Trevan Sanusi

I was travelling yesterday so missed his second weekend appearance but was thrilled for him with how he looked against Girona. Was yesterday as good a cameo for him?

He was at the FA end of season presentation event last season handing out awards to the bairns. Mentioned that he’d been in first team squad last season and played for England. Nice lad.

Sanusi coming through is a massive recruitment booster for those youth groups. The more we can show pathways for him, Shahar and co means it should be easier to keep signing the youngsters ahead of the Cartel Clubs.

15 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Sanusi coming through is a massive recruitment booster for those youth groups. The more we can show pathways for him, Shahar and co means it should be easier to keep signing the youngsters ahead of the Cartel Clubs.

Indeed. You look at how Dortmund got Bellingham ahead of everyone else.

1 hour ago, RobS said:

I was travelling yesterday so missed his second weekend appearance but was thrilled for him with how he looked against Girona. Was yesterday as good a cameo for him?

I don't think so. Little came off for him and he looked frustrated. He made some impressive recovery runs to try and win back the ball he'd lost. Promising but still very raw. 

10 hours ago, gdm said:

Eh? The one outstanding thing about ASM was his touch on the ball. 

I beg to differ. His athleticism covered up his poor touch a lot of the time.

At 27, no medals, no caps, and on loan from a Saudi club to a Turkish club. That's happened for a reason.

23 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I beg to differ. His athleticism covered up his poor touch a lot of the time.

At 27, no medals, no caps, and on loan from a Saudi club to a Turkish club. That's happened for a reason.

I’ve never seen a Newcastle player do things with a ball like him other than maybe Ben Arfa. His close control and touches were brilliant. He had his faults but don’t think his touch was one of them. His decision making and final ball was the main frustration iirc 

Edited by gdm

1 hour ago, gdm said:

I’ve never seen a Newcastle player do things with a ball like him other than maybe Ben Arfa. His close control and touches were brilliant. He had his faults but don’t think his touch was one of them. His decision making and final ball was the main frustration iirc 

Someone with ‘elite’ touch would be like a Mahrez. ASM was (sometimes) able to demonstrate incredible touch because his feet were so fast, but equally the ball would occasionally bounce off him because he didn’t have the reliability of elite touch like Mahrez.

If you wanted to take it down a level (or seven), Sammy Ameobi was like that.

8 minutes ago, SteV said:

Someone with ‘elite’ touch would be like a Mahrez. ASM was (sometimes) able to demonstrate incredible touch because his feet were so fast, but equally the ball would occasionally bounce off him because he didn’t have the reliability of elite touch like Mahrez.

Massive difference between ‘elite’ touch and ‘poor’ touch. No one with a poor or bad touch could do the things with a ball ASM could do and the fact he did them while at great speed & pace highlights this. 

for all his faults his touch and control wasn’t one of them 

On his day, he could be absolutely unplayable. I honestly think that Man City signing a player like Doku was after seeing what ASM did to them in the 3-3 draw at SJP a couple of seasons ago. It was probably the consistency that was the issue for Eddie. 

2 hours ago, SteV said:

If Sammy scores we’re on the pitch…….

On 09/08/2024 at 21:56, Kilcline said:

First saw this lad when the 18s got battered in the Youth Cup in January, he's Maxi on steroids but he's got something. Even since then he's tightened up a lot, learning quickly training with the first team.

Someone mentioned on another thread but might be a case where we take the City route of keeping lads in house rather than loans if we can get them minutes here and there, got a few young lads who look like they could be very, very good players for us.

Agree, keeps players invested in our club rather than getting their heads turned by playing elsewhere. Incidentally, while he looks a bit raw, I hadn't realised he's only 17. Already looks like he could give us some options off the bench if we need a goal. He gives defenders problems.

21 hours ago, RobS said:

He got bullied a bit by an experienced and, sometimes nasty, opponent. Lots to build on, look forward to. But I think the lad needs a bit of experience playing against men. Before he is expected to play against really good men.

47 minutes ago, gdm said:

For anyone that’s not seen him 

He looks a raw talent, from that video, how good is Isak man ?

Reminds me a lot of the Albert Luque highlight reel that did the rounds pre signing for us. 

Edited by TBG

On 12/08/2024 at 01:27, TBG said:

Reminds me a lot of the Albert Luque highlight reel that did the rounds pre signing for us. 

Wow that unlocks a memory. I remember the song even. “You should’ve gone to Hollywood”.

Wish things went better