Newcastle United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur (01/09/24) | Reaction: pg 48 | Goal posts: OP

Yorkie

Our initial press off the ball is welcome, but as soon as they come into our half they don’t do any of it.

Still a case of players playing themselves into trouble instead of making the pass. That freekick when Gordon was free on the right, we took it to the left in front of 2 Spurs players, lost it and it ended up going to Pope to hoof it back to Spurs. Just think man.

Spurs have practiced their kick corners, we haven’t, they are taking theirs quickly, we don’t. They have looked dangerous with theirs, we don’t.

We need greater control of the game in the 2nd half.

Just now, Upthemags said:

Hope Gordon hasn't checked out. Barnes objectively the better option on the left at this stage in the season

Still doesn’t look fully fit. He’ll either sign a new contract this season or be sold I think. 

1 minute ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Tonali adds so much to game like this and you can see Longstaff’s limitations (not that he’s done anything particularly wrong)

Other than falling on his ass two times in dangerous positions(one for them, one for us).

Edited by Displayname

Just now, BoSelecta said:

20 more mins max of Longstaff first choice RCM.

Deserves no shade at all today. Positionally and physically very good and played some nice passes.

Our inability to hold onto the ball is horrific. Pope is the most culpable as every kick concedes possession but there are a lot of other problems, Jow has had another poor performance, he needs to switch the fuck on. We need more players who are comfortable on the ball in this side. Tonali for Longstaff as soon as possible. Hall for Kelly as well, all their attacks are coming down their left with Son and Maddison. Hall will be fine defensively against them but will offer way more going forwards on the ball 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Tino makes me nervous; delivery very poor and often looks out of position far too centrally.

His heavy passes to Gordon has stifled so many attacks.

2 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

My theory he burned himself out in England training but Gareth was hell bent on Foden so its harmed us in the long run.

Me and the missus both think he looks ill, he's lost a bit of weight and it's not like he needed to, only an observation, not trying to start a conspiracy.

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I hate that midfield 3. There’s just no ball retention and 2 out of 3 of them need an extra touch. Can’t afford that. Tonali moonwalks into the team tbh.

Not sure that one change fixes it mind. Although having someone show for the ball when the defence has it will be an improvement mind. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

Deserves no shade at all today. Positionally and physically very good and played some nice passes.

Think we're watching different games mate. Not sure I saw Longstaff make a single progressive pass.

Think a large reason we've looked so pedestrian this season is that Isak and particularly Gordon just don't seem to be at the races yet.

Gordon looks way off the pace, not sure what's up with him.

Isak hasn't been bad, I don't think. But we haven't seen many real flashes of brilliance from him either.

3 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I hate that midfield 3. There’s just no ball retention and 2 out of 3 of them need an extra touch. Can’t afford that. Tonali moonwalks into the team tbh.

Agreed. There’s no footballing ability at the back either. Not seen Tino on it yet this season either. 

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Our inability to hold onto the ball is horrific. Pope is the most culpable as every kick concedes possession but there are a lot of other problems, Jow has had another poor performance, he needs to switch the fuck on. We need more players who are comfortable on the ball in this side. Tonali for Longstaff as soon as possible. Hall for Kelly as well, all their attacks are coming down their left with Son and Maddison. Hall will be fine defensively against them but will offer way more going forwards on the ball 

? Kelly created the goal

Edited by Doops

Bruno having a quiet one. We need him to influence the match more in the second half. 

I’m excited for Tonali to get involved the second half. Hopefully it will stop us from dropping into that 5 in the back that is inviting so much pressure. 

Just now, Upthemags said:

Think we're watching different games mate. Not sure I saw Longstaff make a single progressive pass.

Well off the top of my head he was there to rebuild the move for the goal after the corner, and switched one absolute raker out to Barnes on the wing.

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Not throwing shade but Tonali is levels above, particularly in possession when moving the ball forward quickly.