Edgar

Guest JamesD

'It was a big thing just to be called in and I took my chance. It was unbelievable, playing in front of 52,000 Geordies is everything I dreamed of.

Good lad! 

Said Edgar 2 days before he signed for Chelsea...

tongue.gif

'It was a big thing just to be called in and I took my chance. It was unbelievable, playing in front of 52,000 Geordies is everything I dreamed of.

Good lad! 

Said Edgar 2 days before he signed for Chelsea...

tongue.gif

bluebigeek.gif

:thup: to the academy lads.

Well played today, all three of them :)

A point has to be made though, we're now in a very good position regarding our centerbacks. We have Taylor, Ramage, Huntington and Edgar, and all come from our academy! Although none of them are pacey, Taylor's anticipation and reading of the game has improved massively, which is good enough compensation and he reminds me of John Terry. He's been magnificent in the past 8 games imo. Ramage, on the other hand, still lacks that 'quality' about him that first-teamers seem to possess. He is decent and is a squad player, but hopefully that'll be all that he'll ever be. Huntington has impressed me most so far. His reading of the game is exceptional and even when he was playing on the right/left, he showed composure, which Ramage definitely lacks. Edgar.. wow :thup: Good game, was quite scared at the end when he nearly gave the ball away to Ronaldo but get in son, definitely one for the future now.

Considering the fact that the oldest is Ramage who is still 22/23, the other 3 being 19 or 20, we possibly have the 4 central defenders position locked up for 10 years (if the players can continue developing). Obviously a world class center-back would be welcomed but that'd be asking too much considering how these four defenders have now progressed into the first team squad. All we need now is two excellent fullbacks :thup:

I think Edgar had a really good game, he seems quite composed and fairly quick, and he times his tackles well. He gave the ball away cheaply once or twice but for a young lad playing his first game against such opposition this can be ignored. I quite like him I think.

The best thing about this is that we'll be able to get rid of the shite defenders on high wages without any worries of having suitable back up.

:thup: As much as I have stuck up for Bramble this does make the thought of being another centre back down a little easier to take.

Edgar's Treat Delights Magpies

By Gary Oliver

NEWCASTLE United manager Glenn Roeder said a dream had come true for home debutant David Edgar after the 19-year-old defender salvaged a dramatic point against Premiership leaders Manchester United at St. James' Park.

Edgar struck from 25 yards after 73 minutes to level the game at 2-2 and Roeder said afterwards: "Every person has a dream in their lives and it very rarely comes true.

"For David, and his father Eddie, who was here today, that is one of the few occasions where the dream has come true."

Roeder admitted Edgar would have been on the bench had former Manchester United star Nicky Butt, pencilled in to play at centre-half, not succumbed to knee and ankle injuries two hours before kick-off.

The Magpies boss added: "It's a strange game, football, with many twists and turns. You don't know what's around the corner. David would have been on the bench and Paul Huntington would have kept his position.

"The biggest surprise to us was when David arrowed that shot into the corner - he's kept that one from me for the past nine months!

"He's never got close enough to the other end to score - but it was very, very pleasing to see it in the back of the net."

Edgar, nominally a centre-back and playing out of position at left-back during Newcastle's injury jinx, was brought to Newcastle at the age of 13 by his Tyneside-born ex-goalkeeper father, who played once for United in 1976 and now runs a training school in Kitchener, Canada.

Roeder coached Edgar and fellow-centre-back Paul Huntington in his time as Academy Manager at Newcastle and added: "I know them inside out. I know their strengths and weaknesses. And I was concerned for Paul and for David that the ask was maybe too much too soon.

"Paul has now had seven games and done very, very well. David has now had two games and both of them have been a pleasant surprise to me. That's not me being negative, but very protective of young players."

Roeder also struck a note of caution when he warned: "We mustn't get carried away. It's just a start to their careers and it would be wrong to give them too much good publicity before they have completely earned it."

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~949701,00.html

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

i think now we should sell those fuckers Bramble,Babayaro,Carr and Moore,and keep those two as back-up,and bring some decent defenders..

btw u think mourinho will give us Bridge as a thank you gift? :D

Agree 100% to sell Shambles, Car and Luque. Don't dislike Moore and Baba as much but if we can get some better players i.e. Sol Campbell in i'd definately sell them too!

After Jan?

New Rb Moore Hunty Baba

Nobby Taylor Ramage Edgar/New LB

Really like the look of the lads who are coming through our system i.e. taylor, Ramage, Hunty and now Edgar and think they've shown enough to be given a real chance.

Cant believe you see Ramage as first team player potential! Enough has been said when it comes to Ramage, but I have never seen someone who actually sees him as a future first teamer!

Until last night it is fair to say the overwhelming majority of the population, possibly Sir Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho included, had not heard of David Edgar. They have now. Now they know not just who the 19 year-old is but what he can do. That entails an ability to support his attack from left-back, cut inside and from 25 yards use his right foot to shoot diagonally into the far corner. Edgar, not even in the 29 players listed on the back of the Newcastle United programme, has written his name into an increasingly beguiling title race.

It now moves on to Villa Park this evening, where Chelsea will begin seven points behind Manchester United. By 10pm it could be four and Mourinho might just express his gratitude to Edgar.

Born in Ontario, son of a former Newcastle goalkeeper, Eddie Edgar, David has been brought through the Newcastle academy and is rated highly. But he was only playing due to an injury crisis at St James' Park that is threatening to become a plague. Edgar had been drafted in at Bolton on Boxing Day and played right-back. That was his debut. Last night, in his first home game, he was at left-back. He is a centre-half by vocation.

But when James Milner, himself the scorer of an equally striking goal, ran into a dead-end on 74 minutes, he turned back and slipped the ball to Edgar. The teenager had been handed the daunting task of marking Cristiano Ronaldo and had been impressive in his diligence, particularly in the first half.

And when he accepted Milner's pass, Edgar strode forward nerveless, swerved inside into open space and drilled a shot across the penalty area. Paul Scholes, who had earlier provided an equaliser to Milner's opener and then put the visitors in front 23 seconds after half-time, got another significant touch. It was deft but it was enough to take the ball inside Edwin van der Sar's left-hand post.

It was already going to be a night to remember for Edgar; now it is one that he will never forget. Mourinho may have burst into the Blaydon Races but Ferguson was sanguine rather than angry.

Though the second half saw fewer chances - Ronaldo's header was nodded away by Solano and Park failed from seven yards - in terms of noise Edgar's variation raised the roof, and the stakes.

Man of the match: David Edgar (Newcastle)

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match_Report/0,,1981161,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=5

Even reading that gave me goosebumps.  So happy for the lad.  Roeder made the quote after of;

""Every person has a dream in their lives and it very rarely comes true. For David, and his father Eddie, who was here today, that is one of the few occasions where the dream has come true.""

And you could tell it had by his reaction :thup:

Until last night it is fair to say the overwhelming majority of the population, possibly Sir Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho included, had not heard of David Edgar. They have now. Now they know not just who the 19 year-old is but what he can do. That entails an ability to support his attack from left-back, cut inside and from 25 yards use his right foot to shoot diagonally into the far corner. Edgar, not even in the 29 players listed on the back of the Newcastle United programme, has written his name into an increasingly beguiling title race.

It now moves on to Villa Park this evening, where Chelsea will begin seven points behind Manchester United. By 10pm it could be four and Mourinho might just express his gratitude to Edgar.

Born in Ontario, son of a former Newcastle goalkeeper, Eddie Edgar, David has been brought through the Newcastle academy and is rated highly. But he was only playing due to an injury crisis at St James' Park that is threatening to become a plague. Edgar had been drafted in at Bolton on Boxing Day and played right-back. That was his debut. Last night, in his first home game, he was at left-back. He is a centre-half by vocation.

But when James Milner, himself the scorer of an equally striking goal, ran into a dead-end on 74 minutes, he turned back and slipped the ball to Edgar. The teenager had been handed the daunting task of marking Cristiano Ronaldo and had been impressive in his diligence, particularly in the first half.

And when he accepted Milner's pass, Edgar strode forward nerveless, swerved inside into open space and drilled a shot across the penalty area. Paul Scholes, who had earlier provided an equaliser to Milner's opener and then put the visitors in front 23 seconds after half-time, got another significant touch. It was deft but it was enough to take the ball inside Edwin van der Sar's left-hand post.

It was already going to be a night to remember for Edgar; now it is one that he will never forget. Mourinho may have burst into the Blaydon Races but Ferguson was sanguine rather than angry.

Though the second half saw fewer chances - Ronaldo's header was nodded away by Solano and Park failed from seven yards - in terms of noise Edgar's variation raised the roof, and the stakes.

Man of the match: David Edgar (Newcastle)

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match_Report/0,,1981161,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=5

Even reading that gave me goosebumps.  So happy for the lad.  Roeder made the quote after of;

""Every person has a dream in their lives and it very rarely comes true. For David, and his father Eddie, who was here today, that is one of the few occasions where the dream has come true.""

And you could tell it had by his reaction :thup:

I couldn't imagine a better scenario.  Kind words from Roeder.

Played well, future looks good. Thought Huntington was excellent aswell, you would never have thought we had a 21 year old and 2 teenages in the backline based on that performance.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Played well, future looks good. Thought Huntington was excellent aswell, you would never have thought we had a 21 year old and 2 teenages in the backline based on that performance.

Really? We got fucking ripped apart mate

Well we didn't did we?

Man Utd had a couple of good chances, but we had just as many tbh. Not saying our defensive performance was faultless, just that if you didn't know anything about the defenders, you wouldn't have thought it included 2 teenagers, 1 making his home debut against the best winger in the world, and the other one playing in central defence for the first time.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Well we didn't did we?

Man Utd had a couple of good chances, but we had just as many tbh. Not saying our defensive performance was faultless, just that if you didn't know anything about the defenders, you wouldn't have thought it included 2 teenagers, 1 making his home debut against the best winger in the world, and the other one playing in central defence for the first time.

We could have scored more than we did, but Manure could have scored A LOT more than they did. Also the defending for their goals was frankly amateurish. At least Ramage wasn't there, to call his standard schoolboy defending is unfair to kids.

Guest FlapjackJoe

I think Huntington and Edgar should go for a season-long loan to a Championship team next season, will do them the world of good.

It's great to see the academy finally starting to pay dividends - after 10 years where it only produced Aaron Hughes and Shola Ameobi, it's churning out promising youngsters by the bucket-load now.

Now, if only we can get anything other than central defenders to come through the academy...  :roll:

I think Huntington and Edgar should go for a season-long loan to a Championship team next season, will do them the world of good.

It's great to see the academy finally starting to pay dividends - after 10 years where it only produced Aaron Hughes and Shola Ameobi, it's churning out promising youngsters by the bucket-load now.

Now, if only we can get anything other than central defenders to come through the academy...  :roll:

just cos they've played 7 or so games between them does not yet mean we have "churned out" good enough yet