Newcastle United Vs. AFC Wimbledon [LCR3] (01/10/24) Live on SkySports+ (Chelsea (h) if we progress)

11 minutes ago, Kanji said:

What do we think the attendance will be tonight?

Somewhere between 51.5k and 52k.

With more empty seats visible (mackem-style, although not to that extreme) because people have signed up to the cup scheme but then not been able/bothered to go.

19 hours ago, LFEE said:

You only get one chance to advance in the Cup. More chance of us winning the cup. That’s how I’ve deduced this is a bigger game to Saturday.

Tbh we should be able to put out a team with a few key players rested and still beat Wimbledon at home. If we can't then we weren't meant to win this competition anyway.

Just now, TRon said:

Tbh we should be able to put out a team with a few key players rested and still beat Wimbledon at home. If we can't then we weren't meant to win this competition anyway.

A couple for sure but you need them on the bench which was the debates starting point.

Not true. You can when everyone in form. Winning games by more than one goal allowing us to hand out minutes. We aren’t currently but we could gain form and peak for final. Unlike our last final.

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

A couple for sure but you need them on the bench which was the debates starting point.

Not true. You can when everyone in form. Winning games by more than one goal allowing us to hand out minutes. We aren’t currently but we could gain form and peak for final. Unlike our last final.

I would expect Gordon and Bruno to be on the bench anyway, they could get a run out if needed - which they shouldn't be. This game is obviously important, but playing a side so far below us in stature gives us the opportunity to let some of our other players start a game. Tha's the whole point in having a strong squad.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I would expect Gordon and Bruno to be on the bench anyway, they could get a run out if needed - which they shouldn't be. This game is obviously important, but playing a side so far below us in stature gives us the opportunity to let some of our other players start a game. Tha's the whole point in having a strong squad.

The original poster didn’t think so. I’m in agreement with you.

14 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Excluding unknown quantities from the academy, there isn't a team we could put out that wouldn't be landslide favourites at home to a mid-table League 2 outfit. If we can't win that fixture without Bruno and Gordon in the side, then that really does indicate that the players haven't stepped up. Thankfully there's zero evidence to indicate we'd be anything other than utterly professional. 

I don't think there's much of a cautionary tale with Sheff Wed because we should've won that three times over, and you can easily counter-argue with the 3-0 at Old Trafford, where we had a front three of Miggy, Gordon and Ritchie and a CB pairing of Krafth and Dummett.

Cup upsets happen but when you're going hell for leather on all fronts, you take any opportunity to protect your most crucial players. 

Dubravka

Tino       Krafth      Burn      Kelly

Tonali   Longstaff   Willock

Almiron         Osula         Murphy

Targett for Burn? and swap position with Kelly. No other options for Tonali?

In the spirit of the game having no possible extra time tonight, I ended up talking about when we played Leicester back in 2019 and got knocked out on pens - took me a minute to remember that Barnes started that game [emoji38]