Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

10 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

Home teams putting their away fans right behind a goal. It’s way too close and looks ridiculous seeing them either cheer an away goal or stay quiet when the home team scores. Stuffing them right at the top is one thing Newcastle have always got right. 

Strongly disagree, it really helps atmosphere and - frankly - it’s fairer. Speaking as an away fan, being up in the clouds at Newcastle sucks. And in fact it’s against the rules, but Newcastle get an exemption afforded to nobody else because the local authority couldn’t find a way to make it work that didn’t compromise spectator safety.

Man U initially had the same exemption temporarily but fixed the issue.

5 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Strongly disagree, it really helps atmosphere and - frankly - it’s fairer. Speaking as an away fan, being up in the clouds at Newcastle sucks. And in fact it’s against the rules, but Newcastle get an exemption afforded to nobody else because the local authority couldn’t find a way to make it work that didn’t compromise spectator safety.

Ah fair, actually didn’t know that. That was kind of tongue in cheek about Newcastle but I prefer it in the corner - just think it’s better if your home fans are directly behind both goals. 

7 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

Ah fair, actually didn’t know that. That was kind of tongue in cheek about Newcastle but I prefer it in the corner - just think it’s better if your home fans are directly behind both goals. 

Yeah it’s a bit of a pet hate of mine tbh :lol:. I think it’s definitely better for the home team if they are directly behind both goals, which is one reason why being in the rafters at St James’ Park is annoying.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/09/2023 at 08:03, leffe186 said:

Yes, agree. Selfishly I like it at SJP as I find it's fairly easy to ignore the away fans up there if we're having a bad day. Would hate having the players celebrate with the away fans like we often do away. As an away fan it'd be shit. Sunderland away was significantly impacted as an experience when they moved us up a height.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/09/2023 at 16:03, leffe186 said:

Late to this, but are there really rules around away fan positioning?

We used to give them the whole lower North Stand (ie opposite the Holte end, full width of pitch behind the goal) until Martin O'Neill made them move it to the location they are now (the only piece of long term thinking he ever engaged in with us).

One of my pet hates is the way broadcasters consider we are all, in fact, total fucking idiots.

So, a few years ago, they're desperate to establish Robbie Savage as 'a character' the average person who likes football will like, despite 99% of supporters thinking he's an absolute insufferable bell-end.

How many people watch matches and listen to his chuntering and think "Yeah, he's a real addition to the quality of the broadcast", cunting on about god knows what? Yet the BBC force-fed us him for years.

The latest is Micah Richards. Now, I think he's a total bell-end already, on the basis of his time with us as a player, but his need to be a constant source of 'bantz' with that stupid fucking laugh, it's so annoying.

I tried listening to that Rest is Football podcast (as I like the History and Politics ones from the same stable) and it's literally seconds until he bursts out laughing, like the big witless goon he is.

He's not a national treasure, he's a twat, so stop inflicting him on us.

Edited by brummie

39 minutes ago, brummie said:

Late to this, but are there really rules around away fan positioning?

We used to give them the whole lower North Stand (ie opposite the Holte end, full width of pitch behind the goal) until Martin O'Neill made them move it to the location they are now (the only piece of long term thinking he ever engaged in with us).

Yeah - this isn’t the best article but it was the first I Googled:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-clubs-agree-changes-9231473.amp

I hated the away fans’ position at St James’ Park since we got moved to the rafters.

1 minute ago, leffe186 said:

Yeah - this isn’t the best article but it was the first I Googled:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-clubs-agree-changes-9231473.amp

I hated the away fans’ position at St James’ Park since we got moved to the rafters.

Ah, I see looking at the description of the changes needed at the various grounds in that article, Villa and Newcastle were both, ahem, excused for some reason I can't recall.

4 minutes ago, brummie said:

Ah, I see looking at the description of the changes needed at the various grounds in that article, Villa and Newcastle were both, ahem, excused for some reason I can't recall.

I thought Man U were excluded temporarily (they made the changes eventually) but only Newcastle were given a permanent exemption because the local authority said they couldn’t think of a way to ensure spectator safety?

24 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

I thought Man U were excluded temporarily (they made the changes eventually) but only Newcastle were given a permanent exemption because the local authority said they couldn’t think of a way to ensure spectator safety?

It was a joke about us not being in the PL at the time of the article.

2 hours ago, KDT said:

Pundits/Media crowning teams 6 games into a 38 game league season, take Spurs for example.

I mean, we had pundits saying a combined XI was all Arsenal players before the game. Merse said we’d be bottom half without Kane, then said Arsenal would destroy us.

It’s all hyperbole. Build them up, knock them down.