Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Guest bimpy474

The impending 2-3 months of weekends without football.

I'm with everyone else, looking forward to it. A chance to take the kids out and walk Mrs Bimpy.

Guest firetotheworks

I honestly can't wait for the football to end. I think I'd like a full year off tbh. I'd probably end up being successful at something without football/N-O

I honestly can't wait for the football to end. I think I'd like a full year off tbh. I'd probably end up being successful at something without football/N-O

Haha I sometimes think that. How much better I could be at other stuff if I didn't waste half my life following Newcastle :)

Since Jimmy Scoular lifted the FA Cup in 1955, no fewer than THIRTY-THREE English and Welsh clubs have enjoyed major domestic cup success ahead of us, including these footballing backwaters: Coventry, Southampton, Norwich, Ipswich, Luton, Oxford, Swindon, Swansea, Stoke, Wolves, Leicester, Birmingham, Blackburn, 'Boro, Wimbledon, QPR, Portsmouth, Wigan and of course the mackems.

You could also add Burnley and Derby - who have won the League title since our 1927 triumph - to the following list of domestic cup winners since 1955:

15 Liverpool (8LC, 7FA)

13 Man Utd (4LC, 9FA)

11 Chelsea (4LC, 7FA)

10 Tottenham (4LC, 6FA)

9 Arsenal (2LC, 7FA)

6 Aston Villa (5LC, 1FA)

5 Nottm For (4LC, 1FA)

5 Man City (2LC, 3FA)

3 Leicester (3LC)

3 Wolves (2LC, 1FA)

3 West Ham (3FA)

3 Everton (3FA)

2 Birmingham (2LC)

2 Norwich (2LC)

2 WBA (1LC, 1FA)

2 Leeds (1LC, 1FA)

1 QPR (1LC)

1 Swindon (1LC)

1 Stoke (1LC)

1 Oxford (1LC)

1 Luton (1LC)

1 Sheff Wed (1LC)

1 Blackburn (1LC)

1 Middlesbrough (1LC)

1 Swansea (1LC)

1 Bolton (1FA)

1 mackems (1FA)

1 Southampton (1FA)

1 Ipswich (1FA)

1 Coventry (1FA)

1 Wimbledon (1FA)

1 Portsmouth (1FA)

1 Wigan Athletic (1FA)

There are two other current Premier League sides not to have lifted the League Cup or FA Cup since our last success; Reading and Fulham.

Not really a pet hate but :anguish:

Saw that earlier. Fucking disgraceful.

How did Keegan's team not manage to even get as far as a semi final man?

Not even close, ridiculous ain't it. Gerald Ashby-gate was probably as close as we got and we were well beaten that night IIRC.

Thankfully after the Sporting/AZ debacles of years ago I've already resigned myself to us never winning owt.

Absolutely typical that we've played in several semis/finals and not a single one of them was when we were any good.

Closest we got was Robson's semi against Marseille and that had been a shit season despite finishing fifth (sound familiar?).

Saw that earlier. f***ing disgraceful.

We've only done well in the cup with s*** teams. We have two years in the top 2 with class teams and get nowhere (96 and 97), then we have 2 finals with s*** teams (98 and 99!) (against double and treble winning teams no less).

Never got near with Bobby apart form his first season when he'd not built yet, then his first season gone and we're in the semi with Souness!

Guest firetotheworks

The closest felt like vs Chelsea in the semi final for me.

Then Lisbon. Oh god, Lisbon.

We've only done well in the cup with s*** teams. We have two years in the top 2 with class teams and get nowhere (96 and 97), then we have 2 finals with s*** teams (98 and 99!) (against double and treble winning teams no less).

Never got near with Bobby apart form his first season when he'd not built yet, then his first season gone and we're in the semi with Souness!

What about the period after that!? Let's dissect that period!

Yep, the Chelsea game felt way closer to me than the two actual finals. Never felt we had a chance. But though midtable, there was a Bobby belief around the time of the Chelsea semi, and we shouldve won that game, then we'd have been expected to beat Villa. But we did have luck in the previous year's semi v spurs.

I console myself with - we may have fucked up in the final against Villa, which Id never have recovered from and, this is really scraping the barrel, but I'd be a bit annoyed that the FA Cup we won was the * one where ManU didnt participate.

What about the period after that!? Let's dissect that period!

Can't say fairer than 2 times past the 4th round in either competition in getting on 10 years. :thup: :anguish:

Guest firetotheworks

Yep, the Chelsea game felt way closer to me than the two actual finals. Never felt we had a chance. But though midtable, there was a Bobby belief around the time of the Chelsea semi, and we shouldve won that game, then we'd have been expected to beat Villa. But we did have luck in the previous year's semi v spurs.

I console myself with - we may have f***ed up in the final against Villa, which Id never have recovered from and, this is really scraping the barrel, but I'd be a bit annoyed that the FA Cup we won was the * one where ManU didnt participate.

I console myself with their goal coming from a rolling ball for a free kick. Try it on for size, it fits.

Same.

I was at a foundation event a couple of months back and I asked Rob Lee what felt closer, 96 or that semi and he thought they were very comparable.

Same.

I was at a foundation event a couple of months back and I asked Rob Lee what felt closer, 96 or that semi and he thought they were very comparable.

http://i39.tinypic.com/33o4i6p.png

Guest palnese

The impending 2-3 months of weekends without football.

I honestly can't wait for it to be over.