St James' Park

Delima

1 minute ago, timeEd32 said:

If the plans include any significant changes to the Leazes End, I wonder if the PL will force away fans to be moved to the lower tier?

Surprised they haven't already tbh. We proved back in 2010 that we could safely accommodate away fans in the Leazes West Corner in levels 2 and 4 when we allowed 3,300 Arsenal fans to go there for a League Cup match. I think they spilled into the Leazes central section a bit but we don't have to give away teams quite as many tickets for standard league games.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Create a level 8 above where they are and stick them there, give us 3,000 more season tickets where they currently are. 

You already get special dispensation. Don’t be a dick :lol:

1 minute ago, timeEd32 said:

If the plans include any significant changes to the Leazes End, I wonder if the PL will force away fans to be moved to the lower tier?

It isn’t really the PL’s decision.

All depends on whether the local SAG decide whether any structural changes that get made subsequently make it ‘safe’ for away fans to located lower down.

11 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

What's with the attitude like? Someone had posted a concept and I've commented that or would be disappointing if we couldn't touch the East Stand as that would stop it being an elite level stadium in my opinion.

I wonder if they can do summit with the east stand like 

seems mad to turn down the other ideas without it being quite a huge change

Assuming Edwards has been briefed here this does not say 'just stick a new section on the back of the Gallowgate' to me...

with architects offering a range of options to dramatically increase the capacity to more than 60,000, as well as modernise facilities inside the stadium.

described as one of the most ambitious stadium rebuilds seen in this country

The idea now is to create a large, modern, multi-purpose venue that, as well as giving the football club one of the most spectacular and innovative stadiums in the country to play in, can also be used to host concerts and other sporting events.

I wonder if the aim is to do a complete Gallowgate/East Stand rebuild first, host the Euros, then eventually do a re-build of the Milburn and Leazes to form one cohesive design. 

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

Based on that description, it sounds like it could be a rebuild job potentially. 

I had wondered that actually, especially if they're talking about changing the facilities within the stadium. Presumably a phased rebuild, renovating/rebuilding one stand at a time?

49 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

East stand still looks shit and out of place.

Agree tbh. I just don't think there's any way we can get the stadium we need without moving given the building restrictions in surrounding areas.  While it's been fantastic having the ground smack bang in the city centre for so long, if it's going to stop us building a stadium which will be able to match the cartel clubs income wise, then I'd rather move.

16 minutes ago, tgarve said:

I wonder if they can do summit with the east stand like 

seems mad to turn down the other ideas without it being quite a huge change

There was talk that it could maybe be made steeper or maybe even cantilevered but that's all it was really. Will be a shame if they can't do anything at all with the East Stand but if they can't, and anyone wants to see what it'll look like on completion of the Gallowgate, look at Celtic Park as it'll be pretty similar in design and capacity.

Also if they simply stuck a Level 7 onto the Gallowgate West Corner and Gallowgate Upper that would only add 6,500 seats. To get to 8,000 they'd have to create a Gallowgate Level 4 West Corner, like they did in the Leazes in 2000 (those seats directly below the TV studios) which would add another 1,500 and take capacity to a fraction over 60,000.

However, currently the Gallowgate West Corner houses quite a bit of hospitality and I can't see them taking that out and replacing them with standard seats so I'd assume they'd have to rip out all the current hospitality suites in that area and place them on the same level as the TV studios are on in the Leazes.

Either way (total rebuild or full refurb) it's good news. I'll wait to see the actual plans before commenting on any issues. I do, however, agree that the East Stand will need some serious redesign to fit in with any development of SJP. I'm sure it's going to be addressed though so let's see what any announced plans contain.

40 minutes ago, 54 said:

Based on that description, it sounds like it could be a rebuild job potentially. 

Yep, I wouldn't say adding 8k would count as a dramatic increase, do maybe it's bigger than that. 

2 minutes ago, TBG said:

Any confirmation that there will be music played after we score goals and opportunity to take part in quizzes? 

I've heard we are getting a Mariachi band to play DJ Sash tunes when we score. 

1 minute ago, frankpingel said:

Either way (total rebuild or full refurb) it's good news. I'll wait to see the actual plans before commenting on any issues. I do, however, agree that the East Stand will need some serious redesign to fit in with any development of SJP. I'm sure it's going to be addressed though so let's see what any announced plans contain.

You're right it is good news.

The way I see it is that will it be good if we can fit another 8,000 fans into SJP? Yes of course it is.

Secondly, would a mere Level 7 extension to the Gallowgate feel a bit underwhelming after all the speculation and different stadium mock ups we've been looking at these past 2 years? The answer to that would also be yes though.

Seeing the Milburn and Leazes Stand towering above the city from the Hilton was fucking incredible last weekend; if the Gallowgate is increased to match height that would be pretty amazing. 

Just want the new capacity to allow more of our fans into the stadium; so keep it there or move it - I hate seeing our own not be able to get into to watch us live, particularly with the 3p blackout rules that fuck it up if you don't have a dodgy way to watch.