St James' Park

Delima

48 minutes ago, Sima said:

Looking at the footprint of the Leazes/Milburn corner you wouldn't be able to replicate it on the Leazes/East Stand as it would overlap Leazes Terrace.

It would be a difficult problem, but definitely not impossible to solve with the Reuben Bros expertise in this type of thing, and their financial clout, as well as P I F and their financial clout - in conjunction with a favourable City Council.

51 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

That's another possibility. I also think they'll look into maybe going down and adding maybe 4 or 5 rows to the front of each stand. That's what Ajax did at the Arena which upped their capacity from 52k to 55,500. With SJP being on high land I wouldn't expect any water table problems and it's quite an easy way of adding 3/4k seats.

Wouldn't be sure about the water table. The Lort burn rises in Leazes Park.

31 minutes ago, manorpark said:

It would be a difficult problem, but definitely not impossible to solve with the Reuben Bros expertise in this type of thing, and their financial clout, as well as P I F and their financial clout - in conjunction with a favourable City Council.

Hard to believe it wasnt so long ago we were having an owner sell off the land and finish expansion plans and the council going along with it.

Its hard to believe this turn around sometimes.

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

That's another possibility. I also think they'll look into maybe going down and adding maybe 4 or 5 rows to the front of each stand. That's what Ajax did at the Arena which upped their capacity from 52k to 55,500. With SJP being on high land I wouldn't expect any water table problems and it's quite an easy way of adding 3/4k seats.

They do have drainage issues at the Leazes end, that's why they've kept the sloping pitch albeit it's not as intense as it was. Tour guide was talking about it.

Guest HTT II

Can the Milburn not be extended upwards? It would probably require a road re-route to counter encroachment onto the current road, but it’s been done before somewhat…

39 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Can the Milburn not be extended upwards? It would probably require a road re-route to counter encroachment onto the current road, but it’s been done before somewhat…

You want another tier above Level 7? Really?

You already almost need binoculars at the top of L7. Anything higher than that and you'll need the James Webb Telescope.

Guest HTT II
Just now, Wandy said:

You want another tier above Level 7? Really?

You already almost need binoculars at the top of L7. Anything higher than that and you'll need the James Webb Telescope.

Yes, if it can be done, why not.

5 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Even if it’s just a few extra rows…

Going full Hamm on that lopsided-ness eh?

Be class if we could at least have a matching gallowgate end like, but maybe a full height single tier!

Sounds class in my head[emoji38]

11 hours ago, Wandy said:

This is along the lines of what we need. L7 extended to Gallowgate and a lined-up glass wall on top of whatever East Stand we end up with, so that all sound is kept enclosed within the stadium.

FB_IMG_1640125662183.jpg

and we have a winner!!!!!!

If there’s gonna be a poll I think, St. James’ Park “No! You can’t remove leases terraces brick by brick!” Is too long for a thread title like. 
sorry V. 

Guest Biggsbond14
1 hour ago, Nun tumblers said:

Could they not remove Leazes terrace brick by brick and rebuild it at Spital tongues or morpeth or summat.

Are you the numpty who suggested that on the chronicle app or was it Facebook? 
bordering on stupid beyond belief 

TBF it is possible to move a building, it's just to expensive, Beamish Museum do it all the time but on a much smaller scale with donated buildings ready for demolition 

Just keep in mind that any prospective new stadium (if they had decided they had to go that route to increase capacity, at a different location) could cost around £500+ million (London Stadium cost £486 million, in 2011 money - or £689 million, in 2022 money - according to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Stadium).

If a new stadium would cost ~£500 million, then a sizable budget would likely be available to move some historic buildings to enable the ground to be expanded without the expense of a whole new stadium.  For example, £50 million to move the buildings and £200 million to expand and renovate St. James' Park saves then 50% of the cost of a new stadium.

19 hours ago, Wandy said:

This is along the lines of what we need. L7 extended to Gallowgate and a lined-up glass wall on top of whatever East Stand we end up with, so that all sound is kept enclosed within the stadium.

FB_IMG_1640125662183.jpg

There'll be some canny shadows covering the pitch off that.