St James' Park

Delima

Doesn't seem like much in the way of "heritage" to me, like. A sign, that's been up there for less than 20 years. There wasn't a single stick of that stand in place -- or any of the others, as it goes -- when I first went to a match.

Well iconic then.

Doesn't seem like much in the way of "heritage" to me, like. A sign, that's been up there for less than 20 years. There wasn't a single stick of that stand in place -- or any of the others, as it goes -- when I first went to a match.

We'll done, you're old :lol:. That sign has been at every Newcastle home match I've ever been to, so its part of my heritage as a NUFC fan so to speak. And I'd rather it wasn't replaced with some red and blue wank

Aye, well, congratulations on being young.

We'll done, you're old :lol:. That sign has been at every Newcastle home match I've ever been to, so its part of my heritage as a NUFC fan so to speak. And I'd rather it wasn't replaced with some red and blue w***

:thup:

I'm not normally one for being overly sentimental, but I've had my season ticket since 2001 and this is the first season I haven't been able to see the NEWCASTLE UNITED sign. Always loved being able to look across at that with the city in the background from L7. :aww:

We'll done, you're old :lol:. That sign has been at every Newcastle home match I've ever been to, so its part of my heritage as a NUFC fan so to speak. And I'd rather it wasn't replaced with some red and blue w***

:thup:

He has a point though. Sky and 1992 was not the beginning of football or NUFC.

Wasn't the end of it either though, was it?  Is Shearer part of the club's heritiage?  How about the club crest, which has been around about as long as that sign?  Can we fuck about with that an all, seeing as it's such a modern invention?

He has a point though. Sky and 1992 was not the beginning of football or NUFC.

Wasn't the end of it either though, was it?  Is Shearer part of the club's heritiage?  How about the club crest, which has been around about as long as that sign?  Can we fuck about with that an all, seeing as it's such a modern invention?

Actually, I prefer the 80s style NUFC badge http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/NUFC_-_Old_Crest_-_Magpie.png it's simple and sums up the city and club quite well.

Which is all very well, but if the club were to decide they were going to change the current badge I'd expect the first response would be "What are they replacing it with" rather than "Oh well, it's only been like that for two decades."

Sad to read that a few people are quite happy for the face of SJP to be changed so quickly for the sake of an extra couple of quid (if the club ever sees the sponsor money).

Got to ask the questions, what next and when will it stop?

Which is all very well, but if the club were to decide they were going to change the current badge I'd expect the first response would be "What are they replacing it with" rather than "Oh well, it's only been like that for two decades."

Which is all very well, but if my first reponse had been "Oh well, it's only been like that for two decades." then I'd expect you to come out with this rubbish, rather than seemingly throw weight towards the "anything that happens is FUCKING SHIT" brigade.

All we know is that the "Newcastle United" lettering has been taken down.

It may or may not be replaced.

It may or may not be put back up with advertising (SportsDirect@St James' Park).

Frustratingly, nothing can be done about it by "the fans" so bleating on about the sky falling in is just empty rhetoric by the majority. If you had really fallen out of love with football and NUFC then you certainly wouldn't be pissing away your time posting in here.

The FCB has been told to "get out of the club" - quite why he should then be expected to 'listen' to the fans is lost on me. We can't have our cake, then eat it.

Which is all very well, but if my first reponse had been "Oh well, it's only been like that for two decades." then I'd expect you to come out with this rubbish, rather than seemingly throw weight towards the "anything that happens is FUCKING SHIT" brigade.

It may or may not be put back up with advertising (SportsDirect@St James' Park).

But if it's been there for 20 years or 200 years isn't really the issue for people who are fond of it, don't want it to come down and are concerned what it might be replaced with.

Frustratingly, nothing can be done about it by "the fans" so bleating on about the sky falling in is just empty rhetoric by the majority. If you had really fallen out of love with football and NUFC then you certainly wouldn't be pissing away your time posting in here.

Where have I said anything like that, ever?

The FCB has been told to "get out of the club" - quite why he should then be expected to 'listen' to the fans is lost on me. We can't have our cake, then eat it.

Surely the obvious answer is because he hasn't gotten out of the club and he's still here.  Not quite sure why you're so suprised or angry about the fact people are giving their opinions about what's happening or might happen to St Jame's Park on a Newcastle message board.

And is it really pissing in the wind anyway?  The whole Sports Direct @ St Jame's Park thing seemed to be something Mike and Derek had pretty much decided on, then we don't seem to have seen that name used in any official capacity since.  Find it hard to believe the backlash against it has nothing to do with that.

But if it's been there for 20 years or 200 years isn't really the issue for people who are fond of it, don't want it to come down and are concerned what it might be replaced with.

The theme of the thread (along with many others - which relates to the next point you made) is that as soon as the lettering has been taken down, then it's the worst thing to happen to the club and it's sacriligeous to even suggest a change, let alone desecrate it with potential advertising. Ozzie was simply pointing out that the sign hasn't been here all that long, relative to the club, and that it's not a cornerstone of NUFC.

I'll leave it to the Good Knight to phrase what we're saying more eloquently

"What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It's not the television contracts, get out clauses or the marketing departments or executive boxes. It's the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city"

It's the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city"

So the fans, basically.  Or "the fans", bleating on with their empty rhetoric, if you prefer.

Surely people having pride in their ground and and having concern that the sign will be replaced with somethign tacky is exactly what Bobby was going on about?  I mean, he's slagging off marketing departments in the same quote, which is basically what you roll your eyes at fans doing.

It's the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city"

So the fans, basically.  Or "the fans", bleating on with their empty rhetoric, if you prefer.

Surely people having pride in their ground and and having concern that the sign will be replaced with somethign tacky is exactly what Bobby was going on about?  I mean, he's slagging off marketing departments in the same quote, which is basically what you roll your eyes at fans doing.

Thought you'd go down this route - what I'm saying is that the 'club' is bigger than any shit that gets thrown on it by Ashley. If people are going to forgoe their loyalty and support to NUFC because the current owner is unpopular and making ill-advised decisions, then why bother getting het up about it on a forum?

You seem at least as angry at fans for expressing their concerns about it as anyone has been about what might happen to the sign - And I've not seen a 'majority' saying they're not going to support the club any more because of it though.

At any rate, if the club is the city and the people, can we then stop the shrug of the shoulders and "He owns the club, he can do what he likes with it" whenever Ashley does something crass or destructive then?

Actually, I prefer the 80s style NUFC badge http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/NUFC_-_Old_Crest_-_Magpie.png it's simple and sums up the city and club quite well.

Yeh, 1 for sorrow and all that

I thought it looked tacky when it first went up.

You seem at least as angry at fans for expressing their concerns about it as anyone has been about what might happen to the sign

Angry is a bit strong like :lol: bemused, befuddled and bedeviled are more apt.

I thought it looked tacky when it first went up.

Now then, now then. I hope you're not insinuating that a change which you don't necessarily agree with or support initially might not turn out to be such a negative?