Newcastle 4 - 2 AZ Alkmaar - Post Match Thoughts

Dave

Guest optimistic nit

First-half diagnosis?

brilliant free flowing attacking football from both sides. i reckon you'd be hard pressed to find us playing better under keegan or robson. 4 technically sublime goals.

Second-half diagnosis?

quiet, good play by us although we really needed a 5th

Full-time diagnosis?

great game, and we showed some great technique that may have been missing from us recently

Star man for United?

i'd have to go for butt, parker, dyer and duff. Our midfield won us the game today, parker looked a bit lost when coming forward but both of them showed great vision at times and were nearly perfect defensively. solano, martins and bramble were just behind these three ireckon.

Worst United player?

Carr and Taylor. I'm not sure where carr was for the first goal, but had he been ashley cole the cross certainly wouldn't have gone in. Taylor gives away another pen.

Opposition comment?

shite defence, good attack

Toon-pros?

4 absolutely brilliant goals. 1st one great touch by duff and brilliant cross by dyer, 2nd was a great ball by butt, sublime flick by sib and world class finish by dyer. 3 was the best, was shouting my head of when it went in. oba had no right to get that into a shooting position and the shot was brilliant as well, keeper no chance. The 4th was a thinkers ball from nobby, great positioning from oba and sublime finish, even better than his first the finish was.

Toon-cons?

conceded two. going to be a hard second leg now

Post-match feelings?

mainly extactic at the quality of the goals, easily the 4 best goals we've scored all season by players other than james milner (and the oba goal vs spurs). slightly pyrric victory though, which leaves a bit of a feeling in my gut.

Guest magpies_rawk

by the way, the ref's decision WAS harsh. Even if we got a penalty under the same circumstances, i'd say it was harsh. no?

anybody see what dyer just said? i didnt know he didnt like playing right mid...

Common knowledge he prefers the centre. I thought he did well there, linking up well with Solano as usual and got forward well. Brilliant finish for his goal too.

After a fantastic first half,we had a shocker of a seconed

My Ratings :-

Given 7 - Dosn't take the blame for both goals,good save from the PK

Carr 6- Was pretty average,Takes a bit of the blame for the first goal,missed a good chance in the seconed

Solano 7- Good passing in the first half,no mistake..

Taylor 6 - Looked poor today

Bramble 8 - Some fantastic Tackles,Although he couldve done better in AZ's seconed goal\

Parker 7- Good display,some nice Tackles aswell

Butt 7- Same as Parker

Duff 7 - Good first half but faded away in the seconed

Dyer 8 - Well taken goal,some good runs in the first half,no impact in the seconed

Martins 8- MOTM,Two nice goals,shouldve made it a hatrick though,yet a good display

Sibreski 7- A very good assist for Dyer's Goal,little impact after that

Subs:

Milner 5- Poor,had very little of the ball and wasn't at his best

Emre 5- little impact,lost the ball alot

Overall team peformce 8 - Fantastic First half,a very poor seconed half though,now we will have to play twice as good in the seconed leg as they are one of the strongest side's in europe when playing at home..

Glenn Roeder 7- His shocking line-up turned up to be the reason we won,brilliant first half display but as they say "The first half is the players half,the seconed half is the managers half" , And our seconed half today was poor,Can't Understand why did he throw Emre in as a LW,Still a good peformence today

anybody see what dyer just said? i didnt know he didnt like playing right mid...

Common knowledge he prefers the centre. I thought he did well there, linking up well with Solano as usual and got forward well. Brilliant finish for his goal too.

i was actually joking, but yeah i thought he played well there as well!

At 3-0 after 20mins its stupid to have let them score 2, but 4-2 is decent enough.

Don't be so hard on the lads... no other team in Europe has scored more goals this season than Alkmaar. They were always going to come out and give it some in the second half. And the penalty was unfortunate in every respect.

Guest nufc 4 life

This ref is utter s***

Martins should have made it 5 at the end

I think we have big chance of going through

got to disagree ref had a great game

Guest Phil K

We score one away from home and that's it, tie is killed. Hopefully.

Don't agree.

But i think we'll score 2.

They'll score 3.

This ref is utter s***

i thought the ref had a pretty poor game tbh, he let the game flow but made/did not make some telling decisions!

First half we were incredible!

Second half tried to kill the game/ hit them on the break.

Martins MOM but many good performances.

Wasn't a penalty as ball to hand. Brilliant tackle by parker, i noticed that when given saved the pen (which was weak as piss) we didn't have enough people following in looking for the rebound. they had three/four players run in to our two so very disapointed with that, but overall delighted.

Parker was so unlucky on the pen. Outstanding tackle he had no right to win but it fell to the other striker.

yeah, and mixed with the harsh pen, it seems like unnervingly bad luck. hope it doesn't bite us in the arse next leg.

Bramble made (imo) as good a tackle as you will ever see, that was a goal all the way without a complete f*** up of a finish or a world class save!

that tackle was amazing, as was parkers from the pen!

what pisses me off, is that I have to listen to a durty scummy maken on radio newcastle, right after a newcastle united match...

i am ringing in to complain

Guest optimistic nit

should also mention a couple of other things. firstly being 3-0 up after 20 minutes definately contributed to our downfall. how do you play at that score with so long left to go? i certainly wasn't shocked that they came back into it.

secondly i thought the ref was sublime, a bit too lenient at times but its the best ref performance i've ever seen and deffo contributed to the stype of the game.

i feel dyers best position is up front but thats right up there with the best performances i've seen from a winger. he's not as good a shooter as martins, but deffinately shows more composure and would have finished off the 5th.

After a fantastic first half,we had a shocker of a seconed

My Ratings :-

Given 7 - Dosn't take the blame for both goals,good save from the PK

Carr 6- Was pretty average,Takes a bit of the blame for the first goal,missed a good chance in the seconed

Solano 7- Good passing in the first half,no mistake..

Taylor 6 - Looked poor today

Bramble 8 - Some fantastic Tackles,Although he couldve done better in AZ's seconed goal\

Parker 7- Good display,some nice Tackles aswell

Butt 7- Same as Parker

Duff 7 - Good first half but faded away in the seconed

Dyer 8 - Well taken goal,some good runs in the first half,no impact in the seconed

Martins 8- MOTM,Two nice goals,shouldve made it a hatrick though,yet a good display

Sibreski 7- A very good assist for Dyer's Goal,little impact after that

Subs:

Milner 5- Poor,had very little of the ball and wasn't at his best

Emre 5- little impact,lost the ball alot

Overall team peformce 8 - Fantastic First half,a very poor seconed half though,now we will have to play twice as good in the seconed leg as they are one of the strongest side's in europe when playing at home..

Glenn Roeder 7- His shocking line-up turned up to be the reason we won,brilliant first half display but as they say "The first half is the players half,the seconed half is the managers half" , And our seconed half today was poor,Can't Understand why did he throw Emre in as a LW,Still a good peformence today

what was wrong with the line up? there was balance in the team apart from carr starting at left back, i was quite happy with the team.

Guest optimistic nit

This ref is utter s***

i thought the ref had a pretty poor game tbh, he let the game flow but made/did not make some telling decisions!

ref had an outstanding game imo. pen was a bit harsh but it did hit taylors arm did it not?

I think Martins' miss will prove costly.

Im not overly optimistic, the result was better than I expected but the whole tie is now set up to come back and bite us on the arse!