Everton 0-0 Newcastle United (05/10/24)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Our press was excellent, we won the ball back countless times in their half. That was much improved. We transitioned out of defence and midfield into wide positions far quicken than we have done away from home all season and during last season. This meant we had more promising positions and weren’t just ponderously attacking against rows of players. Our movement was generally much improved as well with Gordon running in behind and other players getting in behind. I’ll happily agree that our final pass and finishing was abysmal 

We also lost possession cheaply a lot, the rest of what you mentioned should be expected of a side that is allowed to play with the ball. It’s really nothing of note.

We are by no means abysmal, but at the same time not good enough away to reasonably expect a top 6 finish which will disappoint most people on here. I tend not to focus on results or points, performances are what matter most and we just are not there right now.

We were ok , it just seemed like one of those nights. We look far better with the three of Joelinton, Tonali and Bruno . We had control of the game for large spells and just couldn't get the goal to make the difference. There won't be many games this season where we go away from home miss a penalty and a clear chance one on one that against other team you'd back Gordon  score it. We're getting better, an Isak or a Wilson or even a bloody Chris Wood and we win that. (Still can't have Murphy in the side mind)

I'm surprised people expected us to rock up at Goodison and roll them over like, we've hardly ever managed to do that down the years.

They notoriously turn up against the bigger teams at home - last season they beat us, Chelsea and Liverpool and drew with Arsenal, Villa and Spurs at home. They arguably have a better team this season than last. 

We managed what is always a tricky away fixture well. They literally didn't lay a glove on us, which is not usually how this fixture goes. With a forward we take three points. 

3 minutes ago, nufc4eva said:

Don't get the Tonali was poor stuff. Thought his movement, availability for the ball and moving it quickly was decent, still growing into it but covered the ground well as well.

Think he just let himself down with a few needlessly sloppy passes. Those aside he was decent.

Not having Wilson or Isak kills us up front as think they would have had a couple today. Another positive with most players fit we were mostly able to keep going full 90, not back to total pressing intensity best yet but signs were there. Hopefully get through to Jan in or around top 4/5 and sign a couple players.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Think he just let himself down with a few needlessly sloppy passes. Those aside he was decent.

True he did as did Trippier, Bruno against Fulham etc. Think a lot of good signs from him last few games and more to him than Longstaff has, more technically capable for starters

5 minutes ago, nufc4eva said:

Don't get the Tonali was poor stuff. Thought his movement, availability for the ball and moving it quickly was decent, still growing into it but covered the ground well as well.

Few misplaced passes, but thought he was pretty good. Refreshing to see how he always makes himself a passing option. Will do wonders for our midfield if he stays fit this season

Just now, Holloway said:

Surrendered the initiative for some reason after a half ending in dominance. The home team were very poor indeed,stinking out the place. Our lack of firepower a tad agitating to say the least

We have been shit against them away for years, last season's game was dreadful. Think they don't have much about them but defensively reasonably capable. Actually surprised they didn't score in last minute as was expecting it

1 minute ago, BergenMagpie said:

Few misplaced passes, but thought he was pretty good. Refreshing to see how he always makes himself a passing option. Will do wonders for our midfield if he stays fit this season

When Schar and Burn had ball he was always looking to step into space to be available and would shift a few yards away from Everton players to get that bit space

I thought Tonali was pretty decent. Clearly still finding legs and PL tempo for longer periods. 

Easy to forget that yes, he's been training with us while out, but his muscle memory will be Italian speed rather than ours. He never had a true adjustment period, he's pretty much just back into it now.

Just now, nufc4eva said:

We have been shit against them away for years, last season's game was dreadful. Think they don't have much about them but defensively reasonably capable. Actually surprised they didn't score in last minute as was expecting it

This time I wasn't worried about conceding at all, they offered nothing much up front. Nor did we,sadly 

10 minutes ago, nufc4eva said:

Not having Wilson or Isak kills us up front as think they would have had a couple today. Another positive with most players fit we were mostly able to keep going full 90, not back to total pressing intensity best yet but signs were there. Hopefully get through to Jan in or around top 4/5 and sign a couple players.

I'll be really impressed if Wilson manages to play in 10 games, this season. As good a player as he is, he just can't be relied on.

Sloppy today, gave the ball away cheaply at times. Could have still won it considering pen miss and Gordon blazing great chance over the bar. 

Long way short of our best, take the point, take positives (clean sheet, albeit against a poor team), get isak and Wilson back.. onwards and upwards. 

Edited by Bally21

That final minute passing between our back four before just hoofing it out of play would have made me pull my hair out, if I had any left.

Why are we so bad in injury time, like we don't realise the game is close to ending :lol:

3 minutes ago, Aiston said:

That final minute passing between our back four before just hoofing it out of play would have made me pull my hair out, if I had any left.

Why are we so bad in injury time, like we don't realise the game is close to ending :lol:

The wayward punt is obviously annoying, but delaying the ball forward in that scenario ensures that it's the last one of the game (i.e. you're not gonna have to defend a counter). 

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

67% possession, expected goals 1.73, including the penalty, 3 shots on target. 

Dyche will be delighted, we didn’t manage to disrupt their shape or have any sustained pressure in the final 3rd. 

Everton didn’t press, didn’t commit players forward and were reasonably comfortable. I’d have had Willock on earlier for Tonali & Barnes had to stay on, he’s the player who would have taken a chance.

Two points dropped, no doubt about it.

They did press occasionally, but with that CB pair you cannot press high against Gordon very easily. They played just long ball after long ball, and that is why we got so much possession. 

we score the penalty and it’s 0-2/3. We were lucky against Southampton, and unlucky here. 

Barnes was starting to be quite tired. 

We had goal line clearance, penalty and a breakaway. Should have won. 

Annoying not to take all the points from that game, however not bad as an away performance based on some of our others. Also no recognised striker starting doesn't help.

Or maybe I just put a positive spin on everything, I dunno but feel there was some good signs there that Eddie would've seen aswell. We had some nice patterns of passing at stages that we haven't really seen in a while, specifically that one where we passed it about at the back under pressure, until it came to Bruno in acres of space.

Stuff to work on no doubt, but good progress in some important areas of our game for me.

1 hour ago, BonesJones said:

Annoying not to take all the points from that game, however not bad as an away performance based on some of our others. Also no recognised striker starting doesn't help.

Or maybe I just put a positive spin on everything, I dunno but feel there was some good signs there that Eddie would've seen aswell. We had some nice patterns of passing at stages that we haven't really seen in a while, specifically that one where we passed it about at the back under pressure, until it came to Bruno in acres of space.

Stuff to work on no doubt, but good progress in some important areas of our game for me.

I said this during the game, the way we played out at times was really excellent, level-headed and calm.