What exactly are Milners strengths?

KaKa

Milner has been one of our better players this season. I'm surprised threads like this are still knocking about.

But football is all about opinions, even total dogshit ones.  :cheesy:

i think milner has probably been our best player overall this season but i can actually see his point and think its far from dog s***! he is inconsistent with his crossing and isnt sure sometimes whether to cross or take a man on! his biggest asset by far is his workrate. i do however think that at his age he is an excellent prospect and has plenty of time to gain experience.

So he's 21 and learning his game, no need for another thread pulling him down tbh.

Hardly pulling him down am I mate.....

Please calm down.

You are dissapointed with one of our most creative players this season (and was as creative as any of ours last season) and he is 21 years old. Stinks of kneejerk from a erratic performance tonight. One of our best players this season.

God, not the "poor crosser" again. The reason Milner puts in poor balls every now and then is because of the amount of crosses he puts in. Why don't people say Duff can't cross? Answer - because he doesn't even bother fucking trying. Milner's a victim of the way he can rape a full back for fun and always get the ball across. Occasionally one goes out or gets cleared - big fucking deal.

tbf most of the time he was lucky to have one player in the box to cross to! He put in a couple of crosses that we should have done better with most noteable being the Luque one where he just left it for some odd reason!

God, not the "poor crosser" again. The reason Milner puts in poor balls every now and then is because of the amount  of crosses he puts in. Why don't people say Duff cant cross? Answer - because he doesn't even bother f****** trying. Milner's a victim of the way he can rape a full back for fun and always get the ball across. Occasionally one goes out or gets cleared - big f****** deal.

And the fact most of the time the only player to aim at is 5 foot 5 Oba.

Milner can beat his fullback using skill rather than speed, he can also cross - there were a number of crosses today that could've resulted in goals if we had a poacher on the field(Owen, Shearer etc). He has a high work rate, often chasing lost causes, he tracks back well, he has very good stamina, and he never gets injured. AND he's just turned 21 and is still learning the game. :tongue:

milner is best on the left if we are playing with dyer/martins up front,he can come inside  and look for a shot or pass,if sibierski is playing then milner is best on the right to be able to cross and drive at the full back.

thats how to get the best out of milner,wether it gets the best out of our squad is open to debate

Hes good for his age and talented, but as the original poster says, alot of our moves that break down are due to poor play by him. Hes very hit and miss, and its this - not his "lack of pace", that will contribute to him not getting a callup to the England squad.

As mentioned elsewhere, if we honestly want to challenge for top 4, we need a core squad full of players of Nobby, Emre and Dyer's technical abilities, players who ensure we "play" as opposed to "try hard", whilst the Milners and Butts (and Martins?) - players with alot they can bring to the side, but often inconsistent general play - need to be additions to that core squad. More Gudjohnsens than Ashtons.

If we can get more players in like that, Milner will be nothing but a quality weapon for us, and thats if he doesnt improve the consistency in his general play.

ive never liked milner right from the start.  Always thought he had less brains than a spastatic clampet (jess)  he often makes poor decisions and his finishing  ratio is too low. 

However i have to admit that in this very mediocre toon team he looks quite bright.

In reality though we have had bettter players than him and i hope we will get better RHS players in times  to come.  FOr now though we have to cope with the erratic yorkshire clod farmer, as the bank is empty and the dogs have run away...

I think at this point in time he has justified his 5m price tag, but hes still very average, will never develop into a world class player, which bobby was hoping for.

We have f*** all in the box so his crosses look wasted when in fact they're decent.

Agreed!

Milner for me has been our best player this season, he is consistantantly good and occaisionally excellent, puts in alot of graft, always looking for the ball, gets back well and has alot of joy going forward too in both shooting and now crossing aswell (Owen will appreciate these, i could easily imagine owen getting on the end of a few of those near post crosses last night). He is finding his groove and his confidence is growing which is very good for us. He also doesn't seem injury prone which is great.

Dumfounding really that with the likes of Luque, Pattison and Car around people have decided to pick on our most consistant player. 

have to agree there toptoon. maybe owen will make milner look decent.

atmo most of milners crosses are fallin to ineffectual strikers; martins aerial ability seems to be rather random, just like his overall form atmo.  Luque is clearly not a good header of the ball.  sibi is better at it than most, but he is bit slow at arriving in the box.