Dullard Punditry

Geordie_once_removed

I think this is the first topic I've ever started, so hopefully it isn't redundant as a similar one already exists or drop down the listings in a wave of apathy.  We often moan about the poor quality of punditry so why not let our bile pour out in one convenient place!

Anyway  I was looking at Troy Deeney's team of the week (thank god Crooks is finally gone) and several of his choices are just weird. Two Brighton players when they drew 0-0 at home to Ipswich, Smith Rowe who was ok in a 1-1 home draw against a very average West Ham and no Forest players who just won at Anfield for the first time since 1969!

On a side note why is it that the BBC finally gets rid of one lazy ill informed pundit (yes you Mark Lawrenson) only to like for like replace them with younger equally ill informed version (yes you Danny Murphy)? I haven't paid that much attention to Deeny, but my impression of his punditry is that he's very much in the mold of Crooks in that he thinks that TAKING A STAND!  on something, no matter how odd or inconsequential, is the key to being an interesting pundit. Hopefully he won't have Crooks' weird obsession with players hair.

Crooks is one of the few pundits who produced regular laughs, even if it wasn’t intentional. His inability to control both the words that came out of his mouth and the volume of those words was incredible at times.

I think there’ll come a time where it’ll be a lot harder to be a pundit just because you’re a footballer who had a good career at the top level. They will lose a lot of ground to actual analysts with time due to the rise of online pundits

Touched on it before but the general pig ignorance of Redknapp and Neville on clubs outside of the Cartel 6 is staggering. The “All With Smiling Faces” lads were hammering Redknapp for his comments on Schar shooting from outside the box. Something along the lines of “Newcastle fans would never have been shouting for Schar to have a shot”.

Obviously didn’t catch the Burnley, Forest, PSG and other goals as part of his no doubt extensive research pre-game.

Danny fucking Mills. Utter wanker and bellend.

Andy cunting Townsend. Fucking cockroach. Literally cannot be binned off. A proper 'get it in the box' merchant.

Micah 'bants' Richards. 

21 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

The “All With Smiling Faces” lads were hammering Redknapp for his comments on Schar shooting from outside the box. Something along the lines of “Newcastle fans would never have been shouting for Schar to have a shot”.

Merson also said he liked Howe because he often made big changes at HT whereas some managers wait until 60 minutes, which we know Howe usually does. 

It's a special level of arrogance to see something once then wrongly blag with certainty that you know how often it happens, and use it as the basis for your argument. 

Edited by Interpolic

Just the fact that most pundits have little to no knowledge of what they’re commenting on. Some of them don’t even bother to know what the rules are. 

Just being a player in the past seems to qualify you for any TV work you fancy, despite how shite at it you are. 

Watching on US TV is much better, although admittedly they’d probably irritate me too if I did it regularly. 

They essentially go for the classic lead commentator supplemented by a colour analyst. In regular sport, football included, this should be someone who calls the action as it happens ("play by play" in American parlance) and the colour analyst, usually an ex pro who is knowledgeable and has an ability to talk coherently to provide insight on why a player does something, what formation they go into during transitions, the role of a libero etc.

The problem is we don't have that, we have former players who had nothing to do in their downtime but play call of duty and watch WWE, whilst the lead announcers trying to get themselves over whilst belittling clubs they dislike. The colour analysts are so poor because they think the wrestling format of straight man/face lead commentator and heel colour analyst is the way it should work and so they try to come out with controversial comments about teams that aren't one of their darlings. This doesn't work as we expect decent analysis and insight from that role in football and not not just heelish jocularity or bitterness. The lead commentators seem to want to get themselves over in the same way too which then adds into an absolute mess in the commentary booth. This encourages both parties in the commentary team to do the most basic of research (read the teamsheet) and hope the fact they've watched/played football will carry them through the broadcast, without ever trying to improve themselves. As a commentator, research is a vital tool in your armoury, alongside having the presence and voice, a deep knowledge, and a sense of timing. 

The piss poor watered down wrestling style commentary teams that they're using as a shitty template isn't what a football fan, or indeed any serious sports fan wants. Yes, we want it to be entertaining and informative, not ignorance and bitterness. 

Edited by Stal
spelling

1 hour ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Andy Hinchcliffe. Cunt. 

:thup: he seems to think it's his job to tell us after every missed chance what the player should have done, when a) the player in question is invariably much better than he was, b) the incident has usually happened at very high speed, and c) the player has often done about as well as he can with it.

I don't think I've ever heard him say someone was unlucky, there is always something wrong that only he can explain to everyone. 

The difference between pundits like him and McCoist is that Hinchcliffe is fucking miserable about the game whereas McCoist talks about the game with joy and enthusiasm. And unfortunately McCoist is a rare breed. 

Who is the new main sky commentator, he is a pain the arse. 

Also, not really punditry but the men on Sky Sports News all dressed in casual clothes, it looks awful and seems "forced" trying to fit with lad culture.  Some of their clothes look like they were bought for them and they look uncomfortable wearing them.

1 minute ago, NG32 said:

Also, not really punditry but the men on Sky Sports News all dressed in casual clothes, it looks awful and seems "forced" trying to fit with lad culture.  Some of their clothes look like they were bought for them and they look uncomfortable wearing them.

It’s for the yoof these days. Not old farts like us. 

4 minutes ago, NG32 said:

Who is the new main sky commentator, he is a pain the arse. 

Lampard's shoes 

Rio Ferdinand just talks utter shit

The championship mob when we were last down used to do me in

Minto hinchcliffe and goodman. All 3 hated us

Edited by jack j