St James' Park

Delima

Would I not make sense for the likes of Springsteen to come in via the Tyne on something like the bonga we saw come up the Tyne all them years ago? That way he could unload all his shit on the quayside? Do it at 3am as well 

32 minutes ago, Stifler said:

For what it’s worth, the approach to Redheugh bridge has a height limit, you have to come down the slip road, then back on again. You also can’t use the bridge on windy days.

In saying this, it’s just as easy to go up to either Scotswood Road, or Stamfordham Road and in.

Aye that's true but as you say plenty other options as well. Sky/Setanta/BT have been hauling trucks into SJP regularly for over 30 years now without incident.

7 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Aye that's true but as you say plenty other options as well. Sky/Setanta/BT have been hauling trucks into SJP regularly for over 30 years now without incident.

The bit that makes sense to me is getting the stuff from outside the stadium to inside bit, I wonder if other stadia have the trucks drive right in ? And even then it hardly seems an Insurmountable problem.

Edited by madras

Felt sorry for the lasses last night mind. I was in level 7 and the queue for them to go to the toilet must have been 40 deep, which resulted in them having to go into the blokes and cause a huge queue in there for the cubicles. Not ideal for the toot sniffers either. :lol:

8 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Felt sorry for the lasses last night mind. I was in level 7 and the queue for them to go to the toilet must have been 40 deep, which resulted in them having to go into the blokes and cause a huge queue in there for the cubicles. Not ideal for the toot sniffers either. :lol:

Yeah, absolutely. I had to join the queue at one point because you couldn't physically get into the men's. The ground seems massively unsuited for big gigs for that reason alone, tbh. Not surprised to hear there were folks literally pissing themselves; you just couldn't physically get in at one point. 

Sensational in the ground itself, mind; surely not a bad seat in the house and with everything just looming over the stage it gave it a sense of intimacy despite the scale. Bet it was unreal from Sam's pov.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah, absolutely. I had to join the queue at one point because you couldn't physically get into the men's. The ground seems massively unsuited for big gigs for that reason alone, tbh. Not surprised to hear there were folks literally pissing themselves; you just couldn't physically get in at one point. 

Sensational in the ground itself, mind; surely not a bad seat in the house and with everything just looming over the stage it gave it a sense of intimacy despite the scale. Bet it was unreal from Sam's pov.

Aye, I was a bit gutted I could only get level 7 but it didn’t spoil the experience, it was absolutely class. Queues for the bar weren’t bad at all in fairness. 

On the subject of classic truck routes across Newcastle. My favourite is to come through Byker on the 193, skirting the Byker Wall down past the KFC. Then fly over the Ouseburn while you try to catch a glimpse of a metty on the bridge. Push on down to Manors station while you mourn the loss of the old Warner Bros cinema. Then it's briefly onto the central motorway for seconds before coming back off at the Swan House to marvel at the brutalist architecture. Take it steady down Mosely street and up towards the Cathedral. You'll need to split the lanes to get round the lights opposite the Subway. Right In front of you is the High Level bridge, you can't go over that! you will have to turn right but the council has put cycle lanes in there the bastards, you will never get round, but you do. Then crack on along Neville Street past the gorgeous Central Station and down to the set of lights. Be sure to wave at the happy folk in the Powerhouse before you turn right up the Boulevard toward SJP.

If I could haul my Marshall JCM800 combo (which weighed a ton), over the road and up about six flights of stairs to play gigs at the Cooperage, then Springsteen can hump a few boxes into St James'.

:coolsmiley:

2 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Are they setting up audiovisual production equipment for 50,000 people, on the pitch?

2 hours ago, madras said:

The bit that makes sense to me is getting the stuff from outside the stadium to inside bit, I wonder if other stadia have the trucks drive right in ? And even then it hardly seems an Insurmountable problem.

No-one has said it’s an insurmountable problem man, that would be mental considering what happened over the weekend. It’s just a pain in the arse to set up and significantly worse than other similar venues. What’s wrong with you people? [emoji38]

Edited by Dr Venkman

4 hours ago, jack j said:

How is Winchester mag thesedays. Assume still traumatised after the whole toonlass shambles travel carry on

I haven't seen him for ages, but he turned into a bit of an anti-vax nutter, sadly.

23 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

No-one has said it’s an insurmountable problem man, that would be mental considering what happened over the weekend. It’s just a pain in the arse to set up and significantly worse than other similar venues. What’s wrong with you people? [emoji38]

Bone idleness is no excuse

Venues that regularly host concerts regularly host them for a reason. It is built into the design to allow for set up. Trucks are able to drive straight into the right location to unload the enormous amounts of equipment and set up easily. In somewhere like the O2 that regularly hosts concerts there will already be rigging locations etc for the audio equipment that matches the acoustics of the venue. Even a football stadium like Wembley was built to be able to host concerts semi-regularly from the outset.

It doesn't take much perception if you were at either night to realise what a fuck on it is to set up that kind of show at SJP. Bringing all the equipment in without direct access to the only corner you can set up in, setting up the speaker equipment hanging from the Leazes Stand to deliver the sound to the whole stadium etc.

And ultimately SJP can basically only do this once a year in a very narrow window before the pitch is relayed. Concert venues make money because of the economies of scale of being able to host them regularly. It's obviously possible at SJP (duh) but I wouldn't be surprised if you basically need to have two sold out nights in a row like this to reach the margins to justify it (or put ticket prices up). This Fender gig has been a great promotion both for him and the club, there's clearly been massive mutual benefits, but doing it regularly for ordinary concerts I'm not sure.

13 minutes ago, RS said:

image.jpeg.7ffcbfc6efc17a17246c30a17efff8bf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5f5aeea9f7f6d9f5e3255418ddc520bd.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.fc7ff80ee281fe06d8ddf265d1ac7f82.jpeg

we never had a problem getting some of the biggest bands in the worlds stage gear in place in the past?

To be fair back then I think the Leazes/Milburn corner was open so trucks could probably have gotten through.

Still don't see it as a big enough issue to put organisers off though.