AFC Bournemouth 1-1 Newcastle United (25/08/24)

BlueStar

1 minute ago, Armchair Pundit said:

To be honest, looking at the game stats from yesterday you'd think it was a fair result where both teams played reasonably well... part of me wonders if we're being overly critical... but then I remember that I watched the match and we looked out of sorts, the starting eleven had no energy, no real drive and made some really poor mistakes:

image.thumb.png.524c491b32856a44b6b6981609d4df51.png

What does Eddie do to get us back on track? Do we need the uncertainty of a marquee signing to be resolved, is the issue that we've got stale and need some fresh blood to pep us up again?

Another thing which pissed me off yesterday our stupid short corners, why are we doing short fucking corners yet limping it long from free kicks in our own half. 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Another thing which pissed me off yesterday our stupid short corners, why are we doing short fucking corners yet limping it long from free kicks in our own half. 

Good point, it's not like we don't have the height in players to be dominating from corners being floated into the box and we'd had bugger all luck from trying to play to feet for the majority of the game.

It's handball by the letter of the law, I don't really understand people getting MS Paint out in the ref thread when it's so clear. 

If it happened to us, as it has done plenty of times (Wilson and Joelinton just in the last few seasons) I'd be pissed off because the rule is stupid, not because they got the rule 'wrong'.

Same goes with the Man United one on Saturday, it's a stupid rule with no flexibility but they made the right decision by the rule. The rule needs to change basically, but tbh I'm not sure it would mean allowing Bournemouth's goal yesterday, it would be more instances like Zirkee, or if a defender smashes the ball into their arm and it goes in. Used for situations where the ball was already going in, or the attacker isn't at fault.

Edited by Kid Icarus

19 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

We stopped the short corners once tripper came on. Obviously didn't have confidence in their own ability to deliver a good cross 🙄 (or Howe doesn't) 

18 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's handball by the letter of the law, I don't really understand people getting MS Paint out in the ref thread when it's so clear. 

If it happened to us, as it has done plenty of times (Wilson and Joelinton just in the last few seasons) I'd be pissed off because the rule is stupid, not because they got the rule 'wrong'.

Same goes with the Man United one on Saturday, it's a stupid rule with no flexibility but they made the right decision by the rule.

Precisely, the ball falls mid upper arm, not on the shoulder or the even in line with the armpit. Unfortunately for them, upper arm is still handball, regardless of the stupidity of the rule.

27 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Set pieces is a strange one with us. There are periods of the season where we are set piece kings, and there are other periods of the season where our set pieces are near useless.

Edited by Erikse

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

We need better than Murphy if we're going to progress but it's hardly the crime of the century that he's still starting games for us, as if he's Paul Dummett or Isaac Hayden. Blame PSR if anything. 

This is basically what I'm implying, people seem to act that Murphy is absolutely horrendous and it's a war crime he's starting, when factually he's been effective over the last few seasons, even if he's not been spectacular.

34 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

Gordon seems like he's lost his enthusiasm compared to how he was last season. Just doesn't seem right

I thought this, at times. But then, the whole team looked a bit listless and so hard to single him out - probably I was looking a bit too much into it after all the Liverpool speculation / Euros stuff.

Longstaff races into the box, pushes the ball into space. Defender shoulder charges him because he's got zero chance of getting the ball. 

Anywhere else on the pitch it's a foul. 

Just me? 😂

Thought a point was about right in the end.

We started well, but lost our way. Without Schar, we struggle to play out from the back and I wouldn't be adverse to us being a bit more direct, particularly against another high-pressing team.

It also looked like we fell into a 4-4-2, particularly off the ball which is new and wasn't particularly effective.

After the subs we went back into our normal shape and looked a lot better. Barnes and Hall looked very lively down the left and I thought we were the better team from that point.

The handball was the correct decision, bit it's a ridiculous rule that needs changing. 

Edited by The Prophet

16 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Longstaff races into the box, pushes the ball into space. Defender shoulder charges him because he's got zero chance of getting the ball. 

Just me? 😂

If you thought he should have gotten a pen then yes, just you.

Three goal scoring chances when the attacking player missed the ball with his head and came off his shoulder/upper arm (two us one time). Must be quite rare. Think they were at different ends so rules out angle of the sun I guess. 

20 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Just me? 😂

Yeah, sorry mate, but I was raging at Longstaff for going down like a complete fanny and trying to con the ref' when it was quite clearly never a pen. It's the worst part of his game tbh, and I'm a Longstaff fan. 

4 minutes ago, Displayname said:

If you thought he should have gotten a pen then yes, just you.

For what it is worth @Groundhog63 I was shocked nothing was given/looked at. In real time looked like upper arm to chest with no attempt to play the ball, which was live/would have been reached. 

1 hour ago, jackyboy said:

Gordon seems like he's lost his enthusiasm compared to how he was last season. Just doesn't seem right

People were having a go at Bruno this time last year. He'll be fine. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I agree with him.

I remember in the build up to Keegan walking out under Ashley that there was a similar feeling to how things are now.

Shit football two games in a row. At the end of the day it will come down to the players aren't good enough - which with some of them it's been clear for some time - or our training/game plan isn't working.

We need to recognise that we can't keep coasting with "good squad players" if they end up playing too many first team games. We also need to understand that we aren't just fighting the cartel clubs, there are other teams like Brighton and Villa who aren't standing still, and they are in the same market as us.

Don't want to overreact as it's early days, but our football in general seems to have gone backwards for some time since we first qualified for the CL. Been very patchy for a long time now.

1 minute ago, Matt1892 said:

I agree with him.

I remember in the build up to Keegan walking out under Ashley that there was a similar feeling to how things are now.

I’m not sure it’s that bad, but I do agree something feels off with the club at the minute.

28 minutes ago, Heron said:

Yeah, sorry mate, but I was raging at Longstaff for going down like a complete fanny and trying to con the ref' when it was quite clearly never a pen. It's the worst part of his game tbh, and I'm a Longstaff fan. 

Longstaffs slow motion dives, are an embarrassment. Has he ever actually successfully conned the ref with them? :lol:

You would think somebody would have had a word with him about it by now. 

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’m not sure it’s that bad, but I do agree something feels off with the club at the minute.

I think there was a belief that something wasn’t right but with the club putting on a happy front, it was quite a long time ago.

I get a similar feeling now, I don’t think we would bring in someone Howe didn’t want though and instead the stand off is more likely to us missing out on targets instead.

Like I’ve said elsewhere, if we don’t get Europe then Howe will be sacked, maybe that is the long game.

53 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

People were having a go at Bruno this time last year. He'll be fine. 

I wasn't having it when many people said it at the time, but in retrospect it looks like they were right - Bruno's form improved as soon as he got a new contract. In other words, he wasn't playing well because he wasn't happy.

Hopefully something similar happens with Gordon.