Our future, Howe vs Mitchell

Kid Icarus

Our direction: Howe vs Mitchell   

210 members have voted

1. 1. Howe or Mitchell?

• Howe
    • Mitchell

I wince at the question because I hate catastrophising in this NUFC era and I don't believe we'd even be considering this scenario were it not for certain journos pushing sensationalist angles. "Of course there's a door number 3 leading to something less shit, but let's do this anyway," is a bit of a depressing way of processing what's happening imo. 

I'm not sure it's even worth asking when you have to apply so much assumption to one of two options. No one knows what Paul Mitchell can actually bring to this club - it's entirely theoretical at this point. It's based on the idea of a Sporting Director we formed whilst enviously observing others from our seat at Ashley's Zombie FC.

If there's anything I've learned since we joined the land of the living, it's that the jury is out on the idea of Sporting Directors being the pivotal visionaries at their respective clubs. I keep reading that the manager/head coach shouldn't be given the keys to the castle and that such a thing is somehow more appropriately bestowed on a Sporting Director. But it's still just one man, you're just transferring that sensitivity to a different individual. 

Anyway, I'm still yet to see any real evidence that there's a pervading chasm between the two men. The transfer window went wrong but there's another one in a few short months; the only thing to hope for is that they're both still here and collaborating to result in something better.

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I don't believe we'd even be considering this scenario were it not for certain journos pushing sensationalist angles.

I'd encourage anyone who believes this (and who's also bored enough to bother) to go and see whether the reaction came after Mitchell's interview or after the articles about it.

tl;dr - it was after the interview 

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'd encourage anyone who believes this (and who's also bored enough to bother) to go and see whether the reaction came after Mitchell's interview or after the articles about it.

An interview that we were privy to exclusively through the lens of local and tabloid journos.

13 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If there's anything I've learned since we joined the land of the living, it's that the jury is out on the idea of Sporting Directors being the pivotal visionaries at their respective clubs. I keep reading that the manager/head coach shouldn't be given the keys to the castle and that such a thing is somehow more appropriately bestowed on a Sporting Director. But it's still just one man, you're just transferring that sensitivity to a different individual. 

Good way of putting it 

That Mitchell interview living rent free in KI’s head, damn. :lol: 

Howe’s earned the benefit of the doubt based on what he’s given to this club. Mitchell deserves a chance to do his job. And they both deserve a chance to work together.

Edited by Deuce

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

An interview that we were privy to exclusively through the lens of local and tabloid journos.

Set up by Mitchell, quoted verbatim and not a hint of what he said being spun into a negative until Hope did his own piece on it.

Edited by Kid Icarus

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Are you conveniently forgetting that it was started by Howe in the first place by saying he basically had very little input into the transfer window. Mitchell was fully in his right to come out and defend this. 

My thoughts on the whole matter are that I saw a huge red flag immediately when Mitchell did his interview through the press rather than official club channels. Not that I disagreed with much of what he said. But it clearly hasn't been and currently isn't rosy behind the scenes either imo.

I've personally lost a lot of faith that Howe is going to become the elite manager to see us through this next phase, mind. The showings on the pitch are testament to that atm.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Are you conveniently forgetting that it was started by Howe in the first place by saying he basically had very little input into the transfer window. Mitchell was fully in his right to come out and defend this. 

He basically said no such thing, he said he was a step removed from negotiations.

Howe came out with that interview because Mitchell was brought in apparently with Eales not telling Howe.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

The main itch I'm scratching is the one when I see posts about the reaction being media driven tbh. Proper annoys me, I can't lie.

It’s a shame it wasn’t a filmed interview. Far too much left to interpretation when you only get the transcript.

20 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Spot on.

14 minutes ago, Deuce said:

That Mitchell interview living rent free in KI’s head, damn. :lol: 

Howe’s earned the benefit of the doubt based on what he’s given to this club. Mitchell deserves a chance to do his job. And they both deserve a chance to work together.

Hallelujah. 

8 minutes ago, Deuce said:

It’s a shame it wasn’t a filmed interview. Far too much left to interpretation when you only get the transcript.

And through the local journalists rather than the club website too. Strange decision all-round.

39 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

He basically said no such thing, he said he was a step removed from negotiations.

Howe came out with that interview because Mitchell was brought in apparently with Eales not telling Howe.

Can we just blame Eales for everything, and hire a new CEO

The thread should never have been given the oxygen to live this long. I said it on the 1st page, this is RTG levels. They are threads for both Howe and Mitchell. Take it there. What's next? Gordon vs Barnes?

Mods should try and maintain the 'class and quality' of the forum that it has had all this while. I'm not against voicing out criticism and airing opinions. I'm just not liking RTG-like threads like this. Like I said already, we already have Howe and Mitchell threads. No need for a thread to be as specific asking to choose between the two.

Edited by nufcjb

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

What you’re saying doesn’t make any sense. Three outlets released their interpretation of the interview at essentially the same time - Douglas, Edwards, and Hope. The DM version, which was decidedly the most negative, was circulating the most on Twitter and Reddit from what I saw. The Athletic version came out the next day.

There was no way to react to the interview without reading the articles about it and the slant from each.

8 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I remember him saying that this was the least involved he had ever been in a transfer window.

*Might not have been during the interview you guys are talking about though.

Edited by Displayname

I think the whole media thing kicked off because Eddie gave that interview hinting that he might not stay if the changes at the club didn't allow him to work in the way that he was accustomed to. It needed the parties to get together again, and for Mitchell to give an interview reassuring the supporters that they were working together now. Yes of course the media stirred things up, but there's no point in denying that the relationship between Mitchell and Howe got off to a bad start.

The two men strike me as having different personalities, with Howe quite reserved and Mitchell more in your face. That doesn't mean that they can't work together, though it'll need some mutual adjustment.

If it doesn't work out in the end, then it's Mitchell who will have to go.

Edited by Cronky

5 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

What you’re saying doesn’t make any sense. Three outlets released their interpretation of the interview at essentially the same time - Douglas, Edwards, and Hope. The DM version, which was decidedly the most negative, was circulating the most on Twitter and Reddit from what I saw. The Athletic version came out the next day.

There was no way to react to the interview without reading the articles about it and the slant from each.

8 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Set up by Mitchell, quoted verbatim and not a hint of what he said being spun into a negative until Hope did his own piece on it.