was some feat

Living in Manchester, and working with both Mancesters United and City fans, it was a toss up between which set found it most funny when we signed him. The Manchester United fans were flummoxed as they, both, never thought anyone would buy him / thought he was a headless and useless player. It's not the only time we've fallen for buying players off them who they were glad to be rid of.

That's probably a topic or a thread in itself. Most bad/hilarious NUFC players out of position. Not necessarily the worst players but the ones who looked worst or significantly shitter than normal thanks to a manager playing them in a mad position.

Santon in defensive midfield away at Chelsea springs to mind. Got scuttled 3-0 and I'm sure he was culpable for one of the goals but Pards said "his stats were very good". :lol:

Lovenkrands on the left of a 4-4-2 was pretty honking in our relegation season.

Colo in CM away to Villa didn't work at all despite the world and his wife clamouring for it for ages.

Souness and Pards playing Shola wide was always a laugh. Souey liked him on the left and we all remember when Ba was sold and Shola played wide against a retirement-age Ian Harte in his place in the Reading Le Fondre game, instead of using pace against him like any sane person would.

Huntington at left-back away at AZ still gives me the shivers, although Stephen Carr ducking out with a dubious injury at the eleventh hour facilitated that particular bungle.

And finally, probably the winner... Alan Smith again. Shite as a forward, shite as a centre mid, but nuclear levels of bad being played in a no-mans land right midfield position under Allardyce collecting yellow cards for a living :lol:

25 minutes ago, Pilko said:

That's probably a topic or a thread in itself. Most bad/hilarious NUFC players out of position. Not necessarily the worst players but the ones who looked worst or significantly shitter than normal thanks to a manager playing them in a mad position.

Santon in defensive midfield away at Chelsea springs to mind. Got scuttled 3-0 and I'm sure he was culpable for one of the goals but Pards said "his stats were very good". :lol:

Colo in CM away to Villa didn't work at all despite the world and his wife clamouring for it for ages.

Souness and Pards playing Shola wide was always a laugh. Souey liked him on the left and we all remember when Ba was sold and Shola played wide against a retirement-age Ian Harte in his place in the Reading Le Fondre game, instead of using pace against him like any sane person would.

Huntington at left-back away at AZ still gives me the shivers, although Stephen Carr ducking out with a dubious injury at the eleventh hour facilitated that particular bungle.

And finally, probably the winner... Alan Smith again. Shite as a forward, shite as a centre mid, but nuclear levels of bad being played in a no-mans land right midfield position under Allardyce collecting yellow cards for a living :lol:

Shout out to Pards playing Bigi on the wing In a Uefa cup game  [emoji38]

32 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Steve Harper deputizing in midfield for an injured Nicky Butt in a 4-1 win against Celtic preseason 2007? :lol:

Sissoko in one of the home cup games against a lower league team under McClaren was one of the worst I’ve seen. Couldn’t even be bothered in the slightest. I forget which team it was but regretted being there. 

Numerous Jack Colback games. 

Hendrick away to Palace was another that sticks out. 

8 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Steve Harper deputizing in midfield for an injured Nicky Butt in a 4-1 win against Celtic preseason 2007? :lol:

Did this actually happen? Can't find any info on it.

13 minutes ago, Conjo said:

I seem to remember he had a hand in the fourth goal? Probably not the worst cameo we've had :lol:

1 hour ago, Pilko said:

Seem to remember Roeder shoehorning Huntington, Duff, Babayaro, Ramage and STaylor at LB that season at various points.

21 minutes ago, Fak said:

Seem to remember Roeder shoehorning Huntington, Duff, Babayaro, Ramage and STaylor at LB that season at various points.

Carr and N'Zogbia as well if memory serves correct :lol: quite the roster.

Jack Carlton brought in two big fellas up front when he wanted to go Aces High as the Chronicle memorably called it. I think one was called Tony Cunningham and the the other was George Reilly? Both were absolute shit, and we made Waddle and Beardsely play deeper to accomodate them.

Gabriel Overran (Obertan) 

Got into the best positions and would just be running too fast. Looked like someone who had ankle weights on for an hour and suddenly took them off so he just fell on his face. 

Maybe a tad harsh with worst, but I recall extreme cringing and hiding my face on more than one occasion witnessing the joys of Des Hamilton in the past.
In terms of a particular game, for some (probably alcohol related) reason I had massively talked-up Billy Askew before the disastrous  0-2 promotion play-off defeat to Sunderland in 1990. It seemed to me, amongst the general despair, that everything he touched turned to shite. 

17 hours ago, madras said:

He was but at that position there was worse. Bruce Haliday, David Barton, Graham Oates and that's without even giving it much thought.

Long time ago now but I certainly remember Graham Oats from that little list, he was fucking hopeless as well. On his wiki he is credited with an own goal straight from the kick off, lobbing Willie McFaul heh heh

5 hours ago, Pilko said:

Alan Smith didn't have a position.  He was out of position no matter where he was played.