Jewell: NUFC 'not coming back' for Giles Barnes

biggs

hopefully, Newcastle are considering how much to up the bid by.

they call derby say, "we'll offer you £2mill for Barnes". Derby say no, "we value him at x". Newcastle say, "we'll get back to you", and go away to modify the bid.

media reports that a bid has been rejected

I don't see what's wrong with a £2m tbh. Everybody was laughing their bollocks off when the mackems paid £5m for Chopra and £6m for Jones.

Would be good if it happened, quite a coup because there are some decent teams sniffing around him.

Best plan of action?

Throw a shite bid in 48hours before the window closes.

I can see the logic in that.

Chill out man, they're not playing Football Manager here.

At the end of the day, money or not, they still have to try and get players in for as little outlay as possible.

Otherwise things could get very silly very quickly.

Why when ever someone has fuk all to say about something they respond with FM comments? Thought better of yourself.

Anyone who counters a football comment with that drivel is a lost cause imo.

Common sense would suggest Barnes is going to fetch a £5m+ price tag, so lets start there and make it quick with 48 hours to go. Its obvious Derby wont stand in their way, its just about the money, so get in quick before others are alerted and we don't have to pay through the nose when offering him a contract for him to choose us over London, because if others do come in, then you will see silly.

I find it laughable you're questioning my posting style after your recent attitude mate. You've lost your head this past week or so because we haven't signed somebody, anybody, big or small, black or white... you just want a player in through the doors for the sake of buying, because it's January and the transfer window is open and Keegan is here. Sort it out.

Well done for ignoring the crux of my post as well:

At the end of the day, money or not, they still have to try and get players in for as little outlay as possible.

The £2M fee may not even be accurate, it's in the fucking media for starters and hasn't been quoted by either club, the last offer Derby rejected was £4M from West Ham some time ago, if I'm remembering right, so it'd be odd if we offered half of that - what would have changed?

You're stringing the people involved up without knowing the facts though, simply because you're desperate for a signing here, and that's bad craic - more so than a tongue-in-cheek comment from a known FM player to another.

I don't see what's wrong with a £2m tbh. Everybody was laughing their bollocks off when the mackems paid £5m for Chopra and £6m for Jones.

Barnes is seen as a exciting product, Chopra had struggled for years to get first team football here, Jones was seen as a Championship player.

Barnes is seen as a exciting product, Chopra had struggled for years to get first team football here, Jones was seen as a Championship player.

Struggling to see what seperates Jones and Barnes. Jones was an exciting prospect at Southampton and Barnes has done nowt outside the championship.

Struggling to see what seperates Jones and Barnes. Jones was an exciting prospect at Southampton and Barnes has done nowt outside the championship.

Jones was loaned out several times to other clubs, he wasn't been alerted by Premiership clubs, I think there's a difference anyway.

United bid for Barnes vetoed

NEWCASTLE United have failed in a bid to bring Derby County midfielder Giles Barnes to St James’s Park.

Derby boss Paul Jewell turned down their unspecified bid yesterday – and the ball is very much back in the United’s court with the transfer window slamming shut in a couple of days’ time.

Jewell said today: "Newcastle did come up with an offer yesterday, a verbal offer, but it was nowhere near our valuation."

The 19-year-old midfielder, nephew of former West Ham winger Bobby Barnes, looks set to leave Pride Park, especially as Derby are heading for the Championship, although their new owners may try to keep all their promising young players.

The word on the grapevine was that Barnes was heading to his uncle’s former club at Upton Park, but United have shown their hand.

It was Barnes who grabbed Derby’s first goal in the 2-2 draw with United at St James’s Park before the turn of the year and he ran the midfield that day, especially in the first half.

However, United have had better luck abroad and they are tying up the signing of an Italian teenager from Serie A outfit Atalanta.

United are refusing to say who it is until he has put pen to paper, but they have put £300,000 down as their first payment on the deal.

The man behind the signing of is United’s new European scout Jeff Vetere, who has already started work at St James’s Park.

Vetere, who spent 12 years with Charlton Athletic and has also been with West Ham, has keen keeping in touch with the best young players on the continent after a short spell with Real Madrid.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/01/29/united-bid-for-barnes-vetoed-72703-20407463/

I have a feeling we will get Barnes TBH.

We've made it clear we want him, i think we will up our bid within the next day and sneak it before the transfer window shuts. Agreeing the fee is always the one that takes time. Medical and contract won't take much time.

I reckon 5/6m up front would be reasonable.

Would be good if it happened, quite a coup because there are some decent teams sniffing around him.

Best plan of action?

Throw a shite bid in 48hours before the window closes.

I can see the logic in that.

Chill out man, they're not playing Football Manager here.

Otherwise things could get very silly very quickly.

Why when ever someone has fuk all to say about something they respond with FM comments? Thought better of yourself.

Anyone who counters a football comment with that drivel is a lost cause imo.

Common sense would suggest Barnes is going to fetch a £5m+ price tag, so lets start there and make it quick with 48 hours to go. Its obvious Derby wont stand in their way, its just about the money, so get in quick before others are alerted and we don't have to pay through the nose when offering him a contract for him to choose us over London, because if others do come in, then you will see silly.

I find it laughable you're questioning my posting style after your recent attitude mate. You've lost your head this past week or so because we haven't signed somebody, anybody, big or small, black or white... you just want a player in through the doors for the sake of buying, because it's January and the transfer window is open and Keegan is here. Sort it out.

Well done for ignoring the crux of my post as well:

The £2M fee may not even be accurate, it's in the fucking media for starters and hasn't been quoted by either club, the last offer Derby rejected was £4M from West Ham some time ago, if I'm remembering right, so it'd be odd if we offered half of that - what would have changed?

You're stringing the people involved up without knowing the facts though, simply because you're desperate for a signing here, and that's bad craic - more so than a tongue-in-cheek comment from a known FM player to another.

Sorry i didn't read it that way, i found it very patronising.  :blush:

I know we've got to watch what we spend, i've said over the window i'd rather miss out on targets than be held over a barrel, but this is a different case all together. We've just alerted the prem to his availability with a seriously cheeky bid, and i bet the NUFC officials knew it had a 95% chance of being blown out of the water, i guess what they didn't expect was Jewell to come out and release a deadline day alert for the rest of the prem to take notice of.

If we go back with an improved offer, it certainly wont be the only one now imo, lets just hope Barnes has a soft spot for us, for some reason i think he has, don't know why, maybe his non celebration at the goal he scored against us eases my mind a little.

You think i've lost my head now? God forbid we lose out on Barnes for the simple fact we pussy footed around with stupid money, fractions of what it cost to get rid of Allardyce, my head will probably burst and you won't have to put up with me anymore anyway. :rant: