What exactly are Milners strengths?

KaKa

Guest theunis

dont know what this is about, because he has been producing most of the goals this season or providing the cross.

Well his ability to beat the man and his determination must be his biggest streanghts

It is odd to see people having a go at Milner because "he can't beat his man, he can't do this, he can't do that", yet at Villa we've got a player only a little younger, Agbonlahor, who seems to get roundly praised in the media and by our and other fans as "some prospect", yet in fact offers absolutely nothing but pace.

Milner is much further down the development line than that, and has a lot more to offer than Agbonlahor, and has performed well for a season and a half now, but he gets stick. I don't get it. I know which of those two I'd prefer.

He's 21 and has produced the goods all season. Yet no doubt most of the people on here, as was the case on our forums when we were linked with him too, will go gooey eyed at the prospect of signing a player like SWP to play in that position - a player who has consistently done nothing for several seasons now.

Well said, it's the "grass is always greener" principle.

Douga reckons Milner can't beat his man. :lol: Aye, the same way Shay can't make a simple save and Martins can't hit the ball very hard.

• 2 weeks later...

I ask again?

What exactly are this man's strengths!!!

Lord have mercy! A serviceable player but that is about it. Not sure if he will ever be good enough to be a mainstay in our first team Might be more of a backup player for us.

He's a victim of the way we play. i.e we don't. We don't have a set way of playing so a lot of the time he's isolated and his only option is to either give it back or cross, either of which reflects bad on him because most of the time the cross gets cleared because there's noone there to get it, and playing the ball back looks negative.

Lord have mercy!

Ok, What exactly are Martins strengths? Heard he was immense today.... What exactly are Solano's strengths? As we seem to be ignoring any games these players have done well in and all that.

Ok, What exactly are Martins strengths? Heard he was immense today.... What exactly are Solano's strengths? As we seem to be ignoring any games these players have done well in and all that.

Whoever told you he was immense today lied to your face.

Same old Milner, appears to be working hard without getting anything done!

Dribble moves that don't come off...bad touches...bad passes.....

Apart from the occassional great shot or cross he is not a consistent threat despite the effort he always appears to give.

Definitely shouldn't be in the first team.

I would rather have someone like Benayoun in his position anyday, who will consistently produce REAL quality!

Whoever told you he was immense today lied to your face.

Same old Milner, appears to be working hard without getting anything done!

Dribble moves that don't come off...bad touches...bad passes.....

Apart from the occassional great shot or cross he is not a consistent threat despite the effort he always appears to give.

Definitely shouldn't be in the first team.

I would rather have someone like Benayoun in his position anyday, who will consistently produce REAL quality!

I was being sarcastic about Martins, the point being he has as many poor games yet doesnt seem to get threads like this.

Milner is never going to be a Ronaldo but as ugly as his play is he is often fairly productive as has been proven over the last couple of seasons. He clearly has strengths but its easier to ignore them when we have had a bad game and put the blame on the lad seemingly trying to claim he is useless and looking for excuses as to why we played poorly despite there being a lot more players on the pitch also doing fuck all.

I was being sarcastic about Martins, the point being he has as many poor games yet doesnt seem to get threads like this.

Because if it wasn't for Martins good performances this season we'd be going down.

Because if it wasn't for Martins good performances this season we'd be going down.

Where would we be without Milners goals and assists?

3 goals and 3 assists in the Premiership according to SkySports.com

I doubt we'd be much worse off tbh, if you take his goals out we'd only be 2 points down.

3 goals and 3 assists in the Premiership according to SkySports.com

I doubt we'd be much worse off tbh, if you take his goals out we'd only be 2 points down.

But Milner gets through a hell of a lot of defensive work that Martin's doesn't, probably worth a point or two. Then think of the build up play etc. It's not his sole primary aim, to win us us points, like it is Martins'. When comparing players in two different positions, stats don't mean much.

Guest Knightrider

Milner's strengths?

Crossing a moving ball (harder to do than a stationary ball)

Work-rate (exceptional)

Quick feet (gets him out of tight problems, although this can also make him lose his footing)

Tactically decent (knows when to stick, when to go)

Good shot on him (as we've recently found out)

Overall a decent little player who if he can fine tune his passing and crossing, could be a very good player.

Milner's main strength is effort. He has good close control, and can beat a man, but not with pace. He produces the odd good cross but they're mostly very poor, and his shooting used to be shocking but seems to be coming on.

He's a decent player but tbh I don't think he has enough assets to ever be a top 6 player. I hope he proves me wrong like, but I just can't see it. I think the main reason he's been one of our players of the season so far is down to a lack of real competition.

No surprise there was a huge drop off in our level of play when Milner replaced the Sib.

In the lead up to the penalty their left back was given acres of space to come forward with no pressure and play the ball that opened us up and directly led to Taylor handling the ball!

I was screaming at Milner to close him down but for some reason he was just backing off him???!!!

Milner didn't add a single thing to the game today despite coming on with about 20 mins remaining.

I still don't see what all the fuss is about...

He was shite when he came on tonight.

Difficult stage to come on at, tbh. Bad substitution by Roeder, IMO, should have kept things the way they were, perhaps Emre on form Butt or Parker or Zoggy on for Duff, but never Milner for Sibbers. Sibbers and Martins were doing alright together upfront, IMO.