St James' Park

Delima

Guest guinness_fiend

Just look at the dates.

That much I figured out, but unless I'm missing something, don't you still have to take a punt on one page and then work forwards or backwards?

A few seasons ago when there was talk of Local Hero been dropped as the team came out nufc.com refused to get involved saying words along the lines of it having no sentimental relevance and was just a piece of meaningless music. Most ordinary fans did feel it had become part of the fabric of the club and match experience and it was retained.  Funny that .com has taken up the name sign story with such zeal.

It's debatable but I'd say the song was more symbolic than the sign, but both are important to us.  I hope the new sign retains strong Newcastle symbolism but with it being in such a prominent position for TV cameras it will be vulnerable to some kind of marketing pitch. I hope they resist the temptation.

What have .com said like? I can't spot anything at all written about it on their site which is strange considering they're being so zealous about it.

A few seasons ago when there was talk of Local Hero been dropped as the team came out nufc.com refused to get involved saying words along the lines of it having no sentimental relevance and was just a piece of meaningless music. Most ordinary fans did feel it had become part of the fabric of the club and match experience and it was retained.  Funny that .com has taken up the name sign story with such zeal.

It's debatable but I'd say the song was more symbolic than the sign, but both are important to us.  I hope the new sign retains strong Newcastle symbolism but with it being in such a prominent position for TV cameras it will be vulnerable to some kind of marketing pitch. I hope they resist the temptation.

What have .com said like? I can't spot anything at all written about it on their site which is strange considering they're being so zealous about it.

Same here, all I've ever seen is them using it as the header for the story about us signing fuck all on deadline day.

Local Hero was dropped for a while, wasn't it?

Did I just dream it or did we once run out to Hey Boy, Hey Girl by The Chemical Brothers.

IIRC they used some sort of generic theme instead of Local Hero when we played Wigan at St James' in 2007. I wasn't impressed.

Was that when we started playing "Medal" aka the entrance music of wrestler Kurt Angle?

That was awful, I was looking around desperate not to be the only person to recognise it.

Local Hero was dropped for a while, wasn't it?

Did I just dream it or did we once run out to Hey Boy, Hey Girl by The Chemical Brothers.

yeah we did

I thought we had. I remember at the time saying "what the hell is this!?"

Was that when we started playing "Medal" aka the entrance music of wrestler Kurt Angle?

Was going to mention that, but wasn't it played at half time? Before the team came back out?

I heard we dropped Local Hero because Scott Parker complained to Sam Allardyce about it. Don't know how true that was.

allardyce sold him in the june, days/weeks after taking over so it might have been another player whinging

Well what I heard was that Allardyce arranged a meeting early days with Scott Parker as he was his captain at the time and Parker was asked what wasn't working, at which point Parker went on a massive rant about the fans, saying some odd things. Allardyce saw Parker wasn't going to work at Newcastle so shipped him. All stories at the time though so who knows?

I cannot be bothered to read thirtyish pages of presumably anti-Ashley propaganda, but can someone please confirm if there is any evidence (other than unsubstantiated rumours) to back up the claim that the sign is not just simply being refurbished during the international break.

i can list 5 years worth of other ridiculous decisions if you like, but you probably wouldn't view that as evidence.