Newcastle United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur (01/09/24) | Reaction: pg 48 | Goal posts: OP

Yorkie

4 minutes ago, Menace said:

I think Ange was mad not to start Johnson - was giving Kelly a tough time when he came on

Tbf, since he went there, he's flattered to deceive for me. 

Think both Kelly and Hall backed off him too much. 

Should've been halved at some point 😂

13 minutes ago, Vaj said:

It would feel very harsh on Burn but I would like to see us go with a back four of Hall - Kelly - Schar - Tino against Wolves in order to get us passing the ball out again. Absolutely no chance of it happening mind you. 

Agreed. I think/hope we will see that back 4 at some point in the season. But I also can’t see it being in the next game against Wolves. 

Arrived in Estepona at half 11 yesterday, straight to the bar to watch this. 

Very satisfying win, couple of Chelsea fans piled in telling the lass on the bar to put their game on to watch 'a proper fackin clab', thankfully she ignored them as I was in first so they eventually scuttle off......only for a spuds fan to walk in giving it the biggun about how they 'always score late and would finish with the points'. 

I walked back to my hotel happy, as he shouted 'you cant!' as I left :lol: in a joking way mind he was pretty sound.  Great start to my holiday. 

5 minutes ago, Disco said:
8 minutes ago, Menace said:

I think Ange was mad not to start Johnson - was giving Kelly a tough time when he came on

Couldn’t finish his dinner that lad.

A timely reminder that throwing shitloads of money at wingers guarantees fuck all.

Meanwhile... :juicy:

With regards to Kelly; he has one negative trait (sorry, I know) which caught my eye yesterday, he backs off too much and leaves space in front of him. Yes, he tries to shepard them outside of him and stays on his feet but... Hmmm!

His pace and tackling counters this,  but he often lets the attacker get into dangerous areas and that was where a few of their chances came from. Needs to be more aggressive/proactive

1 hour ago, simonsays said:

Anyone watching the highlights on MOTD who then listened to the pundits going on about how Spurs should have won would have been mightily confused - all the good chances that were show  were for us.  Goes to show it's quality of possession and chances that makes the difference rather than just volume

Swansea under Rodgers at times were the perfect example - pissed about playing it across the back four and often got 65 - 70% possession!

4 minutes ago, buzza said:

With regards to Kelly; he has one negative trait (sorry, I know) which caught my eye yesterday, he backs off too much and leaves space in front of him. Yes, he tries to shepard them outside of him and stays on his feet but... Hmmm!

His pace and tackling counters this,  but he often lets the attacker get into dangerous areas and that was where a few of their chances came from. Needs to be more aggressive/proactive

Probably fits in with my main concern with him at left back and that is that he seems to struggle to stop the crosses. One of the reasons we conceded against Bournemouth and there were a few dangerous balls in yesterday as well 

3 hours ago, simonsays said:

Anyone watching the highlights on MOTD who then listened to the pundits going on about how Spurs should have won would have been mightily confused - all the good chances that were show  were for us.  Goes to show it's quality of possession and chances that makes the difference rather than just volume

I actually thought they were quite fair, really. They pointed out that whilst their high press and all-out attack allowed them to dominate for long periods, the flip side was that when their press failed, their back four (which ended up as a back two really) was very exposed on the half-way line.

Postecoglou seems determined to stick with this method, and no doubt his persistence has paid off in the past. But he's up against a different level of opposition and he probably needs to adjust if he's going to achieve his club's potential.

Just watched the MOTD2 highlights.  Romero is such a clown show.  Constantly drawn to the ball and/or the man like a moth to a flame.  At fault for both our goals.  

I also just realised it was Maddison being weak as piss and naive for the first goal on Kelly, along with the second on Joelinton which we all saw straight away.  Beautiful. 

Not sure what is more suicidal.  The way they almost play with a back 2 a lot of the time or the fact that they went with a midfield 3 away from home with Maddison in it. 

It's easy to see why they spent a lot of time in our half when they commit so many bodies forward.  But then there is no protection at all going the other way.  Risk v reward, of course.  But they are so wide open it is unreal.  We should have really been 2-0 up after 50 minutes, due to this.  Which was before they had any of their better chances, I think.    

8 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I actually thought they were quite fair, really. They pointed out that whilst their high press and all-out attack allowed them to dominate for long periods, the flip side was that when their press failed, their back four (which ended up as a back two really) was very exposed on the half-way line.

Postecoglou seems determined to stick with this method, and no doubt his persistence has paid off in the past. But he's up against a different level of opposition and he probably needs to adjust if he's going to achieve his club's potential.

The commentary team and pundits were all talking as though 'it was only a matter of time before they scored', when in reality we were just as likely to hit them on the break as they were to break us down. Missed a couple of chances ourselves and had a stonewall pen waved away.

Think Tottenham lack a player who can run at a defence and cause panic, which is what we're generally poor at defending against. Wolves are full of them, and if we play the same way against them the game will be a different story imo.

2 hours ago, Paully said:

Swansea under Rodgers at times were the perfect example - pissed about playing it across the back four and often got 65 - 70% possession!

Didn’t they have 82% when we won 2-0?

41 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Didn’t they have 82% when we won 2-0?

Remember this after Sunderland did the same to them? :lol:

“It is great for the public here at Sunderland to see us,” said manager Brendan Rodgers. “They must have been wondering what this team everyone is talking about are all about and now they have seen. We were wonderful" 

3 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Johnson was their best player when he came on IMO, but don’t know enough to say why he isn’t starting. 

Odobert looks miles away from ready for the PL. 

Apparently one of those players who does well off the bench, gets a start off the back of it and then doesn’t perform 

Spurs need a some strength and graft in the middle of the park. They overload midfield with the full backs pushing on and in but when it breaks down there's nobody to sort it out or put a good foul in. Bissouma isn't it .