Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Newcastle United: 15/09/24 @ 16:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Just now, Mazzy said:

Away from home that's usually the smart move. Wolves are no mugs but I think the disappointing thing is Tonali is just as capable defensively as Longstaff, there isn't a reason other than loyalty to stick with him anymore.

Except that Longstaff has had more rest and more time to prepare for the game. 

I know I'm being a bit contrarian here, but there's absolutely valid arguments for what Howe has done. We all want to see Tonali play as much as possible and do well.

7 minutes ago, Conjo said:

His selection clearly isn't only based on permanent first choice / bench players. Gordon and Barnes started just last game. It's clearly not performance based only either, as that would mean Barnes LW & Murphy RW with Gordon on the bench, which fwiw I bet you'd have a pre-moan about too :lol: 

We wouldn't have won against Tottenham if it wasn't for Murphy. Does he not deserve a chance when he does well too, or is that only applicable to our perceived best players?

Murphy did well for the goal and is a good squad player, but did he (or can he) do anything like the skill Barnes pulled off for his goal? That sort of quality doesn't grow on tree’s, he always looks dangerous in the final third. It’s not to say Murphy can’t play well, hopefully has a blinder, but there’s a bigger picture to this. Barnes has STILL never had a proper run in the side and if he’s not going to get one now then I don’t see how he ever will barring injuries. Murphy has had plenty of runs in the side the last few years, we know what he can do. I know it’s about opinion but I can’t really believe that anyone deep down genuinely thinks Murphy has more ability, is more effective than Barnes or is in a better run of form. What happened to forming relationships / patterns of play between players? We could put out a top class front three over a run of games and we’re not and I don’t think Howe has any interest in playing them together for a proper run of games. I find it absolutely baffling and I feel for Barnes, who will rightly be thinking about a move away if he’s seen primarily as a bench player. 

4 minutes ago, andycap said:

No point having a strong bench if howe only uses three of the buggers of it. 

So you think we should shove on 6 subs every game no matter how the game is going?  Ridiculous train of thought.

Just now, Mazzy said:

Away from home that's usually the smart move. Wolves are no mugs but I think the disappointing thing is Tonali is just as capable defensively as Longstaff, there isn't a reason other than loyalty to stick with him anymore.

There definitely is given how long Tonali has been out and is being eased back in, played a lot in the last week etc. If he's not starting regularly within the next month or so though I'll be really disappointed. Don't think that will happen, think like Bruno before him he'll force his way into the side and become undroppable 

1 minute ago, Rod said:

So you think we should shove on 6 subs every game no matter how the game is going?  Ridiculous train of thought.

Yeah most the other teams do. Bit of fitness in there legs. 

Just now, STM said:

Yep, I think I will be avoiding this place for a couple of hours. :lol:

There is a cancer in this place. The culture is so negative. Constant moaning about every.little.thing. 

I personally trust our manager to do the awesome job he has been doing. LFG

1 minute ago, timnufc22 said:

Murphy did well for the goal and is a good squad player, but did he (or can he) do anything like the skill Barnes pulled off for his goal? That sort of quality doesn't grow on tree’s, he always looks dangerous in the final third. It’s not to say Murphy can’t play well, hopefully has a blinder, but there’s a bigger picture to this. Barnes has STILL never had a proper run in the side and if he’s not going to get one now then I don’t see how he ever will barring injuries. Murphy has had plenty of runs in the side the last few years, we know what he can do. I know it’s about opinion but I can’t really believe that anyone deep down genuinely thinks Murphy has more ability, is more effective than Barnes or is in a better run of form. What happened to forming relationships / patterns of play between players? We could put out a top class front three over a run of games and we’re not and I don’t think Howe has any interest in playing them together for a proper run of games. I find it absolutely baffling and I feel for Barnes, who will rightly be thinking about a move away if he’s seen primarily as a bench player. 

I get your point and frustration, and I defenitely do not think Murphy has more ability nor is more effective in front of goal than Barnes. I just don't get worried about Barnes feelings (he can leave if he doesn't like it), or that Howe has done anything other than setting the team up to do the best it can.

Just now, Conjo said:

Except that Longstaff has had more rest and more time to prepare for the game. 

I know I'm being a bit contrarian here, but there's absolutely valid arguments for what Howe has done. We all want to see Tonali play as much as possible and do well.

Don't disagree with that and I absolutely expected Longstaff to start. But competitive games is what Tonali needed to get himself back up to speed. He's had two of those in the last week and a bit, that can't now ALSO be used as a reason not to start him. 

Is he rusty and not match sharp enough? or is he now overtired from playing those matches to gain sharpness? 

Talking about Tonali playing games midweek sounds reasonable and all, but we all know that Longstaff most like won't do much at all. Even a Tonali at 50% would be better. Why does he need to be 100%?

6 minutes ago, andycap said:

Didn't chelsea bang five in against them at molineux? 

So that means we'll do the same? Or atleast a certain win for us right? Is that how it works in football? Okay I'll get the bet on that right now, I'm blaming you if it doesn't come in.