Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

31 minutes ago, Heron said:

Stats.

Pointless. Stats.

4minutes into the game between Man United and Arsenal a stat of 88% of the fislrs half had been played in Man Uniteds first third. 4minutes in. What the actual fuck is that all about.

At half time "Arsenal have never led at Old Trafford at half time in the Premier League and twice when they took the lead in the Premier League they didn't win.

So fucking what man. It holds absolutely 0 bearing on today's game you whoppers.

Gambling culture   

Someone hears that and thinks ”I’ll nip onto Sky Vegas and have a tenner on Arsenal to be in the lead at half time but not win the game” 

1 minute ago, bobbydazzla said:

Gambling culture   

Someone hears that and thinks ”I’ll nip onto Sky Vegas and have a tenner on Arsenal to be in the lead at half time but not win the game” 

Possibly but it's absolutely irrelevant still. :lol:

Got to love the historic records too, Newcastle are 7-4 against the West Shropshire Roveringtons, having last played them in the old second division back in 1958.

Or like, Newcastle hasn't beaten the Roveringtons in almost 50 years (they've been in different leagues for 49 of those years).

Fucking great.

Posted (edited)

Exactly. It's just like needless sensationalism.

I think it was John Gwynn who used to commentate on radio 5 live and he could honestly make beanals on toast sound like a 5 star meal. He was absolutely class. Then you hear these muppets on here.

Edited by Heron

Posted (edited)

Normally I just mute the telly and listen to tunes but is it Amazon who let you listen without commentary

Cos I’m bang into it when they do

I swear down I find Clive Tyldesley more unbearable than any other sound in the world. He’s aural Ebola. 

Edited by bobbydazzla

22 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

xG is the worst

Needs to be fired into the sun 

Nah, the people who make it part of their personality to not like it and deliberately misrepresent what it's useful for are the worst. Pure bore-fests.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Nah, the people who make it part of their personality to not like it and deliberately misrepresent what it's useful for are the worst. Pure bore-fests.

xG = we’re creating decent chances but not scoring goals

Which has been a standard football observation and discussion throughout the entire history of the game

But now it’s been rebranded xG for the stat nerds to wank themselves daft over 

Just now, bobbydazzla said:

xG = we’re creating decent chances but not scoring goals

Which has been a standard football observation and discussion throughout the entire history of the game

But now it’s been rebranded xG for the stat nerds to wank themselves daft over 

As I say, people misrepresent or misunderstand why it's useful, as you've done here. 

Rival fans pissing on another team's chips whenever they do anything remotely successful. Particularly when it is a non 'big six' team. 

E.g. Villa on verge of qualifying for champions league and all the noise is about how unsustainable it is.

Perhaps, but they deserve it, much like we did last season.

If you can't enjoy the relative good times in football then what's the point? 

2 hours ago, Beren said:

"Cry more"

"Mid"

Visited my friend a few weeks ago, his girlfriend's little brother is a City fan (because of course). Did get a good chuckle out of the interaction -

Him: *points at my phone* Who's that?

Me: Bruno G, he's class

Him: Bruno G is mid.

Me: Righto. *Google's original Ronaldo* what about him?

Him: He's mid.

Me: Do you know who that is?

Him: No, but he's mid.

Funny guy tbf :lol:

On 17/10/2023 at 12:54, Stal said:

Has anyone done double barreled names as a pet hate yet? I'm not a fan to begin with but for some reason it's worse for footballers. I don't mind the odd one occasionally but it seems like it's every fourth player we are linked with has a double barreler. Bring back the good old days of Chris Bart WIlliams and then no more until Shaun Wright Phillips appeared. Proper petty rage of mine.

I'm looking forward to the 2040s when Ward-Prowse-Dewsbury-Hall dribbles past Walker-Peters-Loftus-Cheek.

Hopefully I'll be dead before the 2060s when Calvert-Lewin-Gibbs-White-Ward-Prowse-Dewsbury-Hall puts a penalty past Alexander-Arnold-Oxlade-Chamberlain-Walker-Peters-Loftus-Cheek.

On 22/12/2023 at 21:42, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Players and managers putting their hands over their mouths when talking.

Have there ever been any high profile consequences from on pitch conversions being lip read?

On 14/05/2024 at 09:43, Boey_Jarton said:

Rival fans pissing on another team's chips whenever they do anything remotely successful. Particularly when it is a non 'big six' team. 

E.g. Villa on verge of qualifying for champions league and all the noise is about how unsustainable it is.

Perhaps, but they deserve it, much like we did last season.

If you can't enjoy the relative good times in football then what's the point? 

Isn’t it part of our job to piss on other teams’ chips? We’re not supposed to let them enjoy good times :lol:

15 hours ago, OhSholaAmeobi said:

The term 'no brainer' regarding signings etc.

Just that term in general really

Said it before, but that and “we should be all over that”.

Posted (edited)

A potential incoming transfer being a 'good pick up'.

Fills me with hatred and makes me wish awful ills upon whoever says it.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

Isn’t it part of our job to piss on other teams’ chips? We’re not supposed to let them enjoy good times :lol:

If they're fresh chips, like Villa's this year, I don't think they should be begrudged enjoying them for a bit. It's only when the chips have been around for a little while and gone stale that they need pissing on IMO.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, 80 said:

Have there ever been any high profile consequences from on pitch conversions being lip read?

When Beckham was leaving Man Utd for Real Madrid he got lipread saying “I’ve had talks” or something similar to G Neville at the end of an end of season match 

Edited by bobbydazzla

On 17/05/2024 at 22:54, 80 said:

I'm looking forward to the 2040s when Ward-Prowse-Dewsbury-Hall dribbles past Walker-Peters-Loftus-Cheek.

Hopefully I'll be dead before the 2060s when Calvert-Lewin-Gibbs-White-Ward-Prowse-Dewsbury-Hall puts a penalty past Alexander-Arnold-Oxlade-Chamberlain-Walker-Peters-Loftus-Cheek.

They'll have to do what they do in Brazil and just pick the coolest sounding name you have out of the 17

On 22/12/2023 at 21:42, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Players and managers putting their hands over their mouths when talking.

It's when you see 10yr olds doing it when they're playing that it really gets absurd.