Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Newcastle United: 15/09/24 @ 16:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

9 minutes ago, andycap said:

No but you wouldn't be going there with a defensive setup. When you know they can be got at. 

How do you explain Hall over Kelly then?

21 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Depends on Howes game plan. If it's to ride an early storm from a Wolves (Longstaff will be fresher than Tonali, Murphy works harder off the ball than Barnes) that will be desperate to bounce back from the trashing they got against Chelsea, and put on more quality players when Wolves are tired late in the game then it kinda makes sense.

Or due to other considerations....prefer to not cry like so many on here and trust that Howe has this in the bag.

Tbh the gameplan only works because it's Wolves. Play Longstaff and Murphy against a better side and we get footballed to death.

Still, we ARE playing Wolves, so hopefully against the shitter teams, Murphy and Longstaff can more than match the opposition for technical ability.

9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Horror combo on that right side of Murphy, Longstaff and Tino. Not liking that.

What's funny about it is that the defender of those three probably has the most skill going forward.

7 minutes ago, Pata said:

People are giving grief to Howe for last season's injury crisis but can't stand it when he tries to spread the fatigue. Tonali playing 180 minutes for Italy while Longstaff didn't play at all means playing Longstaff simply makes sense. 

Respectfully disagree in the case of Tonali, simply because he needs the minutes and is clearly miles better than Longstaff. Plus, it's still early in the season so fatigue won't or shouldn't be as much of a factor. Completely agree though that we do need to manage the rotation a lot better going forward 

12 minutes ago, Pata said:

People are giving grief to Howe for last season's injury crisis but can't stand it when he tries to spread the fatigue. Tonali playing 180 minutes for Italy while Longstaff didn't play at all means playing Longstaff simply makes sense. 

And Longstaff hasn't played for 2 weeks, so he might be rusty, right? Howe used this argument last season when we lost to Palace. We hadn't played for 2 weeks and they played 3 days prior, and they were all over us.

Edited by Erikse

2 minutes ago, midds said:

The fatigue argument would possibly make sense if we were in February or whatever but we're a handful of games into the season and he's had a year off. No one will convince me Longstaff over Tonali is the best choice for today. It's like leaving the Bentley in the garage and getting the bus to work instead

I worded it badly, I'm not saying Tonali is fatigued but he has played a lot of football in a short time after a ten month break. This could easily be a Bunce suggestion too, we don't want Sandro to get injured when his body probably isn't used to playing a lot yet.

At the risk being on the wrong end of the pitch forks I sort of get Longstaff over Tonali. Hasn’t played in a year then placed twice for Italy in the break. If he started and got injured that would be the obvious criticism. 

Murphy over Barnes though… 

10 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Worst part is that we’ve already seen this season how poor it is… makes no sense. Hopefully we’re still level after an hour so Howe can do his usual triple sub.

2 minutes ago, Erikse said:

And Longstafg hasn't played for 2 weeks, so he might be rusty, right? Howe used this argument last season when we lost to Palace. We hadn't played for 2 weeks and they played 3 days prior, and they were all over us.

Give over man.

1 minute ago, simonsays said:

First XI is disappointing but the options off the bench are pretty tasty 

Will be an honour to see 3 of them on sixty minutes being a goal down.

1 minute ago, Pata said:

I worded it badly, I'm not saying Tonali is fatigued but he has played a lot of football in a short time after a ten month break. This could easily be a Bunce suggestion too, we don't want Sandro to get injured when his body probably isn't used to playing a lot yet.

It's been less than 3 games for him I think? If we're protecting players after 3 games then we may as well give up. Being scared to play your best players in the middle of September because you don't want them to get tired is insane imo. It's even worse when the gap in quality is so big. 

Fatigue will need to be managed better this season but not yet. Surely? :lol:

We always seem to play shit here. With the way we have started the season performance-wise this is going to be a long, grim afternoon of football.

We need everyone up for the game from the start. We also need to use possession better than we have thus far. Bruno leads by example in both of these areas tbh.

Just now, midds said:

It's been less than 3 games for him I think? If we're protecting players after 3 games then we may as well give up. Being scared to play your best players in the middle of September because you don't want them to get tired is insane imo. It's even worse when the gap in quality is so big. 

Protecting them so they can play twice in one week for Italy. :lol:

17 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The problem in that three is their lack of ability to keep hold of the ball. Murphy and Longstaff in particular are terrible for giving the ball away which in turn gives Tino extra work to do.

Its not like Tonali is unfit after being 10 months away, he probably had the most optimized training to get in the best physical form possible. He just isnt match fit, and the only thing that helps with that is minutes on the pitch.

6 minutes ago, Pata said:

Give over man.

So not playing in 2 weeks doesn't matter anymore? Why don't you reply to the actual point?

Edited by Erikse

2 minutes ago, midds said:

He played 90 on Friday and 90 on Monday. I would obviously prefer to see Tonali over Longstaff but I can see why Longstaff starts today. 

7 minutes ago, St1pe said:

At the risk being on the wrong end of the pitch forks I sort of get Longstaff over Tonali. Hasn’t played in a year then placed twice for Italy in the break. If he started and got injured that would be the obvious criticism. 

Murphy over Barnes though… 

Yeah the Murphy one confuses me too, was kind of expecting Longstaff to start and Tonali coming in maybe v Fulham or something.