Jewell: NUFC 'not coming back' for Giles Barnes

biggs

And Newcastle have also put a £300,000 offer on the table for one of Italian club Atalanta's most promising young players, in a move recommended by incoming United technical director Jeff Vetere.

Interesting.

Yeah I like the idea of bringing in a lot of young talents...

But still we could use an offensive midfielder very soon....

joey barton not offensive enough  ?

He ain't good enough....

And Newcastle have also put a £300,000 offer on the table for one of Italian club Atalanta's most promising young players, in a move recommended by incoming United technical director Jeff Vetere.

Interesting.

Yeah I like the idea of bringing in a lot of young talents...

But still we could use an offensive midfielder very soon....

joey barton not offensive enough  ?

To some scouser in a shell suit i'm sure he is!

Would be delighted if this comes off, I think it would be a reality positive move, a young player with bags of potential in an area where we are lacking quality.

I don't think he's the finished article by any means, but I think, with time and the right coaching, he could become a real asset and the focul point of the team.

I agree with Toon's Taylor regarding the initial bid, I just hope that it doesn't serve to alert other clubs, it would be just our luck at the mo if Spuds or West 'am were to step in....bastards!

Guest johnson293

According to the report on SSN Website, while our bid was turned down, Derby said Spurs (who have expressed an interest in him before) hadn't bid this time, but they had a bid/enquiry from a Championship club.

But also that he will be allowed to leave this week, at the right price.

I hope we up the price for Barnes. One new signing will give the place a lift, whether or not they'd go straight into the starting line-up (i think he maybe would anyway, given our utterly shite centre-mid).

£2m is a pretty pointless bid. How in hell's name would we ever get an England prospect for that price? We'd potentially have to treble that; that's a total waste of time. I'd go as high as £5m, putting into play the inflation/fact that he's young/fact that he's English.

Guest nufc_geordie

Wouldn't pay anymore than £3.5 million to be honest. Decent player with some potential but I can't see him kicking on too far. A player who plays in a position in which we lack quality and depth, so would be a decent acquisition but only if the price is right.

Can also play on the right of midfield as well, though he's not a traditional winger by any sense of the word.

Could bring something extra to the squad, no doubts, but he's still not back to his jinking best after that injury he suffered.

And if we get a bid accepted, I'm fairly certain other teams might match it and he'd go elsewhere. Particularly to West Ham, who he apparently supports.

There seem to be quie a few people at Derby whodont rate him that highly, thats worrying for me, im hoping that with more posession he'd show more ability then he has done at derby, a year ago he was possibly worth £6m but now he's not worth that, i'd pay £4m max.

Can also play on the right of midfield as well, though he's not a traditional winger by any sense of the word.

Could bring something extra to the squad, no doubts, but he's still not back to his jinking best after that injury he suffered.

And if we get a bid accepted, I'm fairly certain other teams might match it and he'd go elsewhere. Particularly to West Ham, who he apparently supports.

Which is why i agree with Toon Taylor tbh. Fannying about now is only going to alert other clubs.

£2m plus add-ons is still £2m at the moment. Bit of a waste of time really, and in our situation where we really could do with a player or two, it's annoying to see us messing about.

I'd just go out and lump it straight up to £5m now. That is a decent price for him, because he's good and will get better. £2m's a bit insulting when you look at how much other young English players go for.

There seem to be quie a few people at Derby whodont rate him that highly, thats worrying for me, im hoping that with more posession he'd show more ability then he has done at derby, a year ago he was possibly worth £6m but now he's not worth that, i'd pay £4m max.

He was a real talent last year, single-handedly winning them games on more than one occassion. This year, he's playing in one of the worst teams in Premiership history, and he's not nearly good enough to single-handedly make a mark, like he could do last season. Derby fans were expecting him to blossom and take the Premiership by storm, but he hasn't (and not all of that is his fault), and they're disappointed with him.

He'd be a good signing, i'd be thrilled to see him come in.

Could be a useful signing, would certainly offer us alternatives to what we have at the moment, which would have been very useful against Bolton. I think getting a new face in would give the club a bit of a boost at least.

Could be a useful signing, would certainly offer us alternatives to what we have at the moment, which would have been very useful against Bolton. I think getting a new face in would give the club a bit of a boost at least.

Yep, exactly. Without even thinking about how he could improve the first team, he's young and highly rated and English and it would give us a bit of a boost, as 'big'-name signings tend to do. (He's more of a 'name' signing tbf).

And i think he could be a really good player long-term, too. When was the last time we had a young centre-midfielder? Jenas, probably. There's Ambrose aswell but he was nothing special. Would be nice to see us groom someone in that position, especially someone like him who's already got a lot of talent, like Dyer for instance.

He was a real talent last year, single-handedly winning them games on more than one occassion. This year, he's playing in one of the worst teams in Premiership history, and he's not nearly good enough to single-handedly make a mark, like he could do last season. Derby fans were expecting him to blossom and take the Premiership by storm, but he hasn't (and not all of that is his fault), and they're disappointed with him.

He'd be a good signing, i'd be thrilled to see him come in.

Yeh so would i, think he'd be a good player for us, by the sounds of it he isnt being used in a position that suits him. Would like to take o gamble on him to be honest. Would be the right blend of youth and forst team the Mort would go for.

Which is why i agree with Toon Taylor tbh. Fannying about now is only going to alert other clubs.

£2m plus add-ons is still £2m at the moment. Bit of a waste of time really, and in our situation where we really could do with a player or two, it's annoying to see us messing about.

I'd just go out and lump it straight up to £5m now. That is a decent price for him, because he's good and will get better. £2m's a bit insulting when you look at how much other young English players go for.

Can you show me where it's been made certain that we offered £2M?

I love how you think you have more of a handle on finances than the people who run the club, like :laugh:

So hyopthetically we've bid £2m and you want to offer more... What if they reject £5M because they think we'll instantly go to £8M, etc.? What if they think "oh well, if they've tagged on £3M once they must really want him, so they'll do it again!" Transfers are often cat and mouse and I remember in some instances Allardyce and the Chairman were applauded for not being made to pay "over the odds" for people, which saw us end up with Faye and Beye combined for less than £5M - when people would have probably valued them far higher in their own minds.

Weren't you just last week saying we should watch our spending? What you're advocating here is almost the exact opposite of that.

I'd like Barnes, but I think a few people are guilty of foaming at the mouth at the thought of ANYONE signing, which is meaning that logic isn't getting much of a look in.

The club just unveiled Kevin Keegan as manager, if that wasn't a big enough boost then I can't see the signing of Barnes doing anything in comparison.

I know what you mean, but after the past two results and lack of attacking ability on display it could start to go flat pretty quickly. Spending a bit of money will remind people that something new is happening, and that Keegan wasn't just a token appointment to appease the fans, if you get what I'm saying.

The club just unveiled Kevin Keegan as manager, if that wasn't a big enough boost then I can't see the signing of Barnes doing anything in comparison.

I'm not knocking the Keegan effect. I don't live in the city but from what i've heard, the knock-on effect of Keegan has spread throughout the place and everyone's interested again. And i honestly cannot wait to go up on Sunday; hopefully it'll be brilliant.

But we'll have gone three more games on the bounce without winning, our last win in the Premier League coming before Christmas, and results-wise things are a bit shit. If we get hammered again tonight we'll be on a bit of a downer.

Surely we will up the bid. Would be very happy with getting him in, has looked the best player in a derby shirt everytime i have watched them. Aye that doesnt say too much, but I think there is alot too him.

looks like thats 3 young attacking midfielders we are in for now. Tie them up and get Van Buyten in. Its so simple.

Surely we will up the bid. Would be very happy with getting him in, has looked the best player in a derby shirt everytime i have watched them. Aye that doesnt say too much, but I think there is alot too him.

looks like thats 3 young attacking midfielders we are in for now. Tie them up and get Van Buyten in. Its so simple.

:laugh:

If only they could SEE, eh?

Can you show me where it's been made certain that we offered £2M? >> * <<

I love how you think you have more of a handle on finances than the people who run the club, like :laugh:  >> ** <<

So hyopthetically we've bid £2m and you want to offer more... What if they reject £5M because they think we'll instantly go to £8M, etc.? What if they think "oh well, if they've tagged on £3M once they must really want him, so they'll do it again!" Transfers are often cat and mouse and I remember in some instances Allardyce and the Chairman were applauded for not being made to pay "over the odds" for people, which saw us end up with Faye and Beye combined for less than £5M - when people would have probably valued them far higher in their own minds.

Weren't you just last week saying we should watch our spending? What you're advocating here is almost the exact opposite of that. >> *** <<

I'd like Barnes, but I think a few people are guilty of foaming at the mouth at the thought of ANYONE signing, which is meaning that logic isn't getting much of a look in.

* Rich, Derby weren't going to accept a bid of £2m were they? If it wasn't £2m, then fine, i'll backtrack. But assuming it was a bid of £2m, i'll stick to what i said. Pretty much a waste of time really and it'll have only alerted other clubs.

** Get away man, what a weird thing to say. Does this mean i'm not allowed to disagree with starting line-ups aswell now, cos i'm not the expert?

*** Yep, and i still agree. £9m for Jonathan Woodgate would have been stupid, even in today's prices. £5/6m for Giles Barnes is an appropriate offer. Little EDIT: And if they were to make us pay more than £6m, like you suggest they might do, i'd just pull out. Like i said the other day, the worst thing that can happen to us is for us to be taken for mugs in the transfer market.

Our central midfield area is completely devoid of creativity. The fact that Barnes is a young, highly-rated, pacey attacking midfielder is what has got people excited.

I personally wasn't that arsed about Woodgate coming back or Chimbonda & Van Buyten signing, because I think the defensive players we have are good enough.

Signing Barnes would address the most pressing issue we have regarding playing staff which would therefore give us a better chance of winning games.

If we don't sign him we'll be relying on Emre, Lua Lua, Barton and an out-of-position left winger to provide our central midfield creativity for the remainder of the season.

:laugh:

If only they could SEE, eh?

Obviously a keegan and Mort masterplan to wait until the last day of the window before bringing 8 players in. Of course we wrapped alot of them up earlier, for example Woodgates transfer from Spurs was tricky, there was alot of guess work involved. Keegan sorted the Deco deal in the summer.