St James' Park

Delima

Just now, Ben said:

I think the opposite, I reckon the plans are in place with a money no object expansion that will be a jewel in the crown of their 2030 plans, they have already offered to fund Greece's entire infrastucture build for the 2030 world cup.

You’d need to actually develop the plans - unless they’re planning on bringing in everyone from outside the NE, then no plans currently exist.

And they weren’t supposedly offering that to Greece as an act of generosity - it was so they could jointly host the WC, which would directly affect KSA.  That doesn’t mean that the same offer applies to NUFC, where KSA are looking to ultimately make a profit. 

51 minutes ago, James said:

Do what Man City kind of did, build a second stadium of 20,000 capacity for academy and ladies team and then relocate there for a couple of years when the rebuild happens

Tell those other 20,000 or so season ticket holders that they can't go for 2 seasons..... and I don't remember Man City relocating to a much smaller stadium while the new one was built.

Edited by madras

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I do think that Staveley and Ghoudossi are smart and engaged and will want all (or as many as possible) local stakeholders onboard, the Reubens are obviously savvy property developers and PIF won’t want any negative publicity given that their involvement already creates negative attention.  I’d be very surprised if any proposed changes to SJP go ahead without a shitload of comms work - which would likely take a couple of years.  They’re unlikely to blindly plough in without a care about consequences. 

Didn’t actually realise that Ghoudossi was an architect himself until I watched Hope’s latest Vlog.

If anything it would probably be Kingston Park. Boring ground anyway so nothing missed by building it temporarily much bigger (Qatar22 style) and downsizing thereafter and will probably leave a more unique looking stadium thereafter, plenty space to do so etc.

I love a good building as much as the next man...but to be honest if I was going to bring someone into Newcastle to show the architecture and history of the city I would walk from the Quayside, Grey Street up to St James Park.

However I wouldn't be taking them around the East Stand and showing them a row of terraced housing or unused tennis courts in the park.

If it was not for the ground I bet very few would even know of the street and we would have had tower blocks or a run down shopping centre in front of them by now.

2 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Def don’t think we should be looking at a new stadium now we can get 60k with a Gallowgate extension. 

Aye, i must admit i would love to take my grandkids (???) To St James

3 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Def don’t think we should be looking at a new stadium now we can get 60k with a Gallowgate extension. 

exactly. securing the land basically means there is no need to move anything. I don't know why the fuck people are still on about demolishing the whole ground and shit. We've got what we've got and we are going to improve it gradually. 

200m+ is a lot of money for 8000-9000 seats, however it raises the profile of the club and has us in the same bracket as the top clubs particularly if it helps upgrade extra corporate shit as well

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

In terms of Strawberry Place, were an extension to the Gallowgate feasible (and I’m still not convinced that it is structurally unless something is done with the Metro station), then it is perfectly possible to build over the road and leave it intact (Ajax’s stadium has a motorway running under it).  Leaving Strawberry Place is situ is the easy bit.

As for Leazes Terrace, it won’t be touched and quite bloody right too.  There’s been enough unnecessary damage to Georgian Newcastle done over the years.

Adding a small additional tier onto the East Stand (which would need a full KD and rebuild on the current footprint) might be an option if you can get permission.

It all just looks like a fucking massive ball ache from a CE point of view.  The cost, if it can work, would be astronomical and completely unviable as a money-making venture.  If the PIF wants to spunk quarter of a billion on it, that’s their business tbf - just so long as the cost doesn’t land on the club’s accounts as a debt. 

I would raze it to the ground in a heartbeat. Completely pointless building in a part of the city centre that literally nobody goes to unless they are going to the match.

The benefits to the city in getting rid of it are 100 times greater than those in keeping it. 

3 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I would raze it to the ground in a heartbeat. Completely pointless building in a part of the city centre that literally nobody goes to unless they are going to the match.

The benefits to the city in getting rid of it are 100 times greater than those in keeping it. 

Nar but aye.

Honestly, the Georgian architecture in the city centre is wildly overrated. Grey Street is holding up quite well but the buildings of Granger Town are in a dreadful state. Absolutely filthy and signs of rot everywhere. It’s actually quite embarrassing seeing how badly the city centre has been allowed to decay and God only knows what visitors to  the city must think. And don’t get me started on all of the embedded chewing gum on every street. It’s absolutely rancid.

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

Honestly, the Georgian architecture in the city centre is wildly overrated. Grey Street is holding up quite well but the buildings of Granger Town are in a dreadful state. Absolutely filthy and signs of rot everywhere. It’s actually quite embarrassing seeing how badly the city centre has been allowed to decay and God only knows what visitors to  the city must think. And don’t get me started on all of the embedded chewing gum on every street. It’s absolutely rancid.

I don't recognise any of that comment . . . 

City Centre - From Grey's Monument (recent).jpg

1 minute ago, manorpark said:

I don't recognise any of that comment . . . 

City Centre - From Grey's Monument (recent).jpg

I would like to know when that photo was taken. Not any time recently I bet. Next time you are walking up Granger Street take a close look at the brickwork. It’s absolutely filthy.