St James' Park

Delima

Aye, 'careful what you wish for' and 'better the devil you know' spring to mind when i think back to FFS, and it could easily happen again. Remember we were all scared of hedge funds and asset stripping buyouts and we got excited when a self-made billionaire buys us, just our luck how it turned out.

god, remember NE5's be careful what you wish for jive?  and then when he started being proven right...:lol:

feels like we're back on the other side of that whole argument but now ashley is in the freddy seat, problem is there's no-one in the ashley takeover seat

He hasn't been proven right for me. There was a very real chance of us going down under Shepherd and there was no way he could have afforded to bring the players in that we did on Allardyces arrival, or plough any of his own money in if we ever got into difficulties further down the line.

Added to that, we now have a squad and staff that I have a hell of a lot more faith in than the one he left us with, and I think we'd actually have more to worry about when it comes to any prospective new owner than we did back then imho.

Aye, 'careful what you wish for' and 'better the devil you know' spring to mind when i think back to FFS, and it could easily happen again. Remember we were all scared of hedge funds and asset stripping buyouts and we got excited when a self-made billionaire buys us, just our luck how it turned out.

god, remember NE5's be careful what you wish for jive?  and then when he started being proven right...:lol:

feels like we're back on the other side of that whole argument but now ashley is in the freddy seat, problem is there's no-one in the ashley takeover seat

He hasn't been proven right for me. There was a very real chance of us going down under Shepherd and there was no way he could have afforded to bring the players in that we did on Allardyces arrival, or plough any of his own money in if we ever got into difficulties further down the line.

Added to that, we now have a squad and staff that I have a hell of a lot more faith in than the one he left us with, and I think we'd actually have more to worry about when it comes to any prospective new owner than we did back then imho.

aye but his point was always about ambition wasn't it?  a very narrow view that shepherd would spend money on quality players to try and get us challenging at the top, on that he was 100% on the money as it appears ashley will never do this

having said that i agree with the bit in bold

aye but his point was always about ambition wasn't it?  a very narrow view that shepherd would spend money on quality players to try and get us challenging at the top, on that he was 100% on the money as it appears ashley will never do this

Surely that'd be more accurately phrased as "a very narrow view that Shepherd would spend money [he didn't have] on established players to try and keep us looking like a big club, on that he was 100% on the money as it appears Ashley burnt his fingers during that first season and will never do this again" ???

Surely that'd be more accurately phrased as "a very narrow view that Shepherd would spend money [he didn't have] on established players to try and keep us looking like a big club, on that he was 100% on the money as it appears Ashley burnt his fingers during that first season and will never do this again" ???

i should have put quote marks around "quality" obviously, and didn't ashley spend about 10m in his first season? not exactly shepherd-esque

Well, he authorised the signings of Barton, Smith, Colo, Viduka, Beye, Geremi - all "name" players on high wages, some of these had even been agreed/lined-up under Shepherd.

Before he had any idea about the state of the club.

Surely that'd be more accurately phrased as "a very narrow view that Shepherd would spend money [he didn't have] on established players to try and keep us looking like a big club, on that he was 100% on the money as it appears Ashley burnt his fingers during that first season and will never do this again"

???

I'm there right now. They're putting Pumas next to the Sports Direct logo on the Gallowgate. Red in.colour.

It'll look disgusting and be a crammed in mess.

However...a small mercy is the fact they're NOT black and shows that someone recognises that a Black Cat on our stadium would bring mongtastic ridicule from that little town near here.

Still shit-tastic, though.

:lol: I reallllllllyyy doubt the reason the cat isn't black is because of Sunderlandness, given that they opted to make the thing red. It's just to keep in with the delightful Sports Direct color scheme. Quite why it couldn't have been blue is beyond me.

I went on a stadium tour last year and  we were told that the club makes it a condition that we don't have a black Puma logo on our home strip, because than it would have a 'black cat' on it. I guess the same applies here - he doesn't want to have black cats on the stadium. Could be bullshit, mind.

Guest Haris Vuckic

That is the Gallowgate end!

I went on a stadium tour last year and  we were told that the club makes it a condition that we don't have a black Puma logo on our home strip, because than it would have a 'black cat' on it. I guess the same applies here - he doesn't want to have black cats on the stadium. Could be bullshit, mind.

There's a black cat on one of our keeper kits I think?

I couldn't care about black cats anyway, it's rubbish.

This years keeper kit originally had black cats on the arms in the first promotional pictures, they were changed to white cats by the time the top came out.