Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

11 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

How can you hate someone's name? :lol:

Well it’s just an indicator to know that you’re going to hate someone before even meeting them.

If someone was from Kent and called Toby Farquhar-Spencer I’d immediately know he was a Tory bellend who’s a toff arsehole who’s lawyer father-in-law will get him off his drink driving charge. He’s probably also drank someone else’s piss as part of a rugby initiation challenge and plays tennis at David Lloyds during his chill time. 

• 4 weeks later...

Niche one that I’m having trouble articulating, but when a journo quotes the subject by leading with a question to place the quote into context:

IMG_6355.thumb.jpeg.5e2fc8d66946231a07a5b9da081bdde4.jpeg

IMG_6356.thumb.jpeg.2115716bcd1a0dcfd0b0921572374922.jpeg

I’m pretty sure Howe was asked about Neves and gave that response, and didn’t actually lead by asking the clarifying question, “Ruben Neves?” It’s an insane way of speaking. :lol: Romano’s not the only one I’ve seen do this, but he’s a culprit.

Edited by Deuce

26 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

"German efficiency" 

I've never found the Germans to be efficient. They smash teams to bits. If there was ever a team that was "efficient", it's the Spanish. 

The term was from when the German were efficient and the Spanish probably the most flakiest of national teams to be fair… Going back to the 1960’s.

13 minutes ago, LFEE said:

The term was from when the German were efficient and the Spanish probably the most flakiest of national teams to be fair… Going back to the 1960’s.

Pretty sure the term is from way before the 1960s and has nothing to do with football originally

Just think it's a lazy narrative. Was at my non football watching cousin's house during the 1-4 2010 World Cup game and he goes "oh, those efficient Germans" and I was thinking "they're absolutely tearing us apart IN STYLE" Nothing efficient about it. Efficient is the Spanish one nilling their way to the WC final that year recycling the ball around the half way line. 

On 17/10/2023 at 12:54, Stal said:

Has anyone done double barreled names as a pet hate yet? I'm not a fan to begin with but for some reason it's worse for footballers. I don't mind the odd one occasionally but it seems like it's every fourth player we are linked with has a double barreler. Bring back the good old days of Chris Bart WIlliams and then no more until Shaun Wright Phillips appeared. Proper petty rage of mine.

Aye, my mate hated Gary Taylor-Fletcher purely because of his "stupid name" 

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Pretty sure the term is from way before the 1960s and has nothing to do with football originally

This is “Football” pet hates though so was making I thought a safe assumption when being used in relation to German football teams ?‍♂️ 

• 3 weeks later...

When managers/pundits/fans say they need to “get back to basics”. What does that even mean?

Players need to pass and move? Shout man on when their teammate had the ball? Make sure they're marking their opponent goalside? Make sure they're playing to the whistle? Make sure they pass to feet?

• 2 weeks later...