AZ Alkmaar vs Newcastle United - Pre match thread

Guest smoggeordie

"As things stand before the game, we do not have to score - and hopefully in the course of the game, we will not have to."

Quote from Glenn on BBC site.  :buck2: *shudders*

Keep the faith my boy. I don't see that there is anything to fear. It's a useless emotion - I don't see why human beings suffer from it.

"As things stand before the game, we do not have to score - and hopefully in the course of the game, we will not have to."

Depressing, AZ will have no trouble scoring two. I think we'll need two to progress, nevermind one.

This may just be a 'me' thing, but i'm finding myself more nervous about Fridays draw than i am about tonights game. Odd, but true.

if we go through, we HAVE to start at home! Really!

Surely it would be an advantage to play the 2nd leg at home?

Depressing, AZ will have no trouble scoring two. I think we'll need two to progress, nevermind one.

This may just be a 'me' thing, but i'm finding myself more nervous about Fridays draw than i am about tonights game. Odd, but true.

if we go through, we HAVE to start at home! Really!

Surely it would be an advantage to play the 2nd leg at home?

Yeees, but I'm in Newcastle when the home-leg is.

Still can't help but think we've over-rated AZ far too much, like Olympiakos 2 years ago. Yes they're doing great in Holland, but Ajax & Feyenoord probably have their worst teams in history. We'll score at least once tonight, and I don't think we'll concede three so all should be good.

Still can't help but think we've over-rated AZ far too much, like Olympiakos 2 years ago. Yes they're doing great in Holland, but Ajax & Feyenoord probably have their worst teams in history. We'll score at least once tonight, and I don't think we'll concede three so all should be good.

I completely agree with the Nut here. I thought they were fairly fucking terrible at SJP and incredibly boring to watch, aye we know you can pass the ball between the defenders and the goalkeeper, well done. Their lack of a right-back was something else I picked up on, one of their centre-halves was always yelling for somebody to track back and cover Duff. They do seem to have pace either side of Arveladze and Dembelele starting will probably make a difference to them, but I'm still confident we'll go through. 2-2 draw or something along those lines, but I favour us to win over them.

Hope this doesn't come back to bite me on the tukkus.

Guest MaartenTheMagicianMartens
I completely agree with the Nut here. I thought they were fairly f****** terrible at SJP and incredibly boring to watch, aye we know you can pass the ball between the defenders and the goalkeeper, well done. Their lack of a right-back was something else I picked up on, one of their centre-halves was always yelling for somebody to track back and cover Duff. They do seem to have pace either side of Arveladze and Dembelele starting will probably make a difference to them, but I'm still confident we'll go through. 2-2 draw or something along those lines, but I favour us to win over them.

^^ We played like our worst match of the season versus Newcastle.

I just saw some Newcastle supporters in the city, I hope they will still be nice after we beat you tonight.

Guest smoggeordie

I completely agree with the Nut here. I thought they were fairly f****** terrible at SJP and incredibly boring to watch, aye we know you can pass the ball between the defenders and the goalkeeper, well done. Their lack of a right-back was something else I picked up on, one of their centre-halves was always yelling for somebody to track back and cover Duff. They do seem to have pace either side of Arveladze and Dembelele starting will probably make a difference to them, but I'm still confident we'll go through. 2-2 draw or something along those lines, but I favour us to win over them.

I just saw some Newcastle supporters in the city, I hope they will still be nice after we beat you tonight.

They'll be lovely if you beat us 1-0.

They'll be lovely if you beat us 1-0.

O0 mackems.gif

Op Nut & The Janitor:

Just think about the Birmingham game and try rewritting that.

Op Nut & The Janitor:

Just think about the Birmingham game and try rewritting that.

Think about the fact that they scored two goals against us, away from home, during what was probaly our best (and their worst) performance of the season too.

They still managed to pass through us with ease when they did push forward, dominated the game, and had superior movement and linkup play compared to us.

Both teams' defences were utter shiite, we had the better individual attacking players and it showed on the night.

They certainly are overrated, which is no suprise given that most of their players probably wouldnt be wanted by relegation candidate Premiership sides, but they work well as a team and are able to pass and move, which is more than we can do.

Hope its a cracking game tonight, this past month the football has been immense, so many high scoring games with open, attacking football.

Guest TheOrder

Na, ya ganna gets cutz, aiiiiiiiiiiiiiii