St James' Park

Delima

2 hours ago, JonBez comesock said:

I don’t think we will outgrow anything over 62,000

it wasn’t that long ago we couldn’t fill our current stadium for champions league games under Bobby 

I think we have a good strong core of 35 - 40k supporters and then lots of hangers on 

The owners will be planning for a future where this club will be competing/winning titles and cups.

The life of a stadium must be looked at over 50 years.

Look at what has happened with Man City over 20 years. It is conceivable that we will have a bigger world footprint over the next 50 years.

They should build a state of the art 80000 seat stadium with room for further development.

3 hours ago, JonBez comesock said:

I don’t think we will outgrow anything over 62,000

it wasn’t that long ago we couldn’t fill our current stadium for champions league games under Bobby 

I think we have a good strong core of 35 - 40k supporters and then lots of hangers on 

It's hard to say. We could sell out 62k every week right now and when you say "it wasn't that long ago" it was actually 20 years ago. The popularity of football is just growing all the time. Ot's far mlre popular than it was 20 years ago. 19 of the 20 Premier League clubs sell out every single home game now. It's unprecidented.

I hark back to West Ham but I find it astonishing that people think we need to build a stadium smaller than what they currently have because anything else would be too big!

1 minute ago, Wallsendmag said:

It's hard to say. We could sell out 62k every week right now and when you say "it wasn't that long ago" it was actually 20 years ago. The popularity of football is just growing all the time. Ot's far mlre popular than it was 20 years ago. 19 of the 20 Premier League clubs sell out every single home game now. It's unprecidented.

I hark back to West Ham but I find it astonishing that people think we need to build a stadium smaller than what they currently have because anything else would be too big!

Yet ask any West Ham fan if they would rather move back to Upton Park.

Progress (in moving stadium) isn’t always for the best…

1 minute ago, TheGuv said:

I mean the conversion of the Olympic stadium was a joke so I wouldn’t blame them in that regard.

it has however given a lot more fans the opportunity to watch the team they love. 

57 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

West Ham fans are only unhappy about the move because the design of the London Stadium is horrendous for watching football. A properly designed football stadium with a 70K+ capacity could still be a brilliant venue to experience a game.

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

I hear what you are saying 

I just think 62,000 is about right

With Chelsea (new owners) 

Liverpool , Man united and Now spurs (looking at new owners/ changes at the top)

Its not going to be easy to qualify for the champions league every year.

It will be very very difficult to win the league over the next 10/15 years with most of the top 6 having new very wealthy owners (and enough money to compete for all the top players) 

They will also offer very good wages (which I don’t think we will until we see champions league football / huge sponsorships) 

Having a ground of 70/75/80,000 is not realistic and will look dreadful with 10/15,000 empty seats) 

We have fantastic owners and I can see us challenging  (Arsenal , Man City , Man united , Chelsea , Liverpool and Spurs ) …..but I don’t see us filling a 70,000+ stadium every week if we are finishing 6th or 7th every season and the novelty of europa league football wears off.

For me , I am just excited to see us (giving it a go) and acting like a proper football club again.

I am excited to watch every game , watch every interview , talk to everyone about Newcastle and see us improve year on year.

Building / developing a ground that goes beyond 62,000 isn’t required to compete. (It might look good though) 😊

7 hours ago, TheGuv said:

I very much doubt the extra 30,000 fans who can now go and watch them would rather go back to Upton Park like and miss out.

5 hours ago, JonBez comesock said:

I hear what you are saying 

I just think 62,000 is about right

With Chelsea (new owners) 

Liverpool , Man united and Now spurs (looking at new owners/ changes at the top)

Its not going to be easy to qualify for the champions league every year.

It will be very very difficult to win the league over the next 10/15 years with most of the top 6 having new very wealthy owners (and enough money to compete for all the top players) 

They will also offer very good wages (which I don’t think we will until we see champions league football / huge sponsorships) 

Having a ground of 70/75/80,000 is not realistic and will look dreadful with 10/15,000 empty seats) 

We have fantastic owners and I can see us challenging  (Arsenal , Man City , Man united , Chelsea , Liverpool and Spurs ) …..but I don’t see us filling a 70,000+ stadium every week if we are finishing 6th or 7th every season and the novelty of europa league football wears off.

For me , I am just excited to see us (giving it a go) and acting like a proper football club again.

I am excited to watch every game , watch every interview , talk to everyone about Newcastle and see us improve year on year.

Building / developing a ground that goes beyond 62,000 isn’t required to compete. (It might look good though) 😊

We could already fill 62k every week now. Even for cup games it would be full. This is on the back of 14 years of Mike Ashley completely ruining the club, whereas we now have owners who are commited to growing the fanbase to far more than what it currently is.

My mindset on this subject hasn't changed one iota.

1. The ideal capacity would be about 70,000. 

2. The club would need to move in order fulfill its potential.

3. Presuming the arena site is a non-starter, then the club should pursue a move to Castle Leazes. About 300 metres north.

4. The remainder of Castle Leazes and the vacant footprint of St.James's should be incorporated into an extended Leazes Park. Perhaps the club could manage and maintain the park as part of the deal.

5. The city would get a stadium as good as anywhere in Europe and an expanded and renovated city park.

11 minutes ago, TomYam said:

My mindset on this subject hasn't changed one iota.

1. The ideal capacity would be about 70,000. 

2. The club would need to move in order fulfill its potential.

3. Presuming the arena site is a non-starter, then the club should pursue a move to Castle Leazes. About 300 metres north.

4. The remainder of Castle Leazes and the vacant footprint of St.James's should be incorporated into an extended Leazes Park. Perhaps the club could manage and maintain the park as part of the deal.

5. The city would get a stadium as good as anywhere in Europe and an expanded and renovated city park.

Completely agree with every point. 60,000 isn’t enough, 70,000 is the sweet spot but we could also fill 75k+ if we established ourselves as a club that wins trophies in every decade.

8 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

They only fill it through the cheapest seats in the league.

Aye i've got few West Ham mates who have season tickets at London stadium. Yes views can be bad and there is a track but on flip a lot easier to get to.

We need a modern dsy fortress, steeper stands with safe standing' better accoustics...but modern bars etc.

My only wish is for an "end" that is made to get fans together and improve atmosphere..lets face it all facilities etc will improve.

23 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

When Leazes Terrace was a positive 😎

(copyright..twitter)

20230214_200558.jpg

The health and safety on that! It doesn't really show in that picture but it was very wet and rainy that day (Southend h 92/93).

Remember when people were watching the games from the trees in Leazes Park when it was blowing a gale against Peterborough that season?

29 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Aye i've got few West Ham mates who have season tickets at London stadium. Yes views can be bad and there is a track but on flip a lot easier to get to.

We need a modern dsy fortress, steeper stands with safe standing' better accoustics...but modern bars etc.

My only wish is for an "end" that is made to get fans together and improve atmosphere..lets face it all facilities etc will improve.

I was at London Stadium for the West Ham v Chelsea match on Saturday. It’s a horrible stadium and experience. It’s dirty and the atmosphere is poor. It honestly looks like a 40 year old stadium. Newcastle could do so much better