Darren Eales

Ronson333

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I mean I see a bucket load of contradictions tbh, I’m not overly keen on Eales and I think you’ve summed up his achievements perfectly but we are seeing some revisions to history. 

AS didn’t want the job as CEO YAR told her she could do it and she declined, she appointed eales. I’m not speaking negatively of AS because she’s been an absolute force of nature for the club but at the same time the PSR issues we’ve run in to happened under her watch. 

I think you’ve summed it up perfectly mind it’s an absolute shambles from top to bottom and these noises are sadly predictable. 

Yep, you could see how she drove things - and her skills as a ‘deal maker’ clearly transferred into football pretty well.  I’m just uncomfortable if there is a load of briefing of favoured journalists out of petty revenge - and Eales was her hire. 

But I suspect Eales’s time as a karaoke lounge lizard are likely at a close for now - I doubt that he’ll get a smiling reception from the entire crowd in the Stack if he does it again.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, you could see how she drove things - and her skills as a ‘deal maker’ clearly transferred into football pretty well.  I’m just uncomfortable if there is a load of briefing of favoured journalists out of petty revenge - and Eales was her hire. 

But I suspect Eales’s time as a karaoke lounge lizard are likely at a close for now - I doubt that he’ll get a smiling reception from the entire crowd in the Stack if he does it again.

As I ponder this more it’s actually quite telling that everything positive that’s occured = MG/AS

Anything negative. = anyone else Ashworth Mitchell, Eales etc. 

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Tbf, Hope and especially Edwards aren't Staveley client journalists are they?

7 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

As I ponder this more it’s actually quite telling that everything positive that’s occured = MG/AS

Anything negative. = anyone else Ashworth Mitchell, Eales etc. 

The Hope article talks about her genius in negotiating the Minteh transfer - which is no longer a cock-up under AS’s watch, but proof of her brilliance as an executive.  The article also wonders whether AS & MG also ‘would have got the Guehi transfer done’, which strikes me as a bit of an odd statement all things considered.

Hmmm …. :) 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The Hope article talks about her genius in negotiating the Minteh transfer - which is no longer a cock-up under AS’s watch, but proof of her brilliance as an executive.  AS & MG also ‘definitely would have got the Guehi transfer done’, which strikes me as a bit of an odd statement all things considered.

Hmmm …. :) 

Also, he says that as if he hasn’t just said that Parish was straining us along.

Just now, Stifler said:

Also, he says that as if he hasn’t just said that Parish was straining us along.

Yep, while apparently Parish held Eales completely accountable for the botched approach for Freedman.

Guess who was still at the club when this approach failed?  :)

Again, I’m not doubting the veracity of a lot of the stories, and we should be collectively grateful for what Staveley did - but this does feel a lot like point-scoring from a certain party. 

It's definitely a weird feeling considering how things are in the hierarchy currently. I won't pretend to know a great deal about Eales but all of those videos of singing on stage and downing pints with the fans, is totally cringeworthy, like ridiculously so. It's Conference League stuff and comes across as a lad that has just downed 10 pints of Stella.

In contrast, look at Amanda Staveley, built a rapport, a very strong one, with the fans and community, but did so in an elegant, endearing and 'in this together' mentality. Compare that to Eales and possible attempts to 'engage the fans', and it's night and day, and like I say, absolutely cringeworthy.

29 minutes ago, Decky said:

Jesus none of that sounds good. Only positive is unlike the Ashley years PIF won't suffer fools and if Eales continues the trend of disappointment he'll be out.

That's the main point to take from all this. ANYBODY who PIF feel aren't doing their jobs properly, will be out the door. 

That's a massively positive thing going forward.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

That does still leave a question mark over why her biggest critic, Luke Edwards, is also reporting the same things...

My guess (all I can offer) would be that Eales and Mitchell really did make a pig’s ear of much of it - and also Staveley is briefing her favourite members of the local press at the same time.

The issues didn’t begin after 11 July would be my view, but it looks like Eales and Mitchell have compounded them. 

14 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

My guess (all I can offer) would be that Eales and Mitchell really did make a pig’s ear of much of it - and also Staveley is briefing her favourite members of the local press at the same time.

The issues didn’t begin after 11 July would be my view, but it looks like Eales and Mitchell have compounded them. 

It also seems possible/likely that putting all of our eggs in the Guehi basket was driven by Eddie. There have been reports that Mitchell wanted to go after other players but Eddie wasn't keen on them.

It's a mess whichever way you look at it, and ultimately Eales responsibility to have got a handle on it and make the decision to move on to different targets earlier.

I'm not really convinced by him yet.

This is from the i when he was appointed;

Eales recounted to the Jed Hughes podcast earlier this year that he built Atlanta United’s fanbase “pub crawl by pub crawl” – drinking with supporter groups and applying the personal touch to the issue of fan engagement.

Indeed, he was so regularly pictured out drinking with supporters that when the club ended up looking for a picture of Eales for an MLS presentation, they ended up having to Photoshop the pint glass out of his hand.

This may well be unfair and a hit job from them, but I didn't like that at the time and think he was doing a different job at Atlanta, which was to build fan engagement, yet he's already got that here.

And that he also built them into a "commercial juggernaut", which we're yet to see here, maybe because he's working in an altogether different environment compared to the MLS.

Then there were the comments about letting Eddie concentrate on what he's good at, which I don't imagine would have gone down well for someone previously involved in everything. Cloth eared at best, if this was really sprung on Howe.

All complete and utter speculation and time will tell, I suppose.

I mean what I will say is that my confidence isn’t sky high with this bloke currently, from a CEO point of view I can understand why he’d want to be able to get on with things without interference though.

There can be no doubt that Amanda was a force of nature and got things done, however she’s probably most culpable for the PSR situation, but she sorted it before she left so fair play.

Eales really needs actions to speak louder than words now, the fanbase is cynical of gobshites who don’t deliver, we need to see something tangible going forward from him.

Uncertainty, poor decision making, unrest amongst the squad. It’s taken a couple of years but it feels just like home again. 
image.thumb.jpeg.2d0ef9a304c6ad3fc472dfa9a9bf7ba7.jpeg

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

I mean I see a bucket load of contradictions tbh, I’m not overly keen on Eales and I think you’ve summed up his achievements perfectly but we are seeing some revisions to history. 

AS didn’t want the job as CEO YAR told her she could do it and she declined, she appointed eales. I’m not speaking negatively of AS because she’s been an absolute force of nature for the club but at the same time the PSR issues we’ve run in to happened under her watch. 

I think you’ve summed it up perfectly mind it’s an absolute shambles from top to bottom and these noises are sadly predictable. 

I would be interested to know - since he's been in the job what has he done? Other than push Amanda out?

Edited by duo

16 minutes ago, RS said:

Uncertainty, poor decision making, unrest amongst the squad. It’s taken a couple of years but it feels just like home again. 
image.thumb.jpeg.2d0ef9a304c6ad3fc472dfa9a9bf7ba7.jpeg

Howay man !! It's been one poor transfer window. ONE  v 14 years of shit, how can you compare the two ? 

10 minutes ago, Dancing Brave said:

Howay man !! It's been one poor transfer window. ONE  v 14 years of shit, how can you compare the two ? 

It was tongue in cheek but you’ve got to admit the start of this season has a very ashley’esque feel to it:  Trouble in the squad.  Dubious decision making. Unwelcome back room appointments…..very familiar 

Just now, RS said:

It was tongue in cheek but you’ve got to admit the start of this season has a very ashley’esque feel to it:  Trouble in the squad.  Dubious decision making. Unwelcome back room appointments…..very familiar 

Arrh "Tongue in cheek" fair enough.

However things are never going to click straight into place when a new management team take over, not just in football but every where.

I also think the so called trouble in the squad is just shit stirring from click loving crap journalists, who btw never said a word against ashley and his minions for all those years.

The players look canny happy to me.

I'll judge Eales after he's had a fair spell in the job. 

3 minutes ago, RS said:

I've seen a few people referencing "trouble in the squad", but what is this in relation to? Apart from Trippier wanting a move for non footballing reasons, I haven't really read anything else to suggest there's unrest

11 minutes ago, RS said:

You don’t have to admit anything of the sort. 

7 minutes ago, Andy said:

I've seen a few people referencing "trouble in the squad", but what is this in relation to? Apart from Trippier wanting a move for non footballing reasons, I haven't really read anything else to suggest there's unrest

Howe alluded to some of the squad being unsettled. Not sure that classes as unrest mind.