St James' Park

Delima

My season ticket was in the Leazes, including the years from 93 to 99 when it had the same roof as the current Gallowgate, and I know from personal experience that when that stand was singing in unison it was incredibly loud, not only from sitting within it but also from how it sounded on the TV. I know this because when rewatching on MOTD I could clearly hear all of the songs that I had been participating in and they sounded loud.

You only need to watch a match like the Man U 5-0 in 1996 to appreciate how well the current Gallowgate acoustics carry to the TV viewer. 

The Level 7 extension definitely spoiled the SJP acoustic experience but, even until recent years, the general atmosphere had still been good. I maintain that the loss of 10k season ticket holders in 2019 has had a really damaging effect. 

I just find the current SJP atmosphere incredibly weird. The place sounds flat right from the off, and we don’t appear to have any kind of songbook anymore. And the fact that none of the songs that have been around for decades don’t get sung anymore tells me that a lot of the fans that were around in the 90s, noughties and pre-2019 simply aren’t in the stadium anymore. You barely even hear the Blaydon Races now FFS.

Getting the current Gallowgate made into safe standing is the most important issue that the club needs to address. I would not make any more season tickets available for that stand, convert the whole thing to safe standing and then make the remaining non-season ticket holder spaces available on a match to match basis only. Any season ticket holders in the Gallowgate who don’t want to be in a standing spot need to be moved to a seat somewhere else.

Since we don’t seem to have more than 32k ST holders, this will likely be the last opportunity to move people around while spare seats are available so the club need to make the most of the opportunity now.

Edited by Wandy

2 hours ago, Mr Pups said:

does it switch back to 1:1 for european games? i read somewhere that dortmund 80000 league and 60000+ champions league?

There is no safe standing in Uefa competitions.

Need like minded people , willing to make a noise and sing in multiple areas of the stadium (safe standing) to improve the atmosphere. 

let the one’s who want to sit on their hands and then leave 5 mins before the game ends ….watch from up a height (out the way) 

hopefully the response from the season ticket holders is positive and we get some noise back into St James park next season 

The players are doing their bit - We need to do the same 

2 hours ago, Wandy said:

My season ticket was in the Leazes, including the years from 93 to 99 when it had the same roof as the current Gallowgate, and I know from personal experience that when that stand was singing in unison it was incredibly loud, not only from sitting within it but also from how it sounded on the TV. I know this because when rewatching on MOTD I could clearly hear all of the songs that I had been participating in and they sounded loud.

You only need to watch a match like the Man U 5-0 in 1996 to appreciate how well the current Gallowgate acoustics carry to the TV viewer. 

The Level 7 extension definitely spoiled the SJP acoustic experience but, even until recent years, the general atmosphere had still been good. I maintain that the loss of 10k season ticket holders in 2019 has had a really damaging effect. 

I just find the current SJP atmosphere incredibly weird. The place sounds flat right from the off, and we don’t appear to have any kind of songbook anymore. And the fact that none of the songs that have been around for decades don’t get sung anymore tells me that a lot of the fans that were around in the 90s, naughties and pre-2019 simply aren’t in the stadium anymore. You barely even hear the Blaydon Races now FFS.

Getting the current Gallowgate made into safe standing is the most important issue that the club needs to address. I would not make any more season tickets available for that stand, convert the whole thing to safe standing and then make the remaining non-season ticket holder spaces available on a match to match basis only. Any season ticket holders in the Gallowgate who don’t want to be in a standing spot need to be moved to a seat somewhere else.

Since we don’t seem to have more than 32k ST holders, this will likely be the last opportunity to move people around while spare seats are available so the club need to make the most of the opportunity now.

Really good post.

I think you’re spot on with the chanting. People really don’t know anything other than a songbook of 6 songs. So so so many from the 90s-2010s seem to have disappeared/locked out. Fair enough, we made our bed. But something needs to change. 

My hand is fucking killing today as I kept banging the back wall trying to generate some atmosphere in the Leazes East Corner - which is basically around 10-20 lads on the back row attempting to generate an atmosphere. Generally, it does work and we can get some change going. But you better believe it can only be ‘Eddie Howe’s Black and White Army’ as anything else leaves people bemused who clearly don’t know the words. 

The amount of people streaming out the ground from the 80th minute, with a cup final on the horizon was just baffling. Yet, as a member, I of course aren’t as important as other fans apparently. Get to fuck quite frankly. 

44 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Another note, I see a few people on twitter complaining about all of the wires for the new spider cam. For those on here who were there yesterday, what were the wires like? Was it distracting at all?

Nah, it’s just new. The worst thing about it was that people wouldn’t shut up about it.

16 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Really good post.

I think you’re spot on with the chanting. People really don’t know anything other than a songbook of 6 songs. So so so many from the 90s-2010s seem to have disappeared/locked out. Fair enough, we made our bed. But something needs to change. 

My hand is fucking killing today as I kept banging the back wall trying to generate some atmosphere in the Leazes East Corner - which is basically around 10-20 lads on the back row attempting to generate an atmosphere. Generally, it does work and we can get some change going. But you better believe it can only be ‘Eddie Howe’s Black and White Army’ as anything else leaves people bemused who clearly don’t know the words. 

The amount of people streaming out the ground from the 80th minute, with a cup final on the horizon was just baffling. Yet, as a member, I of course aren’t as important as other fans apparently. Get to fuck quite frankly. 

Me and the lad sit in the back row about 30 seats along from you lot, as often as we can. He loves it when the wall gets hit.

2 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Nah, it’s just new. The worst thing about it was that people wouldn’t shut up about it.

Aye, fuck all wrong with it tbh. Thought it would be more of a distraction than it was, but from the middle of the Gallowgate it was fine.