St James' Park

Delima

On 27/06/2023 at 11:57, Kid Icarus said:

Purpose built Student accommodation is different to housing, has different regulations and is just for students, it's not really housing. If it's current use is student accommodation, the argument for saying it would take away housing isn't really there when we have too much student accommodation in the city centre. All ifs and buts though admittedly.

Incidentally, I used to live on St Thomas Crescent following the redevelopment that went on a decade ago, they're basically dolls houses like. Lovely on the outside, but cheap and nasty inside.

We absolutely do not.

Newcastle University has about 20k undergraduate students. Northumbria has a total of 32k students, with the vast majority being undergraduates.

Over the last 20 years there has been a call to get the students out of places like Jesmond, Heaton, Sandyford, and Gosforth. This is so they can free up housing that is used for student flats, to families. This is why there has been a few student accommodation blocks built, but it’s nowhere near enough. There is similar stores in every city, with residents complaining that students are renting flats that locals can live in, and then complaining about purpose built student accommodation being built. Students can’t win, and are becoming a scapegoat for people to blame the housing market and also social problems on.

For what it is worth, without students then whatever sort of economy Newcastle has after 5pm, wouldn’t exist, nor would we have anywhere as much multicultural that we do have (although you can still say that’s lacking).

Edited by Stifler

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

We absolutely do not.

Newcastle University has about 20k undergraduate students. Northumbria has a total of 32k students, with the vast majority being undergraduates.

Over the last 20 years there has been a call to get the students out of places like Jesmond, Heaton, Sandyford, and Gosforth. This is so they can free up housing that is used for student flats, to families. This is why there has been a few student accommodation blocks built, but it’s nowhere near enough. There is similar stores in every city, with residents complaining that students are renting flats that locals can live in, and then complaining about purpose built student accommodation being built. Students can’t win, and are becoming a scapegoat for people to blame the housing market and also social problems on.

For what it is worth, without students then whatever sort of economy Newcastle has after 5pm, wouldn’t exist, now would we have anywhere as much multicultural that we do have (although you can still say that’s lacking).

Student population ≠ student accommodation population. I would need to check when I'm on campus for the exact figures, but we (Newcastle Uni) and Northumbria have a huge amount of local students who live at home as well as students in off campus sites and in Singapore and Malaysia. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

I still have trouble understanding this glass facade how's it would be any benefit. 

Seats have to go on concrete and any gaps is a waste on capacity. Yes possibly a glass part at the top that meets the roof or even a gap like arsenal, but there's very little light to get through. 

I think if we ever do this then the right to light has to be waved when the overall benefit to the city becomes apparent 

21 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Sure, but it's still a residential use, though; if that accommodation isn't there to house students then the pressure is transferred onto the rest of the housing stock.

Take your point, but not sure it would be as much of an obstacle if as much of the near Terrace is as he describes is owned by a business wringing money out of student letting. Plenty of other options, including out of town or couple of miles over the river, which would serve purpose. 

On 27/06/2023 at 12:25, Stifler said:

We absolutely do not.

For what it is worth, without students then whatever sort of economy Newcastle has after 5pm, wouldn’t exist, now would we have anywhere as much multicultural that we do have (although you can still say that’s lacking).

Good post, I never looked at it like that, Durham always has a certain buzz about it for that very reason 

On 27/06/2023 at 04:25, Stifler said:

We absolutely do not.

For what it is worth, without students then whatever sort of economy Newcastle has after 5pm, wouldn’t exist, nor would we have anywhere as much multicultural that we do have (although you can still say that’s lacking).

These blocks are exclusively for first-year students who would never live anywhere else. They have not - nor will they ever - get anyone else beyond that to live in them. Many of these buildings are also extremely expensive as developers understand they have buyers who cannot practically access the private rental market. For example, The Verve (next to St James' park) has an entry price point of ~£700 pcm. That is obscene. We should not support anything about this. 

23 minutes ago, Jagten said:

These blocks are exclusively for first-year students who would never live anywhere else. They have not - nor will they ever - get anyone else beyond that to live in them. Many of these buildings are also extremely expensive as developers understand they have buyers who cannot practically access the private rental market. For example, The Verve (next to St James' park) has an entry price point of ~£700 pcm. That is obscene. We should not support anything about this. 

I’ve known people at uni as well as worked with uni students who are out of 1st year who have lived in blocks all across the city centre. Only some of them are for 1st year students, I think Ricky road blocks, the ones next Lipman at Northumbria, and some near Stepney bank are the ones who are for 1st year students, and to be fair anyone outside of 1st year wouldn’t want to stay in any of them. My former flat mate stayed in the ones at Stepney bank and you had to go through turnstiles to get on and out. She said it was actually like being in a prison.

Many of the new ones are great though. They even have restaurants and can get things like breakfast plans etc.

3 hours ago, Stifler said:

I’ve known people at uni as well as worked with uni students who are out of 1st year who have lived in blocks all across the city centre. Only some of them are for 1st year students, I think Ricky road blocks, the ones next Lipman at Northumbria, and some near Stepney bank are the ones who are for 1st year students, and to be fair anyone outside of 1st year wouldn’t want to stay in any of them. My former flat mate stayed in the ones at Stepney bank and you had to go through turnstiles to get on and out. She said it was actually like being in a prison.

Many of the new ones are great though. They even have restaurants and can get things like breakfast plans etc.

Technically, only a few blocks are mandated for first-year students, but culture dictates that the vast majority of people do not do live in them beyond this. As I mentioned, they are always significantly more expensive too. 

I just came across some content on Everton's new stadium. God, it looks great and it'll be another stadium that will probably be ranked higher than ours in terms of facilitoes and amnities to host top games and events. It's better than Anfield for sure.

With a stadium right in town we don’t need any facilities other than corporate stuff. Can eat or drink anything you want within about 1000 yards of the ground. Can’t do that anywhere else, though Everton looks like it will be the best of the other grounds. Baffles me why anyone is eating or in there for longer than a quick pint before kick off.

Its like the SJH/Keegan era where they couldn't leave anything alone, in a good way. Always looking to enhance something. The tunnel, dug outs,  the afforementioned lettering on the East Stand, the crest on the Leazes