Everton 0-0 Newcastle United (05/10/24)

Yorkie

Nobody was saying before the game that we'd have that much possession, that many shots, corners and control, thought it would be a shit tight game across the board personally, perfectly reasonable to describe it as decent

Edited by Wolfcastle

People saying it was a good performance, I’m not sure id agree. We played a team that want us to have the ball so we passed the eye test as far as looking like we were in control, but in reality we were allowed the ball and didn’t do a great deal with it. It’s always a tough place for us to go but our attacking phases of play are poor, we could be doing a lot more. Obviously limited in aspects with Gordon centrally but I’m not sure we look much better with Isak tonight.

A point away is alright though, but I cant help but feel even just a slightly better performance wins us that. 

Just now, andycap said:

The penalty should of been giving to schar or Barnes players not under severe pressure from the crowd. 

I don't think there's any way of doing that without it looking like Howe doesn't trust Gordon. He's always backup, he's scored his other penalties. Taking him off penalties for this would have sent the wrong message entirely. 

2 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I’m struggling with those who thought we played well. Everton sat back, allowed us time on the ball and we created very little.

We were far too slow with ball across the middle and just didn’t get at their back 4 who are dog awful.

Bruno and Tonali should be destroying an opposition like that.

We either created or had the opportunity to create plenty. The final pass or shot was the issue and personally that's not something I think is a huge concern in a single match.

I'd be far more concerned if:

1. I'd seen us have a few matches like that where we miss multiple one on ones, a pen, etc

Or

2. We weren't creating those opportunities in the first place 

Just now, Nine said:

People saying it was a good performance, I’m not sure id agree. We played a team that want us to have the ball so we passed the eye test as far as looking like we were in control, but in reality we were allowed the ball and didn’t do a great deal with it. It’s always a tough place for us to go but our attacking phases of play are poor, we could be doing a lot more. Obviously limited in aspects with Gordon centrally but I’m not sure we look much better with Isak tonight.

A point away is alright though, but I cant help but feel even just a slightly better performance wins us that. 

Isak scores at least two of the chances that Gordon snatched at

10 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

I don't understand this. We were poor in forward areas, the final ball being pathetic at times, but the midfield movement and playing out from the back was the best we've been this season.

We were far from really poor imo.

That is poor then, no use playing well up to the final third as that doesn't win you games. The transfer window is coming home to roost and whoever's decided to only concentrate and bid stupid on an average defender wants their arses kicked. The fact Murphy and Almiron are still consistently getting game time after three years is unreal s I said earlier

Just now, Andy said:

Isak scores at least two of the chances that Gordon snatched at

Probably, but that’s not my point. I meant that I don’t feel we perform much better with Isak in the team tonight, as the attacking phases of our play were just off it here. 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

We either created or had the opportunity to create plenty. The final pass or shot was the issue and personally that's not something I think is a huge concern in a single match.

I'd be far more concerned if:

1. I'd seen us have a few matches like that where we miss multiple one on ones, a pen, etc

Or

2. We weren't creating those opportunities in the first place 

It isn't a single match though it's been basically every game this season

6 minutes ago, Andy said:

I think what this game does highlight is that we're very poor at putting teams to the sword when we're in control of a game. 

We're over-reliant on a moment of magic to win us games when we're on top. It feels like almost all of our goals this season have come from either a "moment" or a sudden transition, rather than breaking through teams with clever patterns of play in and around the box. 

We should be incredibly easy to play against really, just overload the defence and counter attack against us. 

Completely agree. It's THE big challenge for Howe's development.

Just now, et tu brute said:

That is poor then, no use playing well up to the final third as that doesn't win you games. The transfer window is coming home to roost and whoever's decided to only concentrate and bid stupid on an average defender wants their arses kicked. The fact Murphy and Almiron are still consistently getting game time after three years is unreal s I said earlier

Sorry mate i disagree, poor up top doesn't make the whole performance poor. Agree on the transfer window, which we all hope will get corrected in January, hopefully.

8 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I’m struggling with those who thought we played well. Everton sat back, allowed us time on the ball and we created very little.

We were far too slow with ball across the middle and just didn’t get at their back 4 who are dog awful.

Bruno and Tonali should be destroying an opposition like that.

We created quite enough chances to score 2-3 goals

1 minute ago, Nine said:

Probably, but that’s not my point. I meant that I don’t feel we perform much better with Isak in the team tonight, as the attacking phases of our play were just off it here. 

To me the performance wasn't really the issue though, we had moments we were just extremely wasteful. Gordon should score his penalty and the 1 on 1 he had, convert either of those and the mood in here is entirely different as we win this game at a canter. 

3 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Nobody was saying before the game that we'd have that much possession, that many shots, corners and control, thought it would be a shit tight game across the board personally, perfectly reasonable to describe it as decent

We had some decent moments, and should have won. Also had several poor ones. It was very sloppy at times as we have seen before. Really not sure what to make of that game as it was very up and down.

Just now, et tu brute said:

It isn't a single match though it's been basically every game this season

Utter bollocks  :lol:

Tonight we did the opposite of what we've been doing. Until now we've been carving very little open, creating not that much, and getting through it with a breakaway, a worldie or a pen. Tonight we created plenty of openings and our final ball or shot let us down. 

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

I don't think there's any way of doing that without it looking like Howe doesn't trust Gordon. He's always backup, he's scored his other penalties. Taking him off penalties for this would have sent the wrong message entirely. 

I'm sure gordon would understand man he struggles against them especially at goodison. 

Just now, Andy said:

To me the performance wasn't really the issue though, we had moments we were just extremely wasteful. Gordon should score his penalty and the 1 on 1 he had, convert either of those and the mood in here is entirely different as we win this game at a canter. 

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree here, because I don’t feel that was a good performance. As I said, we were allowed a lot of the ball and never really put it together tonight. It’s not the end of the world and it was probably better than Wolves, but a better side would have killed us off tonight. 

Screenshot_20241005_195442_FotMob.thumb.jpg.d4702ffed2457401ccc580d3a09f8987.jpg

Suns it up for me. Loads of possession, virtually nothing coming back the other way but still can't score. Best chance was obviously via a penalty yet again, just like Wimbeldon, just like City. We're not creating enough in the final third

Wasn't a disaster today but it is 2 points dropped away from home and the same flaws are being shown up regularly now. We need to find a way to put dross like this away, Isak coming back will obviously help but we've struggled when he's led the line too. It's a structural thing and it's fixable but Howe needs to come up with something