St James' Park

Delima

5 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Are those folk who voted to stay at St James’ no matter what still of that view it they can no longer get a seat due to changes in ticketing etc?

Genuinely curious if any views have changed at all?

I think a lot would depend on how flexible the club are willing to be about ticketing.

Following recent events it feels like all the club are interested in is filling the stadium with no thought for fan experience or customer service.

The average punter will want some say about where in the ground they sit.

Also a lucky dip 1 week before the match doesn't give many fans outside of the region time to plan their travel, hotels etc.

If it stays like that then I can see interest starting to decline and the huge demand we're experience right now is the peak, not the norm.

So maybe a modest increase to the existing site will suffice.

8 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Are those folk who voted to stay at St James’ no matter what still of that view it they can no longer get a seat due to changes in ticketing etc?

Genuinely curious if any views have changed at all?

Aye.

changed my mind as long as the new stadium is next door in leazes park.

it would mean no shut down of parts of the stadium during rebuild and it could possibly be started as soon as planning permission was granted.

just no way the east stand gets any bigger.

Making the long awaited trip (30 yrs) from South Africa to watch us nexr year at home v WestHam and trying to be aware of the rules and regulations around smoking in the city and the stadium. 

Are there designated smoking areas in the stadium, do you have to leave the grounds for a smoke?

would appreciate some guidance please

3 minutes ago, MagSA said:

Making the long awaited trip (30 yrs) from South Africa to watch us nexr year at home v WestHam and trying to be aware of the rules and regulations around smoking in the city and the stadium. 

Are there designated smoking areas in the stadium, do you have to leave the grounds for a smoke?

Wow, you must love having a snout :lol:

Smoking isn't allowed anywhere in the ground, so you might want to stock up on some nicotine patches or gum

I've heard a rumour there's a smoking area being created just outside the ground at Leazes Terrace, as the club are hoping it might get "accidentally" burnt down and we get the green light for redevelopment of the East Stand

19 minutes ago, MagSA said:

[emoji38]

People having meltdowns trying to get a ticket for the match and you're flapping about whether you can light up, fair play.

What you gonna do on the flight [emoji38]

30 minutes ago, MagSA said:

Cannot smoke in the stadium either in seat or in concourse, also in the UK cannot smoke in any indoor area or on public transport, people in pubs will just go outside for a quick smoke, you cannot smoke in pub beer gardens even though they are outside. 

6 minutes ago, Holloway said:

[emoji38]

People having meltdowns trying to get a ticket for the match and you're flapping about whether you can light up, fair play.

What you gonna do on the flight [emoji38]

good point:D...had to get a spot in hospitality in Barracks which is the only way I was going be guaranteed a ticket and deal the logistics of travelling to UK. So I reckon I will be in hospitality including the game for more than 4hrs. but if I waited 30 yrs for a visit I can deal with a few hours without a smoke. 

1 minute ago, MagSA said:

good point:D...had to get a spot in hospitality in Barracks which is the only way I was going be guaranteed a ticket and deal the logistics of travelling to UK. So I reckon I will be in hospitality including the game for more than 4hrs. but if I waited 30 yrs for a visit I can deal with a few hours without a smoke. 

I'll be in the Barracks for West Ham too. If I see a bloke covered head-to-foot in nicotine patches pacing back and forth along the concourse I'll say hello.

Only place I'd accommodate a new stadium is Leazes Park.

I think it makes perfect sense to build there, make half of the width of the pitch nearer Leazes Terrace park area and the other half (towards Barrack Road) a fanzone, club shop, etc...

1 hour ago, MagSA said:

Good planning sir.. you'd find that the Barracks is the perfect accomodation for the heavy smoker. You get a wristband upon entrance and after that you are free to go back downstairs as often as you wish before the game and at halftime. Not sure if it's a designated area but there's always people smoking near the side entrance. 

1 hour ago, Bally21 said:

Cannot smoke in the stadium either in seat or in concourse, also in the UK cannot smoke in any indoor area or on public transport, people in pubs will just go outside for a quick smoke, you cannot smoke in pub beer gardens even though they are outside. 

Wait, what!? [emoji38]

It may well be part of the plan to allow us to stew in our own juices and then come to the conclusion that a new stadium isn't so bad. If it were in Leazes it could be joined to the old stadium with a series of attractions and the old stadium used for smaller games.

2 hours ago, Sima said:

Only place I'd accommodate a new stadium is Leazes Park.

I think it makes perfect sense to build there, make half of the width of the pitch nearer Leazes Terrace park area and the other half (towards Barrack Road) a fanzone, club shop, etc...

When the club was in its infancy, after Newcastle rangers and west end had played here I'm sure the pitch was moved further toward strawberry place after east end became Newcastle United and started developing the ground more. 

So really....we'd be moving it back! 

2 hours ago, Danh1 said:

Just have a tab in the bogs at half time or if you’re in the safe standing area have one at your seat. 

The amount of people who do this is ridiculous. So aye, have one in the bogs [emoji38]

I’m a smoker and even I can wait during the game. It always makes me chuckle like. 

25 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

The amount of people who do this is ridiculous. So aye, have one in the bogs [emoji38]

I’m a smoker and even I can wait during the game. It always makes me chuckle like. 

Sure it's not a cough?

1 hour ago, Bally21 said:

OK, obviously I've got that wrong, I will shut up now.[emoji38]

You haven’t. Quite a lot of beer gardens are no smoking but have designated smoking areas. The rear courtyard at the Quaysider for example is no smoking.

I just don’t think building in Leazes Park is as viable as many seem to think on here.  It’s a Grade II listed Victorian park.  

I don’t go there often but I see bigger barriers to building there than I do Leazes Terrace.

The only viable site I can think of for a new city centre stadium is where the arena is.  Other than that you are out in the sticks.

It wouldn't/couldn't be directly on Leazes Park. It would have to be primarily on the Castle Leazes area of the town moor to the north of LP - with perhaps only a small part of the footprint encroaching the edge of the existing Leazes Park. And you would have to offset this by extending the existing park down to Strawberry Place.

Worth noting that the university have been looking to rebuild their Castle Leazes accomodation. Buying that site together with Castle Leazes Town Moor would give a very big footprint to develop. It does push the ground further away from the centre though.