Newcastle 4 - 2 AZ Alkmaar - Post Match Thoughts

Dave

This ref is utter s***

Martins should have made it 5 at the end

I think we have big chance of going through

got to disagree ref had a great game

I disagree. I thought he was too lenient with a lot of challenges where the defender took the man before the ball. And the penalty decision was an absolute shocker.

i agree about the ref, besides the pen decision, which was definitely iffy, he did a fantastic job, letting the players play, not getting in the way.

also, that bramble tackle was shockingly good. i was resigned to a goal coming, and then out of nowhere he made the tackle. i still dont know how he managed to make that tackle without committing a penalty, but great stuff from someone who usually finds a way to anger fans every match.

This ref is utter s***

i thought the ref had a pretty poor game tbh, he let the game flow but made/did not make some telling decisions!

ref had an outstanding game imo. pen was a bit harsh but it did hit taylors arm did it not?

yeah it did hit his arm, it was harsh but it was a pen, but i just think overall although he let the game flow he made some poor decisions. our players were just pushed off the ball and the play continued quite a few times.

This ref is utter s***

i thought the ref had a pretty poor game tbh, he let the game flow but made/did not make some telling decisions!

ref had an outstanding game imo. pen was a bit harsh but it did hit taylors arm did it not?

Could he do much else not to let it hit his arm? if he puts his arms any closer to his body he would have broken a rib!

Guest nufc 4 life

After a fantastic first half,we had a shocker of a seconed

My Ratings :-

Given 7 - Dosn't take the blame for both goals,good save from the PK

Carr 6- Was pretty average,Takes a bit of the blame for the first goal,missed a good chance in the seconed

Solano 7- Good passing in the first half,no mistake..

Taylor 6 - Looked poor today

Bramble 8 - Some fantastic Tackles,Although he couldve done better in AZ's seconed goal\

Parker 7- Good display,some nice Tackles aswell

Butt 7- Same as Parker

Duff 7 - Good first half but faded away in the seconed

Dyer 8 - Well taken goal,some good runs in the first half,no impact in the seconed

Martins 8- MOTM,Two nice goals,shouldve made it a hatrick though,yet a good display

Sibreski 7- A very good assist for Dyer's Goal,little impact after that

Subs:

Milner 5- Poor,had very little of the ball and wasn't at his best

Emre 5- little impact,lost the ball alot

Overall team peformce 8 - Fantastic First half,a very poor seconed half though,now we will have to play twice as good in the seconed leg as they are one of the strongest side's in europe when playing at home..

Glenn Roeder 7- His shocking line-up turned up to be the reason we won,brilliant first half display but as they say "The first half is the players half,the seconed half is the managers half" , And our seconed half today was poor,Can't Understand why did he throw Emre in as a LW,Still a good peformence today

harsh ratings from you here are mine

My Ratings :-

Given 7 - made some good saves

Carr 6- Average but did his job when called upon

Solano 7- Good passing in the first half,no mistake..

Taylor 7 - good play form him shame about penalty used his pace and strength to good effect

Bramble 9 - Very good performance today saved a certain goal

Parker 8- Battled hard as always good link ups

Butt 8- Same as Parker

Duff 7 - Screaming for the ball like a kid but had a vital role in the goal

Dyer 9 - Superb first half display and well taken goal second half he still battled hard

Martins10 -MOTM,2 great goals almost a 3rd his link up was great good composure and skill

Sibreski 7- Good assist very good first half not a great second

Subs:

Milner 5- Poor,had very little of the ball and wasn't at his best

Emre 6- good run just come back from fitness well played

Glenn Roeder- Really did show his critics that he does know what he's doing some of the time post match comments touting him as an idiot really did backfire

We need to score first over there, otherwise I'll be shitting it, basically.

It was a harsh decision for the penalty, but you can't really argue that wasn't a legitimate one. If I was Roeder I'd be really pissed off that only two of our players reacted after the penalty was saved, good on Parker and Titus though, especially Parker, it was a great tackle, which deserved one of our players to have shifted their arse to take advantage of.

I can't believe that Martins managed to miss that chance at the end though, the keeper was already on his arse, he could have just walked it into the net, but inexplicably hit him in the bollocks instead. Oba got the man of the match, but I thought he was really disappointing in the second half, but having said that most of our team was. They came out after the break as if they'd been putting their feet up with a nice mug of ovaltine or something during half-time, what did Glen say to them to make them play like that after the best first half I've seen for ages?

I thought Duff had a good half, for once and although Carr started like normal (ie shit) he was actually alright for the rest of the game. Sibi played really well in the first half, that touch to put Dyer through to score was pure class, but he faded in the second. Butt and Parker were decent in Midfield and battled well, the defence was alright, although Taylor looked a bit shaky at points and we were obviously pretty good going forward, at least in the first half anyway.

I should be delighted with 4-2, but I'm not, I'm a bit worried and I'm certainly not going to get carried away about getting through to the next round, there's still a lot to do.

Guest TampaToon

we get 1 goal over their, and they've got one heck of a hill to climb.  we score 2 and they need 5 to get past us. i think anybody would've taken this scoreline pre-match

What the hell happened when Carr was put through by Duff? :lol:

Im still not sure on that penalty, to me it was very very harsh!

Did Duff rape Martins dog btw? at least twice he had about 400 yards of space and Martins decided to pass it into Sib who had about 3 defenders round him!

Shay Given - 8. Virtually flawless performance from Seamus, even a penalty save. It really must have been a special night. Kicking was decent aswell - he actually found our men. Some great saves aswell.

Nolberto Solano - 8. Great performance from Nobby. His link up play with Dyer was constantly productive. He was everywhere in that first half; absoltely pinnacle point of our creativity then was always back to defend. Sloppy for the penalty but a superb performance.

Titus Bramble - 9. Practically perfect performance from Bramble. He was an absolute rock. His sliding tackles, his headers, his marking, everything - was fantastic. Thought he was a bit wayward for their first goal but other than that, he was just fantastic.

Steven Taylor - 7. Taylor had a good game aswell i thought. I can understand why it was given, but i still feel that he was desperately unlucky for the penalty. It was sod's law that it had to hit him there - he had his arms tucked right in.

Stephen Carr - 7. Yep, a seven. Above average. I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon and have a go just because it's Carr, because he didn't have a particularly bad game at all. Lost his man for the first goal but was very tidy defensively.

Kieron Dyer - 7. A constant menace in the first half, however faded in the second. The finish was inch perfect and his pressure play, combining with Nobby down the right, was very productive.

Scott Parker - 7. A really decent performance from Parker. Cosntantly diving in with sliding tackles, though this time - winning the majority. Still slow on the build up, but i really feel as if he prevented goals tonight. Major tackle for one of ours aswell.

Nicky Butt - 9. Outstanding. Cosntant battling - winning the ball and passing it. The good old English game at its best. He was a typical defensive midfielder tonight. He didn't miss a thing.

Damien Duff - 6. Duff started well, obviously, with a fantastic touch for the first goal. But he really wasn't in it and was unsurprisingly withdrawn, for me. He huffed and puffed a lot, as usual, with little end product. Atleast he was beating his man, though. Can't think of a cross mind you.

Sibierski - 6. Sibierski was fine for the first half. He got the ball and mixed it up. His grabbing of the ball, turning, and passing was very good at times and his touch for the Dyer goal was top class. However, slow and generally immobile and unreliable in the second period, as we've come to expect from Sibi. No problems with that, though.

Obafemi Martins - 9. Awesome.

The marks, on the whole, may seem a little high. But i don't think they warranted their second goal.

Did Duff rape Martins dog btw? at least twice he had about 400 yards of space and Martins decided to pass it into Sib who had about 3 defenders round him!

he tackled himself.. that was the first of his 2 tackles tonight

Martins does sometimes look like he's only just started playing the game. One of those instincts that you develop even as a kid is to play the ball quickly to the man in space, and it was really naive of him to try a different option.

My Ratings:

Given:    8 - Made some good saves, unlucky with the pen

Carr:        7 - Did his job no more no less

Solano:    8 - Good vision/passing, composed at the back

Bramble:  9 - Superb game, excellent tackle to stop the attacker clean through

Taylor:    7.5 - Lots of good interceptions. unlucky with the penalty

Duff:        7 - Very good first half, good skill for the first goal, tired 2nd half

Dyer:      8 - Lots of running, took his goal superbly, looked shattered as usual in the last 20

Parker:    8 - Usual commitment made some excellent tackles such as the one that led to Dyers goal

Butt:        8 - Steady performance in the middle. Battled well

Sibierski: 8 - Link up play in the first half was superb, good contribution

Martins:  9.5 - Loses 0.5 for missing the chance to make his hat trick. Superb game, took his goals brilliantly, good tricks, vision - MOM.

Subs: 

Milner:      6 - Didnt get involved, stuck a good cross in

Emre:      6.5 - Couple of good runs, lost the ball a couple of times

Roeder:    8 - I was personally quite happy with his line up before the game, shoved Van Gaal's comments about them being superior in the attacking sense down his throat. Second leg obviously open though.

good result; coold have been better if it stayed 4-1,

not a pen in a million years, even said so on dutch tv. maybe the ref wanted to make it interesting, i dunno, dunno what he was thinking

I think we missed Sibierski's presence when he went off - not a lot was sticking up top after that and their centre backs got too much time on the ball.

Good all round performance though.  We'll need to score at least once over there but after seeing their defence I don't think that'll be a problem.

Martins does sometimes look like he's only just started playing the game. One of those instincts that you develop even as a kid is to play the ball quickly to the man in space, and it was really naive of him to try a different option.

but at other times his link-up play was excellent. look at how many freekick he won too, shearer-esque. all he needs now are bigger elbows...

tnerv first 20 minutes we had a team that looked like they had been traing with the brazilians.... the thoughts from the commentator on five .....in know its only five...but i have to say that i have never seen then play so much good football, i just wish they could be more consistant